Bengal Assembly Passes Resolution to Change Name of State
- West Bengal Legislative Assembly (WBLA) passed a resolution in favor of changing the name of the state from West Bengal to Bangla.
- The resolution was passed during the special session of the House which was convened exclusively for the purpose of changing the name of the state.
- Mamata Banerjee government had approved a change of name to either Banga or Bangla. The choice was simpler in English: Bengal.
- there was no consensus among the ruling Trinamool Congress and the opposition parties. The resolution to change the name of the state to Bangla was passed as it was supported by 189 members of the WBLA.
Indian navy set-up high level committee to find out extent of Scorpene submarine data leak
- Indian Navy has set-up a high level committeeto find out the extent of Scorpene submarine data leak and the damage to the Navy.
- committee will be headed byDeputy Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Ashok Kumar and based on the report of the committee; Navy will see what mitigation measures need to be taken.
- French company DCNS, which designed the Scorpene submarines and is in the centre of a global submarine data leak scandal, has, meanwhile, approached theSupreme Court in Australia seeking an injunction against ‘The Australian’ from further publishing the leaked documents on India’s Scorpene submarine project.
- the Indian government has maintained that the leak will not affect the submarine program and the capability of the vessel
- Scorpène-class submarines are a class of diesel-electric attack submarines jointly developed by the French DCN and the Spanish company Navantia and now by DCNS.It features diesel propulsion and an additional air-independent propulsion.
IIT Dharwad in Karnataka inagurated
- Indian Institute of Technology Dharwad(IIT Dharwad) will be an autonomous premier engineering and technology university located in Dharwad.
- The new Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) at Dharwad would start functioning from July, 2016 in a temporary campus housed at Water and Land Management Institute (WALMI) in Belur villageon the outskirts of Dharwad city.
- For the academic year 2016-2017, it will offer Tech courses in three core branches namely Electrical, Computer Science and Mechanical.
- IIT-Bombay would be the mentorfor IIT-Dharwad. an IIT monitoring cell has been setup at IIT-Bombay and the committee members had been designated as officials on special duty to supervise the process of setting up IIT-Dharwad.
Maharashtra & Haryana Assembly ratifies GST Bill
- Maharashtraand Haryana government has ratified the Tax reform bound GST Constitution (122nd) Amendment Bill 2016
- 11 states have passed the landmark tax reform: Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, Himachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Nagaland ,Delhi, Madhya Pradesh and Haryana.
Puducherry’s budget for the Fiscal year 2016-17
- budget size for the fiscal 2016-2017 has been fixed at 6,665 crore of which Rs. 4,100 crore is for the non-planhead.
- Almost 25% of the budget goes for salaries and wages, 10% for pension payments, 17% for purchase of electricity, 12% interest and repayments and 11% towards grant-in-aid.
- a slew of measures to revive industrial growth, promote employment creation and boost the tourism sector.
- Excise Department had been given a target of Rs.775 crores for this fiscal and the revenue realized by Excise Department last fiscal was Rs. 673.75 crores and based on the past performance the departmenthad been given the target of Rs. 775 crores.
Ordinance to amend the Enemy Property Act
- The Bill amends the Enemy Property Act, 1968, to vest all rights, titles and interests over enemy property in the Custodian
- Bill declares transfer of enemy property by the enemy, conducted under the Act, to be void. This applies retrospectively to transfers that have occurred before or after 1968.
- The Bill prohibits civil courts and other authorities from entertaining disputes related to enemy property.
India ranks third in Robotic Automation implementation in core Business Process
- According to Chartered Institute of Management Accountants,(CIMA), India ranks third in the world in implementing robotic automation in their core business processes.
- Zimbabwe tops the chart with (75%) professionals supporting automation, followed by China with a 67% of acceptance compared to 64% professionals support automation in India.
- Roboticprocess automation (RPA) is the application of technology that allows employees in a company to configure computer software or a “robot” to capture and interpret existing applications for processing a transaction, manipulating data, triggering responses and communicating with other digital systems.
World Population to hit 9.9 Billion in 2050, PRB report says
- World Population Data Sheetfrom the Population Reference Bureau (PRB),the world population will reach9 billion in 2050, up 33 percent from an estimated 7.4 billion now.
- PRB’s projections show Africa’s population will reach 5 billion by 2050, while the number of people in the Americas will rise by only 223 million to 1.2 billion.
- Asia will gain about 900 million to 5.3 billion, while Europe registers a decline from740 million to 728 million. Oceania (which includes Australia and New Zealand)would rise from 40 million to 66 million.
- the expected population of the top populous countries in 2050 as follows:-
India –1,708 Million (1,329 in 2016)
2.China – 1,344 Million (1,378 in 2016)
3.US – 398 Million (324 in 2016)
4.Nigeria – 398 Million (197 in 2016)
5.Indonesia – 398 Million (259 in 2016)
Business and Economy
TerraPay acquires UK’s Pay2Global
- Amsterdam based global financial network TerraPayhas acquired UK-based Pay2Global for an undisclosed amount following regulatory approvals.
- Pay2Global will be rebranded Terra Payment Services(UK) and will start services to key markets in Asia and Africa.
- Purchase by the TerraPay (Mahindra Comviva incubated company) will help the fast-track entry into the European market.
- Pay2Global is a regulated digital international money transfer company with rights into the European Economic Area(EEA).
NABARD granted Rs. 204.67 crore for Haryana under RIDF scheme
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned a loan of Rs 204.67 crore under Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF)for rural infrastructure in Haryana
- aid was provided under Rural Infrastructure Development Fund for projects including a 10 mw solar plant at Panipat thermal power station.
- Rs 147.18 crore has been sanctioned to the state government under the 22nd tranche of RIDF for 2016-17 for construction of three rural bridges, construction and upgrade of 26 rural roads in 10 districtsnamely Ambala, Faridabad, Gurgaon, Hisar, Jind, Karnal, Mahendergarh, Panchkula, Rewari and Yamunanagar.
- project aims at improving the facilities in the field of agriculture and rural development, improve the quality of life in villages through provision of better transportation system and round-the-year better connectivity to villages with nearby hospitals, educational institutes, godowns and marketing centers.
- the installation of 10 MW Photo Voltaic Solar Power Plant at PTPS would generate green energy which would have positive results for the environment and help in fulfilling the Renewable energy purchase obligations of the state.
Yes Bank launches its own mobile wallet Yes Pay
- Yes Bank has launched Yes Pay, a digital wallet which does not require that both the transacting parties be registered on it.
- Yes Pay is built as a Facebook appon the Android and iOS mobile platforms in the realm of digital payments scenario.
- wallet can be accessed through Facebook without any additional registration, Yes Pay has now empowered all social media and Smartphone users allow to both ‘users’ and ‘non users’ to send and receive money besides offering mobile recharge and bill payment.
- Wallet Yes Pay has associated with merchants like PayU, Euronet, Coupon Dunia, One Assist QuikWallet, ToneTag and Witty Gift to enable users to make seamless bill payments.
People in News
Former MP Governor Mohammad Shafi Qureshi no more
- Veteran Congress leader and former Governor of Madhya Pradesh Mohammad Shafi Qureshihas passed away in Delhi
- He also served as the Deputy Union Minister of Railways and got elected for Lok Sabha twice from Islamabad Parliamentary Constituency.
- He was the 19th Governor of Madhya Pradesh and served as the governor of Bihar as well and was appointed as Jammu And Kashmir Projects Construction Corporation Limited president twice.
Eminent painter, writer and art historian Dinanath Pathy passed away
- Eminent painter, writer and art historian Dinanath Pathy passed awayfollowing a cardiac arrest
- Pathy was a former secretary ofLalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi and Bhubaneswar and is regarded as the pioneer of the art movement in Odisha.
- He has apprenticeship in his brother’s atelier “Silpa Kala Mandira.” Later studied at Khallikote (painting), Bhubaneswar (Ph.D. in History) and Santiniketan (Ph.D. in Art History).
- Recipient of President of India Silver Plaque for Painting (AIFACS, 1988), A. L. Basham Memorial Award for creative research from the Institute of Oriental and Orissan Studies (1986) and Orissa Sahitya Akademi(State Academy of Letters) Award for creative literature (for the autobiography – Drawing Master of Digapahandi, 1993).
- he is a recipient of International Award in 98′ China Art Exposition and Kalashree Award for Iifetime achievement (AIFACS, 2001).
Science and Technology
‘Pharma Sahi Daam’ Mobile App launched
- Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Ananth Kumar has launched a mobile App called Pharma Sahi Daamon the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) foundation day function in New Delhi.
- App was developed by NPPA which shows the MRP fixed by NPPA for various scheduled drugs on real time basis of New National List of Essential Medicines-2015.
- 3A (Availability, Affordability and Accessibility) approach to achieve health security for every citizen of India.
- Two pronged strategy is being adopted by the government to deliver cheap medicines to the common man- one is through regulating the prices by NPPA and another is opening of PM Jan Aushadhi Stores which offers medicines less than 50% of the Market price .
New ‘green’ way to produce metals found
- MITscientists have discovered a new ‘green’ and less expensive method to produce metals without causing air pollution.
- discovery could lead to metal-production systemsthat are much less expensive and that virtually eliminate the greenhouse gas emissions associated with most traditional metal smelting.
- The material used is antimony sulfide, which is a molten semiconductor,which normally would not allow for the kind of electrolytic process that is used to produce aluminum and some other metals through the application of an electric current.
NASA’s Juno successfully completes Jupiter flyby
- NASA’s solar-powered Juno mission has successfully executed first of 36 orbital flybys of Jupiter our solar system’s most massive planet passing 4,200 kilometres above the planet’s clouds.
- This flyby was the closest contact ever achieved and will get to Jupiter during its prime mission.
- The Juno Aircraft was launched back on Aug. 5, 2011, from Cape Canaveral, Florida as part of the New Frontiers program.
- flyby was the first time Juno had its entire suite of science instrumentsactivated and looking at the giant planet as the spacecraft zoomed past.
- Over 35 more close flybys of Jupiter planned during Juno’s mission which is scheduled in 2018.
16-Year-Old Gurgaon Boy Develops App to Help Indian Paralympians in Rio
- A Mobile App has been developed by Arhan Bagati.He is 16 years old.
- The App will assist the Indian contingent in the 2016 Summer Paralympicsin Rio de Janeiro.
- Bagati is a student of a private school in Gurgaon and has been helping differently-abled sportsmen.
- App comes with various features such as Emergency contact details of the Indian embassy, Route maps to nearest disabled-friendly kiosks, SOS messages to specific numbers among others.
Nico Rosberg bags the prestigious Belgian Grand Prix 2016 title
- Nico Rosbergrekindled his bid for the drivers’ world championship by steering his Mercedes to a convincing victory in chaotic crash-hit Belgian Grand Prix
- Rosberg started from his third successive pole position, led from start to finish in a44-laps race fractured by accidents and incidents to secure his first victory in Belgium and his sixth of the season.
- Lewis Hamilton fought back to finish third.