Trains to Mizoram, Manipur including Kamakhya-Vaishno Devi Katra weekly train
- passenger train services to Mizoramand Manipur on the newly-laid broad gauge line
- Kamakhya -Vaishno Devi Katraweekly train has also been started
Defense tenders bagged by Finmeccanica cancelled
- Union government has decided to cancel all ongoing tenders for defence equipment won by Italy’s Finmeccanica.
- Firm is being investigated for bribery in the Agusta Westland VVIP chopper deal.
Rs.50 lakh fine on East Coast Railway
- National Green Tribunal (NGT) has imposed a fine of `50 lakh on East Coast Railwayfor operating an illegal railway siding without consent of the Odisha State Pollution Control Board
- the railway board to deposit the fine amount at the Jajpur Collectorate within 2 months as environmental compensation for five years for operation of the railway siding.
State-wide campaigns against malnutrition in Gujarat
- Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patellaunched two state-wide campaigns against malnutrition in all districts of the state
- two campaigns to provide iron-rich supplementary foodchildren and women, whether they live in towns or remote forested areas,
Ujjwala Yojana in Davangere district of Karnataka
- Ujjwala Scheme was launched by centre this month to provide LPG connections without security deposit to 5 crore women from BPL householdsover the next three years.
- 8,000 crore has been earmarked for providing 5 crore LPG connections to BPL households
six language versions of PMO India website
- six language versions of PMO India website, the languages are Bengali, Marathi, Gujarati, Malayalam, Tamil and Telugu.
Polls Cancelled On 2 Tamil Nadu Assembly Seats
- Election Commission of India has decided to call off the elections to the twoTamil Nadu constituencies such as Thanjavur and Aravakurichi that was postponed ahead of the May 16 polls in Tamil Nadu
- pronouncement comes after ECI’s found malpractices through large scale distribution of moneyand gifts to electors by the candidates and political parties
Business and Economy
India among top 10 steel importers in 2015
- India imported more than China in 2015 while India exported6 mt of steel in 2015
- China Exported during the same year at 111.6 mt
- Steel demand will increase by 5.4 per cent in 2016 and 2017 reaching 3 mt in 2017.
Science and Technology
NASA successfully deploys space station’s inflatable room
- NASA has successfully deployed the first trial inflatable room attached to the International Space Station
- to take up less room on a spacecraft, but provide greater volume for astronauts.
- The Bigelow Expandable Activity Module (BEAM)was built by Las Vegas-based Bigelow Aerospace under a $17 million contract.
- module weighs 1,400 kg and 1.5 metresin length to reach 1.7 metres beyond its packed configuration and an internal diameter of 3.2 metres
Malti Gyan Peeth Puraskars awarded
- Instituted by Mohinder Singh Syngle Education & Research Society in honor of its founder Malti Mohinder Singh Syngle, an eminent educationist.
- Award carries one lakh cash prize, certificate of excellence, a robe of honor and a medal.
- Award presented annually since 2013to Government school teachers from Punjab Government’s High & Higher Secondary Schools
People in News
AR Karve takes charge of Southern Naval Command
- Vice-Admiral AR Karveassumed charge as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Kochi based Southern Naval Command
- Currently the Chief of Personnel at Integrated Head Quarters, Ministry of Defence (Navy), Delhi.
- He was awarded the Ati Vishisht Seva Medalin 2013 for his distinguished service.
A V S Ramesh Chandra appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Romania
- Presently High Commissioner of India to Uganda.
Discus thrower Seema Punia qualifies for Rio Olympics
- She is the 19th Indian trackand field athlete to have qualified for Rio Olympics.
- Haryana-based athlete had also won a silver in the 2014 Glasgow CWG Commonwealth Games with an effort of 61.61m.
- Won the silver medal at the Commonwealth Games and a gold at the Asian Games in 2014.
Real Madrid FC wins 2016 UEFA Champions League
- Real Madrid FC won the 2016 UEFA Champions League for the 11th time
- They beat Atletico Madrid FC by 5-3 goals in penalty
- Earlier the team had won UEFA Champions League in1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1966, 1998, 2000, 2002 and 2014.