| [Download not found] |
Indian Government announces 2000 relief package for displaced people of PoK
- government is all set to announce an Rs 2,000 crore package for displaced people of Pakistan occupied Kashmirliving in India
- Jammu and Kashmir government has already identified36,348 families for distribution of the package under which each family will get around Rs 5.5 lakh.
- refugees from West Pakistan, mostly from PoK, got settled in different areas of Jammu, Kathua and Rajouri districts. they are not permanent residents of the state in terms of Jammu and Kashmir Constitution.
Electropreneur Park at Delhi University
- Government-funded Electropreneur Park, an incubation centre with focus on IP creation and product development to increase domestic manufacturing of electronics items.
- new units have manufactured around 11 crore mobiles and generated employment for 37,000 people.
- incubation centre has been set up through a consortium of government, academia and industry, represented bySoftware Technology Parks of India (STPI) Delhi University (DU) and Indian Electronics and Semiconductor Association (IESA).
- Electropreneur Park, will focus on IP creation and indigenous product development to increase value addition to domestic manufacturing of electronic items,like smartphones, smart meters, micro ATMs and set top boxes.
- also provides World Class RF and Power Lab Facility and Workstations inside Delhi University South Campus, Technical and Business Mentorship, Industry and VC network and a Range of Other Shared Services.
6th Tokyo International Conference on African Development held in Nairobi
- Sixth Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD-VI) was held from 27 to 28 August 2016 in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Conference held regularly with the objective “to promote high-level policy dialogue between African leaders and development partners.
- Japan is a co-host of these conferences. Other co-organizers of TICAD are the United Nations Office of the Special Advisor on Africa (UN-OSSA) and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
- TICAD-VI will be a milestone of the TICAD process, since it will be the first-ever TICAD Summit to be held in the African continent in its over 20 years of history
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe committed to provide $30 billion as public and private support for infrastructure development, education and healthcare expansion in the African Continent.
Business and Economy
Carborundum Universal inaugurates new R&D centre at Hosur
- Carborundum Universal (CUMI) announced the inauguration of its Research and Development centreat its industrial ceramics division in Hosur Tamilnadu.
- R&D Centre would further fortify company’s capability for sustainable growth & market leadership of wear-resistant & technical ceramic products in selected segments.
- certified by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) and has advanced equipment for material characterisation, micro-structural analysis, finished component analysis and other critical areas.
- will also be a Centre of Excellence for research in technical ceramics for industrial & advanced applications.
Sebi mulling relaxed norms for REITs, InvITs, startups listing
- Market Watchdog Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) has lined up wide-ranging relaxations to its norms for REITs and InvITsand an easier set of listing rules for startups.
- SEBI will consider these regulations in its board meeting next month.
- InvITs(Infrastructure Investment Trusts), REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts) Regulations were under review for the framework for Institutional Trading Platform (ITP) for startupsby the SEBI.
- slew of relaxations announced after Sebi observed that there is no single Trust has been set up as yet as investors wanted further measures under the REIT and InvIT Regulations in 2014.
- would allow up to 20 per cent investmentby such trusts in under-construction projects, up from a maximum of 10 per cent allowed now.
- also set to rationalise the requirementsunder the Related Party Transactions, under which approval of 60 per cent unit holders apart from related parties, and 75 per cent unitholders, apart from related parties, for passing special resolutions.
- Proposal also includes to invest in two-level SPV (special purpose vehicle) by the REITs and InvITs and will scrap the restriction on the SPV to invest in other SPVs.
Doha Bank opens branch in Kerala
- Bank also held an investors conference on Kerala-Qatar Investment Opportunities, which saw a participation of major investors and SMEs from the state and GCC and Doha Bank officials.
People in News
Bain Capital MD Amit chandra appointed as a Non-Executive director of Tata Sons Board
- Tata Group announced the appointment of Amit Chandra, managing director of Bain Capital, on the Tata Sons boardas a non-executive director with effect from August 26.
- Amit Chandra joinedBain Capital as Managing Director in early 2008 and is part of the firm’s leadership team in Asia.
- Amit R. Chandra has been the Managing Director of Bain Capital Private Equity since 2008 and also serves as its Head of Indian Operations.
- He is a Co-Founder of New Silk Route. For a part of 2007, he was a Partner at NSR Advisors.
- Prior to joining Bain Capital, he spent most of his professional career at DSP Merrill Lynch.
Mukesh Mehta named president of bullion and jewellers body
- India Bullion and Jewellers Association (IBJA)has been appointed noted jeweller Mukesh Mehta as a president of the body.
- Mehta has been associated with IBJA for a long time will fill the place of Mohit Kamboj, who resigned from the post.
- He is also the Director of Mark Bangles Pvt Ltd,has been a member of the IBJA Board since the last four years.
AM Naik names SN Subrahmanyan as next Larsen & Toubro chief
- Larsen & Toubro’s group named S N Subrahmanyanas the Managing director and chief executive officer of India’s largest infrastructure engineering company from October first.
- He is serving as deputy managing director and president of the company.
Science and Technology
ISRO successfully test-fires Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully tested its own scramjet engines from Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
- Scramjets are designed to operate in the hypersonic flight regime, beyond the reach of turbojet engines, and, along with ramjets, fill the gap between the high efficiency of turbojets and the high speed of rocket engines.
Microsoft announces new resources to report hate speech
- Microsofthas announced a new dedicated web form for reporting hate speech on its hosted consumer services and a separate online form for petitions to reconsider and reinstate content.
- Microsoft has also been active in preventing terrorist content from propagating on its services, the company has received less attention than its peers
- Microsoft work with governments, online safety advocates and other technology companies to ensure there is no place on its hosted consumer services for conduct that incites violence and hate.
- These initiatives are aimed squarely at reducing hate speech and increasing community by giving both sides a much needed voice.
Himachal Pradesh – the first state to launch mobile app for Ambulance Service
- mobile application for availing ambulance services with the launch of “108 Mobile App”.
- By doing so, Himachal became the first state to start mobile applicationfor medical services.
- app named ‘108 HP’ can be downloaded on any Smartphone.
- User will have to install 108 HP App after completing registration process user will get the unique registration ID.
- The device should be GPS & GPRS enabled while calling 108 HP helpline. On clicking the App, it will redirect on Google maps fetching user’s current position.
- 102 Janani Expressis also facilitating pregnant women from home to hospital and after delivery to their door step, and so far 82000 women have benefited through it.
- The government was spending Rs 1 lakh per day on the ambulance services to provide better facility to the people and till now 7.50 lakh emergency caseshad been facilitated.
Environment and Ecology
Agri scientists identify 8 varieties of wheat for better yield
- 55th All India Wheat & Barley ResearchWorkers meet which concluded in Hissar Haryana,
Agriculture scientists revealed that eight varieties of wheat and one of barley have been identified across the country.
- various aspect of wheat improvement were releasedand awards were given to the groups of scientists which saw a participation of 500 scientists from all over the country.
- Two varieties -HD 3171 and K 1317 were identified in North-Eastern Zone consisting of the states, namely, UP, Bihar, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Orissa and Assam.
- variety HI 8759 (d) was identified in the Central Zone’s Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Kota and Udaipur divisions of Rajasthan and Jhansi division of UP.
- durum wheat variety -3949 (d) and a variety for chapati making namely HI 1605 were identified in Peninsular Zone comprising Maharashtra and Karnataka.
- variety -PBW 723 was identified in North Western Plain Zone
- a barley variety -DWRB 123 was identified due to superiority in yield and quality.
Sania wins Connecticut Open doubles title
- Sania Mirzawith Monica Niculescu of Romaniaclinched a Women’s doubles title after taking victory at the Connecticut Open in the U.S.
- The Indo- Romanian pair capped off their newly revived doubles partnership with their first title together with a straight set victory over the duo of Kateryna Bondarenko of Ukraine and Chuang Chia-Jung of Taiwan.
Western Railway wins all India railway athletic championship
- In the 82nd All India Railway athletic Championship Mumbai based Western Railwaywon the overall team championship held at Tiruchirapalli Tamil Nadu.
- Central railway came in the second place and Southern Railway third in the overall team category.
- The Best athlete award in men’s category is awarded to Jasdeep Singh of Northern Railway and Best women athlete award given to Dutee Chand of Northern Railway.
- Among various events in the men’s category, Western Railway topped the list and in the women’s category Central Railway won the championship trophy.
- Gold Championshipof women’s 100 m race was clinched by Dutee Chand of Central railway and their counterpart’s 100 m race Manikantha Raj of South Central Railway won the podium.