| [Download not found] |
Delhi Budget 2016 – 17 presented
- 46,600 crore annual budget for 2016-17, pegging plan outlay at Rs 20,600 crore.
- An increase of 8,850 crore over last year
- Tax-free budget and rationalization of the VAT structure
- Allocated 10,690 crore for education or nearly 23% of the total allocation.
Sixth Economic Census report of Himachal Pradesh released
- The survey was started in 2012 and completed in two phases with 8303 enumerators, 3844 supervisors and 175 charge officers covering 24,932 enumeration blocks.
- First state in the country to complete the census and release the report
Haryana launches ‘Adapting homes for the differently-abled’ scheme.
- Six months’ pension would be given in advance to persons with disabilities for adapting their homes as per their requirement.
- This amount would be recovered over a period of 42 months under the ‘Adapting homes for the differently-abled’ scheme.
BHEL commissions 40 MW hydropower generating unit in West Bengal
- Estimated annual energy generation of 720 million units from the project
- Is expected to reduce green-house gas emissions
- Will help in achieving a low carbon development path for the state as well as the nation.
- Company has so far commissioned nearly 400 hydro generating sets of various ratings with a cumulative capacity of around 20,000 MW
Haryana approves Jat reservation bill
- Bill proposes reservation for Jats and four other castes namely, Sikhs, Rors, Bishnois and Tyagis
ADB, USAID to support India’s clean energy expansion plan
- MoU signed to collaborate on supporting India’s expansion plans for clean energy infrastructure.
- ADB to provide financing up to $ 500 million each to support rooftop solar, and expansion of the transmission network to connect solar parks in multiple states.
- USAID to align the components of its technical assistance with ADB’s current and planned investments in renewable energy.
Project to restore Noyyal River and its tributaries launched
- Includes installation of decentralized sewage treatment plants, developing parks where space is available and laying walking paths along the river.
- Project will be implemented on divide-distribute-develop model by forming committees for every 500 meters of the river.
- Initiative will involve educational institutions, businesses, the public and the Government.
- Noyyal River rises from the Vellingiri hills in the Western Ghats in Tamil Nadu and passes through Coimbatore, Tirupur, Erode and Karur to join the Cauvery at Noyyal village (total of 160 km).
Syrian Army recaptures historic city of Palmyra from IS
- mortal blow to militants who seized the city last year and dynamited its ancient temples.
- Palmyra is an ancient Semitic city in present-day Homs Governorate, Syria.
- loss of Palmyra represents one of the biggest setbacks for the ultra-hard-line Islamist group since it declared a caliphate in 2014 across large parts of Syria and Iraq.
Business and Economy
World Bank approved to Jordan and Rajasthan
- World Bank to offer interest free loan of $100 million loan to Jordan
- World Bank Board granted Long term Loan of $250 million Development Policy Loan for Rajasthan.
Federal Bank to open incubation centres for startups
- To set up incubation centers for startups in Bangalore and Ernakulam.
- To offer advice on capital, regulatory support and even disburse funds in the branches.
- Equipped with fast internet connections, support staff from the financial world and advisory mechanisms.
- Dedicated startup fund of worth 25 crore which will be utilized for funding or lending to promising startups.
Ola ties up with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance
- To provide motor insurance to its drivers. It will not only provide a cover for accidents, but will also insure theft of vehicles as well as damage
- Personal accident cover of Rs 2 lakh.
- Also working together to create a digital infrastructure that will bring insurance transactions like purchase or claims, fully online.
Science and Technology
Singapore Navy Test-Fires Barak Missile
- Successfully test-fired a Barak missile from its Victory-class missile corvette RSS Vigour during Fleet Exercise conducted in the South China Sea
Rotavirus vaccine launched
- Vaccine has been developed indigenously under a public-private partnership by the ministries of science and technology and health and family welfare.
- Will be initially introduced in four states – Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Odisha.
- As part of the Union Health Ministry’s universal immunization program to prevent diarrheal deaths due to the virus
- An estimated 53 lakh children under the age of one will be administered the vaccine annually at 6, 10 and 14 weeks.
Sun may produce devastating ‘superflares’
- Can not only break down radio communication and power supplies, but also affect Earth’s ability to support life.
- Super flares have been a mystery since the Kepler mission discovered them in larger numbers four years ago.
- The largest observed eruption from the Sun took place in September 1859.
Environment & Ecology
Union Government notified E-Waste Management Rules, 2016
- New rules focus on phasing out of non-recyclable multi layered plastic and increasing reuse of plastic waste
- Minimum thickness of plastic carry bags increased from 40 microns to 50 microns.
People in News
Indian-American named president CEO of bank of the west
- Indian-American Nandita Bakshi appointed the President and Chief Executive Officer of Bank of the West.
- will replace Michael Shepherd as Bank of the West’s next President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Global Catholic Network founder Mother Angelica dies
- Roman Catholic nun who used a monastery garage to begin a television ministry
- Had been in declining health since suffering a severe cerebral hemorrhage on Christmas Eve 2001.
Indian appointed UN adviser on human rights and businesses
- India-born academician- Surya Deva has been appointed UN adviser on human rights and businesses
- Responsible for strengthening the promotion and protection of human rights around the globe and for addressing situations of human rights violations and make recommendations on them.
63rd National Film Awards presented
- Best actress: Kangana Ranaut for ‘Tanu Weds Manu Returns’
- Best actor: Amitabh Bachchan for ‘Piku’,
- Best Film: ‘Baahubali: The Beginning’
- Best Director: Sanjay LeelaBhansali for ‘Bajirao Mastani’
- Best popular film providing wholesome entertainment: ‘BajrangiBhaijaan’
- Best Film Friendly State Award: Gujarat
India to host 2017 FIFA Under-17 World Cup
- World championship of association football for male players under the age of 17 organized by Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA).
- A big chance to present the Indian brand on the global level.
California Chrome lands world’s richest horse race
- California Chrome won a Kentucky Derby, a Preakness, and a Horse of the Year title
- California Chrome won in the Dubai World Cup
- This victory brings Chrome of $6 million to his $6.53 million career earnings
- Surpassed 2008 World Cup champion Curlin as the all-time richest racehorse outside of Japan.