| [Download not found] |
Smart city Mission Projects in Pune
- 14 smart city projects in Pune, and commenced 69 other works in other smart cities in the country to be implemented at acost of 1,770 crore rupees.
- Make Your City SMART contest intended to spur theparticipation in designing smart cities that making a strong pitch to consider urbanization as an opportunity to mitigate poverty.
Purchase of 145 Ultra Light Howitzers guns from the US
- Defence Ministrycleared decks for purchase of 145 Ultra Light Howitzers, worth about USD 750 million, from the US
- also approved bulk production of 18 Dhanush artillery guns, the first acquisition of such weapon systems.
- 18 proposals including new schemesworth Rs 28,000 crore for discussion.
- Navy to issue tenders,was the proposal to build six next generation missile vessels under ‘Buy Indian’ category for Rs 13,600 crore.
women’s helpline ‘181’
- a one stop Centre,envisioned to support women affected by violence in Nagaland.
- helpline will also provide 24 hour emergency responseto all women affected by violence, through referral and information about women related government schemes and Programmes across the country through a single uniform number -181.
- Sakhi-One Stop Centre’is a centrally backed scheme by the Women and Child Development Ministry to be funded through Nirbhaya Fund.
Colombia government, FARC rebels signed historic ceasefire
- Colombian governmentand Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebels signed an armistice and demilitarization agreement
- Purpose of the Agreement:Ended Latin America’s longest war happened in its coca rich forests and hills
Indian-origin lawyer Yasmin Sooka to chair UN commission on human rights
- South African Indian-origin lawyer Yasmin Sookahas been named as the chairman of three member UN commission (committee) to monitor the human rights situation in South Sudan.
- committee was constituted by the United Nations Human Right Council (UNHRC)
- other two members of the committee are Kenneth R. Scott (US) and Godfrey M. Musila (Kenya).
- Will have tenure of one yearand shall present a written report to the UNHRC at its 34th regular session in March 2017.
- will monitor the human rights violations and make recommendations for the process of transitional justice, healing and reconciliation.
Nepal bans citizens from working in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Libya
- Nepal to suspend issuing labor permits to Nepalese nationals for Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Libya.
- decision comes from cabinet meeting in the aftermath of 13 Nepalese nationals working in Afghanistan were killed when militants exploded a bomb in a minibus.
- government in the wake evacuated 24 other Nepalese nationalswho were working as security guard in the Canadian Embassy in Kabul following the terror outbreak
Business and Economy
$500 million loan for bridge over Ganga River in Bihar
- Asian Development Bank accorded $500 million to build bridge over India’s longest river bridge is in Bihar having distance of 9.8 km road
- Purpose:Transport connection between the Northern and Southern parts of the state and the neighbour country like Nepal
- will be benefited to middle sector people to commute to the state Capital Patna and other southern parts
- State government will provide reinforcement which is equivalent to $215 million
- The project is expected to be completed byDecember, 2020
Tata Trusts, Chicago University Tie Up To Work On Indian Development Challenges
- health vertical will scrutinize healthcare access through insurance with projects in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
- to jointly work on developmental challenges in crucial areas like sanitation, energy and the environment on a three year pilot basis.
- water and sanitation vertical will initiate a major project on decentralized irrigationwith water tanks in Telangana.
- energy and environment verticalwill examine projects to improve reporting of emissions by plants in Gujarat and Maharashtra, to provide rural electrical power via solar micro grids in Bihar, and to inspire individuals to pay for better electricity supply in Bihar.
People in News
Pioneer of Indian quizzing Neil O’Brien died
- Former Lok Sabha and West Bengal Assembly member Neil O’Brien has passed away in Kolkata on 24 June 2016.
- Neil O’Brienwas nominated three-time from Anglo-Indian MLA in West Bengal and an educationist.
- Also served as the chairman of the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE) and managing director of Oxford University Press, India.
Science and Technology
New bio-ink for 3D printing
- University of Bristol scientistshave revealed a new Bio-Ink for 3D printing using stem cells
- allows printing of living tissue called as Bio-Printing
- Bio ink consists of two various Polymer Components: A natural polymer extracted from seaweed and A sacrificial synthetic polymer used in the medical industry.
First flight of BrahMos missile from SU-30 MKI aircraft successfully conducted
- integration will extract the weapon a multi-platform capability while making the IAF the only Air Force in the world in procession of a supersonic cruise missile system.
- BrahMos Aerospacesuccessfully demonstrated the integration of most daunting supersonic cruise missile system BrahMos on Su-30MKI front-line strike fighter aircraft
Sprinter Dutee Chand qualifies for 2016 Rio Olympics
- Odisha sprinter Dutee Chandhas qualified for the women’s 100 metres at the Rio Odisha sprinter Dutee Chand has qualified for the women’s 100 metres at the Rio
- She clocked 11.30 seconds beating the Olympic qualifying mark of 11.32 seconds in the women’s 100m heats at a meet in Kazakhstan.
- She became the 99th Indian to make the cut for the Rio 2016, also Dutee is the first Indian woman to qualify for the fashionable 100m
- Legendary sportsperson PT Usha had qualified for the same event in 1980 Moscow Olympics.
Jitu Rai wins silver in ISSF World Cup
- Indian shooter Jitu Rai has settled with a silver medal
- He finished in second place and finished at 10th in the men’s 50m air pistol,he made up for that finish in the 10m category.
- Rai has been very successful at the ISSF World Cup bywinning six medals at the contest over the past three years