| [Download not found] |
Railway launches week-long drive
- “RAIL HAMSAFAR SAPTAAH”– a Week Long Celebration to showcase Railway Achievements during 2014 – 2016.
- Held during 26th May to 1st June, 2016
- To highlight the Initiatives and Significant achievements by Indian Railways in the areas of responsiveness, accessibility and improvement of passenger amenities.
first ever Passenger Satisfaction Survey at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport
- CBEC engaged a reputed Management School, L. N. Welingkar Institute of Management, Mumbai (WE School)
- To conduct a survey of Passenger Satisfaction levels of customs clearance process
- Focusing on three aspects– Information, Behaviour and Process.
Railway projects worth Rs 11,000 crore cleared
- approval for Railway projects worth Rs 11,000 crore for improving infrastructurein various states.
- group of projects include Bina-Katni 3rd line project at an estimated cost of nearly 2,500
- Vizianagaram and Titlagarh 3rd line project, will be constructed at an estimated cost of 2,335 crore.
- completion of these projects will be between three to five years.
Six new IITs, Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad upgraded to IIT
|5||Jammu||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Conversion||Indian School of Mines- Dhanbad to an IIT|
ex-post facto approval to Amendments in Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order, 1950
- move is to modify the list of Scheduled Tribes in respect of five States and identification of new communities in the Puducherryfor the first time.
|State / UT||Included Community in ST|
|Assam||i) Boro, Boro Kachari,
Bodo, Bodo Kachari
ii) Karbi (Mikir)
|Chhattisgarh||iii) Bhuinya, Bhuiyan, Bhuyan
iv) Dhanuhar / Dhanuwar
vi) Saunra, Saonra
|Jharkhand||viii) Bhogta, Deshwari, Ganjhu, Dautalbandi (Dwalbandi), Patbandi, Raut, Maajhia, Khairi (Kheri)
|Tamil Nadu|| x) Malayali Gounder
|Puducherry||xiii) Irular (including Villi and Vettaikaran)|
Nirbhaya buses with safety measures for women
- bus security measures include Vehicle Tracking System (VTS), CCTV and panic buttonson every seat.
- proposed 20 Mahila Gaurav Express buses in a pilot basis that would run between Delhi and Rajasthan.
Dial 139 for wait-listed ticket cancellation
- Earlier only confirmed ticket holders could cancel their tickets through 139 service and IRCTC website.
- move will pave the way for the wait-listed and RAC allocated train ticket holders can cancel their tickets by dialling 139.
- online cancellation by 139will be allowed only 4 hours before the scheduled departure of the train in case of confirmed tickets
- half an hour before the scheduled departure of the train in case of RAC and wait-listed cases.
Government waives off loan worth Rs 9079 cr
- Waived off loans worth over Rs 9,079 crorein a bid to restructure the PSU that owed by Hindustan Fertilizer Corporation Ltd (HFCL).
- Cabinet also approved transfer of 56 acres of ashdyke land of Barauni (Bihar) State-Power Generation Company Ltd to settle dues of HFCL
- Restructured unit will create 400 direct and 1,200 indirect employment opportunities in the circle
Bharatavani Portal, India’s largest online repository of dictionaries launched
- multilingual knowledge portal namedbharatavaniwhich has over 130 dictionaries, glossaries and terminology books in text and PDF formats launched
- Mysuru based Central Institute of Indian Languagesis implementing this ambitious project of MHRD.
- aims to foster national integration by highlighting on multilingual and cross-lingual learning tools and technologies.
- portal has been launched in 22 scheduled languages, which eventually will be extended to 100 more languages.
NITI Aayog Launches 500 Tinkering Labs for Schools
- It will provide one time establishment grant-in-aid of Rs. 10 lakhfor establishing and Rs. 10.0 lakh would also be provided for over a period of 5 years for operational expenses
- Atal Incubation Centres will provide pre-incubation facilities, common infrastructure and services such as technology development assistance, networking and mentoring, funding access, training and development, business support services.
GAIL reconfigures Rs 12,000 crore Jagdishpur-Haldia gas pipeline
|Phases||Total Span||Estimated Cost|
|Phase-1||755-km||Rs 3,200 crore|
|Phase-II||1200-km||Rs 5,565 crore|
|Phase-III||583-km||Rs 3,425 crore|
Actions on Air Quality Report released
- Air Pollution range increased by8% and affect the Air Quality, Report on Air Quality released by United Nations Environment Program
India becomes 5th largest producer of e-waste in world
- India emerged as the Second largest mobile market with 03 billion subscribers
- About 100 crore mobile phones in circulation, nearly 25 per cent end up in e-waste annually.
Business and Economy
Islamic Development Bank to open its first branch at Ahmedabad
- Jeddah-based Islamic Development Bank is all set to open its India operations at Ahmedabad in Gujarat
- objective is to foster the economic development and social progress of member countries as well as the Muslim community.
- move is part of MoU signed between India’s EXIM Bank and IDB
- a 100 million dollarline-of-credit was to be given to facilitate exports to IDB’s member countries.
- IDB will provide 350 fully-equipped medicalvans mobile clinics) to India, 30 of which will be received by Gujarat in the maiden phase.
EPFO doubles insurance for subscribers to Rs 6 lakh
- EPFO to closely double the maximum sum assured under its insurance scheme to Rs 6 lakhfrom Rs 3.6 lakh for its 4 crore subscribers.
Union Bank of India launches e-SBTR to facilitate stamp duty and registration
- a facility for a single window payment facility of both stamp duty and registration feefor home purchase in Maharashtra.
- eSBTR allows payment without any ceiling and is available on 24x7x365through internet banking.
- system improves ease of process and convenience for citizens by providing single window payment facility
Coverfox ties up with Oriental Insurance Company
- to facilitate the PSU’s comprehensive motor insurance product for both four and two wheelersin online mode.
- online portal Coverfox becomesthe first to offer such scheme.
Aditya Birla Fashion signs MoU with Forever 21
- California-based fashion retailer Forever 21 to acquire its India business from its current franchise Diana Retails
- deal comes with an unspecified amount that includes the online and offline rights of Forever 21 for the Indian market and its store network in the India.
Science and Technology
FSSAI bans potassium bromate, cancer-causing chemical
- to ban potassium bromate as a food additive in bread products on behalf the recommendations from a scientific panel
- 84 per cent of 38 commonlyavailable brands of packaged breads tested positive for potassium bromate and potassium iodate.
- It is a powerful oxidizing agent used for flour treatmentin bread and other bakery products because it makes the bread fluffy, soft and also gives it a good finish.
Maharashtra Mantralaya’s 150 Computers Attacked By Locky Virus
- Maharashtra’s e-governance platform Mantralaya’s 150 computershave been attacked by a malicious software
- irus blocks access to computers by encrypting important files from the Public Works Department and the Revenue department.
- damaged over two lakh systemsin Germany and the United States in the last two years.
- the information technology department isolated all the systems that went under the attack.