India’s first pilot program to run two wheelers on Compressed Natural Gas in New Delhi
- program to runtwo wheelers on Compressed Natural Gas in New Delhi to give options to reduce pollution on pilot basis.
- Implemented by:Indraprastha Gas Limited (IGL)
- Test program was launched with 50 Compressed Natural Gas retrofitted two wheelers
- first set of 10 CNG retrofitted two wheelers was started at the IGL Filling station at CGO Complex in New Delhi
Danapur-Saharsa Janhit Express flagged off
- targeting to connect every region of the country with the rail network.
- extension of three train servicesin Bihar and Jharkhand.
- Jaynagar-Saharsa Janki Express was extended up to Katihar.
- Patna-Murliganj Koshi Express was extended up to Purnea Court.
- Jasidih-Chandan passenger train was extended up to Banka.
- first passenger train to run on the newly constructed Chandan-Banka line.
District Level Advisory and Monitoring Committees to be setup
- to promote people centric planning and execution of new urban development schemes.
- committees will comprise of elected representatives, thus giving Members of Parliament (MP) and Members of Legislative Assembly (MLA) a say in the implementation of the urban development schemes such as HRIDAY, AMRUT, SBM, etc.
- Chairperson of the Committee will be senior most Member of Parliament appointed by the State/UT and District Collector or Municipal Commissioner of metropolitan cities will be the Member Secretary.
MoU singed between RD Ministry & ISRO
- for geo-tagging the assetscreated under MGNREGA in each gram panchayat.
- move comes government seeking for online recording and monitoring of assets to check leakages and for effective mapping of terrain for future developmental works.
- over 30 lakh assets areformed yearly across the country and the Ministry has decided that through convergence with other schemes, the geo-tagging of such assets will be done on a mission mode.
Assam as petroleum hub for South Eastern countries
- Assam asa hydrocarbon hub to meet petroleum requirements of Bhutan, Bangladesh, Myanmar and other Southeast Asian countries by 2030.
- entre would raise Rs 6,000 crore throughpublic sector oil companies in Assam’s petroleum sector in the current fiscal that would be primarily invested in exploration and production and increasing pipeline network.
- part of the total Rs 80,000 crore investmentto take the oil and gas production in Assam to 9.4 million metric tonnes by 2030
Britain votes to exit EU in historic referendum
- UK Prime Minister David Cameron announced the resignation as he is actively campaigned for the membership in EU
- United Kingdom voters have polledto exit from the European Union in a historic referendum.
- Global markets lost $2.08trillion
- More than 400,000 Britain peoplehave signed a petition to exit from the EU.
- Moody’s Investors Service downgraded the U.K.’s sovereign debt rating from stable to negative.
Nagpur inks sister city pact with Jinan in China
- agreement to be sister cities that allows for exchange of ideas and technology in the fields of education, sports, youth affairs, urban planning among other areas.
- agreement valid for five years and can be extended by another five years.
India, Switzerland ink MoU
- to establish formal cooperation in the fieldsof skills development and vocational and professional education and training.
- aims to promote Swiss vocational and professional education and training internationally.
- both sides will complement the existing commitmentto professional skills development and vocational and professional education and training.
Business and Economy
Amended Income Tax rules to end uncertainty over General Anti-Avoidance Rules
- to end the improbability over the General Anti Avoidance rules as it is expected to start with effective from 01.04.16
- An Anti-Tax avoidance regulation of India Focused at transactions made particularly to avoid taxes
RBI releases framework on payments systems
- aims at building best of class payment and settlement systems for a Cash –Less Indiaand ensuring access of mobile banking services to even basic phone users.
- ways of developing the infrastructureand regulations in the country to reduce cash transactions and increase use of technology.
- Service providers will be fortified to use technologyto deliver innovative easy to use mobile grounded payment solutions in an interoperable environment without compromising on security.
Cygni Energy is first firm to benefit from Start-Up Indi
- Cygni Energybecomes first startup to avail benefits under Start-up India Action Plan offered by the government after it met the required criteria of being an innovative business.
- Company works in the renewable energy sector andwas founded a year ago
- Cygni Energy is applying for patent under the fast-track modemeant for startups for its inverterless solar energy technology.
IIT-Kanpur professor Sanjay Mittal awarded 2015 GD Birla Award
- has been honored for his contributions in the area of Bluff Body Flows flows past blunt bodies associated with large unsteady separation and leading to large fluid forces.
- Award is given for Scientific Research was instituted in 1991 by the K. K. Birla Foundation in honour of the Indian philanthropist Ghanshyam Das Birla.
People in News
Nokia appoints Sanjay Malik as India head
- He succeeds Sandeep Girotra, who has been heading Indian market since 2001. Malik joined Nokia back in 2000.
- Malik will lead customer operations, drive the business growth strategy and superior customer engagement services.
- Malik is currently Head of Network Implementation(NI) at Nokia Global Services and is credited with efficiently driving growth and delivering strong performance.
Kumble appointed India’s head coach for one year
- The decision was announced in the annual conclave in Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh.
- His tenure would be for One year. He was among 57 candidates who appliedfor the position
- He has earlier mentored two IPL Sides namely Mumbai Indians and Royal challengers.
- Kumble was appointed Chairman of the ICC Cricket Committee in 2012, a position he still holds.
- He was awarded Padma Shri and also received Arjuna Award.
Aveek Sarkar resigns as Chief Editor of ABP Group
- he is set to continue as the chairman of the group.
- Anirban Bhattacharyawas appointed as the Editor of the Ananda Bazaar Patrika and R Rajagopalan was named as the Editor of The Telegraph.
- Aveek Sarkar will be work as an advisory role as Editor (Emeritus) and Vice Chairman of the company.
Vikas Krishan settles for bronze medal in AIBA qualifiers
- During his quarterfinal contest against Korea’s Lee Dongyun he was ruled out of the semifinal clash owing to a cut on his forehead.
- won 3-0 to makethe semifinal and assured himself of an Olympic quota berth.
- India will present with three Indian boxersVikas and Manoj, Shiva Thapa (56kg)that have qualified for the Olympic Games.
Russian Hockey Player Artemi Panarin Wins NHL Calder Memorial Trophy
- Calder Memorial Trophy is an award given to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League (NHL).
- Before the awardee is selected voting is conducted by members of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association at the conclusion of each regular season.
Environment and Ecology
Swachhta Mission to be implemented in 10 prominent wildlife sanctuaries
- Focus:Keeping the Wildlife Sanctuaries, Tiger reserves and National Parks pollution-free and Ensure cleanliness & Waste Management.
- National Parks:
♦ Gir National Park, Gujarat
♦ Coringa Wildlife Sanctuary, Andhra Pradesh
♦ Flamingo Sanctuary, Maharashtra
♦ Kanha Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh
♦ Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve, Maharshtra
♦ Nagarhole Tiger Reserve, Karnataka
♦ Periyar Tiger Reserve, Kerala
♦ Sariska Tiger Reserve, Rajasthan
♦ Mudumalai Tiger Reserve, Tamil Nadu
♦ Jim Corbett Tiger Reserve, Uttarakhand
Darjeeling zoo to receive snow leopard from London’s Dudley Zoological Gardens
- will get a two-year-old male snow leopard named Makalufrom Dudley Zoological Gardens (DZG) in Britain.
- eopard will be brought to Darjeeling zoo for a global conservation breeding program. Which is listed as endangered on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
- Leopard, named Makaluwho gets his name from the world’s fifth highest peak rising to 8,463 metres on the south-east side of the Everest.
Early humans in East Africa used poison-tipped bone arrows
- Scientists discovered that bone tools were used for hunting, and poison arrow tips in eastern Africaover 13,000 years ago.
- researchers were from the Australian National University and Saint Louis University,studied seven bone artefacts recovered from the Kuumbi Cave, five bone projectile points, a bone awl, and a notched bone tube.