13 cities as Smart Cities
- Seven more capital cities will be entered to the smart city competition.
- They are Patna, Shimla, Naya Raipur, Itanagar, Amaravati, Bengaluru and Thiruvananthapuram.
Odisha Official Language (Amendment) Ordinance 2016 promulgated
- Odia languageas a tool for communication in official matters.
- the state government also announced to set up a University of Odia languageand literature to facilitate teaching and research on the same.
Minister of Railways inaugurated five new activities
|1||New AC Weekly Express train between H. Nizamuddin-Pune|
|2||Expansion of VIKALP Scheme of Alternate Train Reservation to Delhi-Howrah, Delhi- Chennai, Delhi-Mumbai and Delhi-Secunderabad Circuits,|
|3||Hand Held Terminals that makes Sale of Unreserved Tickets in Pilot Basis.|
|4||Launching of Ergonomically Redesigned & Optimised Tools for Track Gangs, Keymen & Patrolmen|
|5||Improving Safety at Unmanned Level Crossing in pilot basis.|
Telangana govt signs MoU with Eclat Health Solns
- Telangana government has signed a MoU with US-based healthcare tech firm Eclat Health Solutions
- will invest USD 15 million in the state to provide 1,000 jobs,
NGT bans over 10-year-old light, heavy diesel vehicles in six Kerala cities
- Following cities where the ban will be in force, Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Kochi, Thrissur, Kozhikode and Kannur.
- If any violations found on the road, the vehicle bearer shall pay Rs. 5000 as environmentalcompensation and this will be collected by traffic police/pollution control board.
- Purpose: World leaders to be committed to improving the humanitarian responses to crises
- Features of the Summit:
World leaders to align themselves with the five core responsibilities
ii. Preventing and ending conflicts
iii. Respecting the rules of war
40 million Indians at risk from rising sea levels: UNEP
- over 40 million people in Indiawill be put at risk from rising sea levels by 2050.
- Report points out Mumbai and Kolkata having the maximum exposure to coastal flooding in future due to rapid urbanisation and economic growth.
- Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, and the Philippines,are expected to have storm surge with a combined total of over 58 million people at risk by 2050.
- global urban populations are projected to scale up by 5 billion by 2050, with nearly 90 per cent of the increase in Asia and Africa.
IIM-A, IIM-B climb positions on Financial Terms Executive Education rankings
- Ranking Status:
i) Open Category
IIM-B shifted the rank from 53rd to 57thin the year 2016
IIM-A debuted at 67th rank
IIM-B top ranked among Indian B Schools
- iii) Custom executive education category
For executive education at 47th rank from 57th rank in 2015
IIMA was ranked at 74th position from 83rd rank in 2015
India bans nationals from travelling to Libya
- External Affairs Ministry has banned Indian nationals from travelling to Libya in view of prevailing security situation in the country,
- Move comes after reports of a Libyan former minister being killed in clashes between unity government forces and fighters of the ISIS group in Sirte.
Business and Economy
India signs loan agreement with World Bank for IBRD loan of US$ 100 million
- for the Karnataka Urban Water Supply Modernization project
- Project is aimed to provide city-wide access to a continuous piped water supplyin the eligible cities in Karnataka and also to reinforce the service delivery arrangements across the city.
India Post payments bank to be operational from March 2017
- Proposal to start the Payments will be kept before the cabinet and postal payments bank will become operational from next march.
- Ministry will invest about800 crore, Rs.400 croreby the department and the remaining amount will be equity part which is aimed for financial inclusion.
Mahindra incorporates Trringo as wholly-owned subsidiary
- Vehicles major has incorporated with an initial subscription of 50,000 shares of Rs 10 each aggregating Rs 5 lakh as a wholly-owned subsidiary of it.
- Trringo will utilise a proprietary digital platform as a platform to process orders and pass them on to the nearest franchisee through location-based mapping.
People in News
Sarbananda Sonowal to be sworn in as Assam CM
- First BJP Government in Assam
- Sarbananda Sonowaltook charge as the Chief Minister of the state along with 11 ministers.
FIFA’s acting Secretary General Markus Kattner sacked
- Markus Kattnerhas been dismissed from his position with the immediate effect after a probe found violations in his fiduciary responsibilities in employment contract.
- arkus took over as acting general secretary after Jerome Valcke was sacked due to irregularities in his administration in the illegal sale of tickets for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
- He joined Fifa in 2003 as director of finance, being promoted as deputy secretary general in 2007.
F45 India appoints ex-cricketer Brett Lee as brand ambassador
- F45 also making its entry into the launching its first fitness studio in Hyderabad
- also planning to open as many as 300 outlets under the franchise model
- F45 is expanded as Functional 45, now has over 400 franchises sold in under three years.
Afghan Taliban sources confirm death of leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour
- Taliban supremo Mullah Akhtar Mansourwas killed in a US drone airstrike attack in a remote area of south-west Pakistan, near the Afghan border.
- UN reports claiming that he had an active role in drug trafficking.
Science and Technology
Scientists detect faintest galaxy ever
- Faintest early-universe galaxy ever furthest galaxy that is13 billion light years far from Earth.
- A finding that can help explain how the cosmic dark ages
- Existence of the faint object would outhouse light on the reionization time, when stars were first seen.
Over 31,000 in China set dance record
- Over 31,000 people in Beijing, Shanghai and four other cities in china have created a new feet by performing choreographed dance moves together for more than five minutes.
- Participants include generally middle-aged and elderlywomen
- 31,697 peoplesets a Guinness World Records for mass plaza dancing in multiple location.