| [Download not found] |
Kochi gets India’s first ever Water Metro Project
- water metro project is a part of the ongoing Kochi Metro Rail Limited.
- integrated water transport project is to be implemented in two phases and should be fully operational by 2019.
- project is estimated at a cost of747 crores.
- Germany’s Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau(KfW) will provide financial assistance of 85 million (approximately Rs 597 crore) and the Kerala government will give Rs. 102 crore.
Tamil Nadu and UP tops the list in Urban and Rural Internet Connectivity Index list respectively
|· State||· No. of users in Million|
|· Tamil Nadu||· 21|
|· Maharashtra||· 19.7|
|· Delhi||· 19.6|
|· Karnataka||· 17|
|· UP||· 12|
Foundation stone for the World Bank funded – MSME centre
- foundation stone for anMSME technology centre under a World Bank-funded program at Visakapatnam.
- TCSP project is enforced by theUnion Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) and this project is funded by the World Bank.
- center is established under a huge sum of 140 crores for supporting the industries, particularly MSMEs by providing access to advanced manufacturing technologies, skilling manpower and providing technical and business advisory support to enterprises.
- center will be established and the villages around this center will be provided with development packages and house construction activities.
Motor Bike Rally “Ride 4 Accessibility” for Accessible India Campaign organized in New Delhi
- The event saw a participation of more than 500 young men and women motorcycle riders.
Madhav Chitale committee constituted to prepare guidelines for desiltation of River Ganga
- desiltation process is going to be carried out fromBhimgauda (Uttarakhand) to Farakka (West Bengal).
- also establishes difference between desilting and sand mining and also the need for desilting for ecology and free flow of the holy Ganga.
INS Viraat, Navy’s ‘Grand Old Lady’, Sets Sail For One Last Time
- India’s majestic aircraft carrier, INS Viraataka “Grand Old Lady” of Indian Navy set sail for one last time from Mumbai to Kochi.
- will be decommissioned later this year. served the Indian Navy with distinction for almost three decades.
- second aircraft carrier of the country has spent 29 years under the Indian flag and 27 years with the Royal Navy (United Kingdom).
- INS Viraat was commissioned into the Indian Navy on May 12, 1987.
- ship holds theGuinness Record for being the oldest serving warship.
Maharashtra CM launches pilot project of e-complaint system
- a pilot project of e-complaint systemon an trail basis in the concluding ceremony of 14th Maharashtra
- pilot e-complaint iniative by the Pune Police helps citizens to file a police complaint from and also avoid making unnecessary rounds of the police stations for registering complaints in the days to come.
- Maharashtra is the first state to implement the Right to Services Act
Three day BSF – BGB meet kick started at Agartala, Tripura
- both the nations are at the height of good relations and want to further improve through these kinds of routine’ Border Coordination meetings’.
People in News
Goutam Ghose, Bappi Lahiri conferred Bengal’s ‘Mahanayak Award’
- director-actor Kaushik Gangulywas also honored with the award for best director.
- Mahanayak Sammanawards were given away to the filmmaker Goutam Ghose and composer-singer Bappi Lahiri.
- The awards were instituted in 2012 in the memory of Bengali matinee idol Uttam Kumar who is revered in this part of India as Mahanayak
NSE revamps board; appoints Mohandas Pai, 2 others as directors
- Mumbai based National Stock Exchange of India has appointed 3 new public interest directors including chairman of Manipal Global Education Services and Infosys former director Mohandas Pai.
- other two appointees viz Naved Masoodwho was the secretary at the Ministry of Corporate Affairs in the past and Dinesh Kanabar who worked with KPMG India’s as a deputy chief executive.
Business and Economy
Karbonn launches third manufacturing unit in Haryana
- Indian smartphone brand Karbonn Mobileshas setup of a new mobile manufacturing plant in Bawal, Haryana.
- manufacturing facility has 22 assembly lines and is expected to manufacture 30 million mobile units per year.’
- will help skill 4,000employees to be part of its Workforce.
- Karbonn Mobiles currently manufacturing 5 million units in a month and it will be increased to 2.5 million by the end of 2016.
Science and Technology
CSIR-CMERI develops Solar Power Tree for generation of electricity from solar energy
- Solar Power Tree harnesses solar energy for producing electricity with an innovative vertical arrangement of solar cells.
- The estimated cost of the system is around 5 Lakh rupees for a 5 KW specification.
Oil-degrading bacteria to undergo field trials
- Malabar Botanical Garden and Institute of Plant Sciences, Kozhikode, has joined hands with Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL)for field trials to establish the oil-degrading properties of three new strains of bacteria
- Scientists isolate the key hydrocarbon-degrading enzyme produced by the bacteria.
- A pilot plant is being established at
- a safer, environment-friendly mechanism to clean up the contamination caused by petroleum products.
Neeraj Chopra becomes 1st Indian to set world record in Junior Athletics Championship
- first Indian athleteto become a world champion after he clinched a gold medal at the U-20 World Championships held in Bydgoszcz, Poland.
- he also produced new U-20 world record by throwing the javelin a stupendous distance of 86.48m. His mark is also a new national record.
- Javelin thrower broke the old mark of 84.69 metres held by Latvian Zigismunds Sirmais by nearly two metres.
- Union Sports Minister Vijay Goelannounced a cash reward of 10 lakh.