| [Download not found] |
foundation stone of Ujh bridge in J&K laid
- foundation stone of bridge at Ujh Bridgelaid in Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Rs 44 crore has been earmarked that will have 1020 metre lengthto be constructed over river Ujh
- bridge will be completed in two years by Border Roads Organizationthat would benefit over three lakh people in this border belt.
Manohar Parrikar Visits Oman
- Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar set to visit to the Sultanate of Omanfrom 20 to 22 May 2016
- he visited the Military Technology College and the Sultan’s Armed Forces Museumin Muscat.
- also attended a reception at Sultan Qaboos Port tomark the goodwill visit to Oman of INS Delhi, INS Deepak and INS Tarkash.
‘E-municpal council’ building to come up in Bundi, Rajasthan
- to provide files at a click, and detailed digital mapping with a database of its demographical and geographical information.
- the municipal data files will soon be digitised and can be accessed from anywhere on phones and computers.
- council office would make its revenue by selling accurate dataand documents to the other government and non-government departments.
- proposed office comes with solar panelsand biometric entry and exit, that allows anyone would be able to view data on screen with a click through an ‘e-processor’.
Prime Minister Modi Visit to Iran
- the first by an Indian Prime Minister in 15 years
- India and Iran sign12 bilateral agreements including Chabahar port development
- India, Iran, Afghanistanink historic trilateral transit pact
- Persian service of All India Radio has launched a multimedia website and mobile app
Pune tops India’s value 5 star hotel destinations
- Pune has emergedas the best five star hotels destination where Indian travellers paid in 2015.
- Eight Indian cities featured as prominent destinations that offer best value five star accommodations, including cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore and Kolkata.
India, Thailand, Myanmar to be connected with a 1400-km road
- to give fillip to trade and cultural exchangesbetween the three countries
- Will link India with Southeast Asia by land for the first time in decades.
- There are 73 bridges totally in Myanmar, built more than seven decadesago were being repaired with funding from India for highway safe movement.
- Repair work will take about 18 months fromthe commencement of the work.
Business and Economy
Bayer offers to acquire Monsanto for $ 62 billion
- German pharmaceutical and chemical giant Bayer AGhas offered to buy U.S. seeds company Monsanto for $62 billion
- both the sides would benefit from Monsanto’s leadership in seeds and traits and Bayer’s broad crop protection product line across a wide-ranging indications and crops.
People in News
Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Tamil Nadu Chief Minister for the second continuous Time.
- AIADMK won134 seats out of 232 seats
- Jayalalithaa was sworn in asTamil Nadu Chief Minister for a record of Sixth Time
Lt General Saini new commandant of Indian Military Academy
- Prior to his new appointment Saini was earlier a senior directing staff in National Defence College in New Delhi.
- an alumni of National Defence Academy and IMA.
- In 1981, he was commissioned to the seventh battalion of the Jat regiment.
Veteran CPI(M) leader K Anirudhan passes away
- K Anirudhanhas died due to old age related ailments
- part of the CPM’s state committee earlier was elected to the Kerala Legislative Assembly three times.
- in 1967 Lok Sabha elections he represented from Attingal constituency
Science and Technology
- Necessity:Capable of launching satellites into orbit around earth and reentering the atmosphere
- It re-entered to earth’s atmosphere at a hypersonic speed of more than 5 Mach.
- Touched down the Bay of Bengal between Chennai and the Andaman archipelago.
INS Tarmugli Joins the Indian Navy
- for deployment of coastal patrol and surveillance operations along the East Coast of India.
- first Follow-on Water Jet Fast Attack Craft.
- Tarmugli is conceived, designed and built indigenously
New technology to generate electricity from seawater
- Osaka University Scientistshave used sunlight to powerfully convert seawater into hydrogen peroxide
- may be used in fuel cells to generate electricity.
- produces a high enough efficiency that can be used in a fuel cell.
- the negatively charged chlorine particles present in seawater is responsible for increasing the photo-catalytic activity and producing the higher concentration
Environment & Ecology
Cyclone Roanu hits Bangladesh
- Killed 23 people in floods and rain-triggered landslides.
- Earlier the country was hit by the cyclone Ailain 2009 which killed 300 people while in 2007 Cyclone Sidra claimed 4,000 lives.
- Road networks have been disrupted after strong winds uprooted treesblocking highways
- Shah Amanat International Airport, Chittagonghas suspended all of its flight operations.
Pankaj Advani wins Asian 6-Red Snooker title
- Pankaj Advanimade history by clinching the Asian 6-Red Snooker title in Abu Dhabi.
- first in the world to hold both world and continental titles at the same time
- he defeated top seeded MalaysianKeen Hoh Moh by 7-5
Denmark wins first Thomas Cup badminton tournament
- In the final match played at Kunshan, China, the Danish team defeated Indonesia 3-2.
- Denmark team has won the trophy after a 67-year jinx also makes first ever win in the
- Thomas Cup is hosted every three years, was the BWF’s first major international tournament.
- Known as Men’s World Team Championships is an international badminton competition. It was first conducted in 1948-49.
Sikkim CM Chamling honored with Nepal’s literary award
- For His contributionstowards promoting Nepali literature in India
- The award is given by the Nepal Prime Minister K P Sharma.
film I, Daniel Blake wins Palme d’Or at Cannes Film Festival
- British director Ken Loach has won his second Palme D’Orat the 69th Cannes film festival
- one of the nine directors to have won the top prize at Cannes twice
- Earlier Loach had won in 2006 with The Wind That Shakes the Barley.