artificial propagation programme of mahseer fish for conservation
- an artificial propagation programme for its rehabilitation and conservation.
- Himachal Pradesh has set aside Rs 6 croreat Machhial near Jogindernagar town in Mandi district to rear the mahseer.
- Himachal Pradesh fisheries department observed that the stength of the golden mahseer is lessening due to various causes, including construction of dams, barrages, pollution etc.
Govt constitutes IEPF Authority
- bid to strengthen the framework for safeguarding the interest of investors union
- move comes under the Companies Act, 2013that would be used for multiple purposes
- that includes to distribute disgorged amount depositors ambit that have suffered lossesdue to wrongful acts by other entities.
Gujarat CM launches ‘Smart Village’ program
- state government will select 300 villages for Smart Village program that will get 80 lakh to 2 crorerupees cash assistance to improve public facilities in the villages.
- will felicitate villages that have 100 percent completion of toilets.
6,000 Gujarat villages become open defecation free
- 6,000 villagesin the state becomes open defecation free under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
- state have built more than 50 lakh toilets acrossGujarat in the last two years.
- 30 talukas in the state now have 100 per cent toilet facility.
2016 Women Economic Forum (WEF) hosted by India
- Theme: “Women: Uplifting and Uniting the World”
- Sessions: 408 sessions on 28 themeslike business, technology, entrepreneurship, industry, health, travel, spirituality, peace, diplomacy, security, conflict resolution, personal leadership, innovation, research
G7 finance summit held in Japan
- To give fillip for balancing the growth of the global economy amid the slowing down of the Chinese economy and those of other emerging countries.
- First such meeting where macroeconomic challenges urged and seek ways to inspire growth and check instability in markets by pooling together macroeconomic agendas.
- Japan, the US, Germany, Britain, France, Italy and Canada are the G7 countries.
- G7 countries represent more than 64% of the netglobal wealth ($263 trillion).
Gaya-model lantern in Colombo
- The lantern is an additional attraction this year as it has been modelled on the “stupa” at the Mahabodhi temple in Gaya, Bihar.
- Mahabodhi temple, one of the oldest brick structures in eastern India, was declared a World Heritage Site by the UNESCO in June 2002.
- one of the four holy sites related to the life of Buddha.
Business and Economy
World Bank announced Pandemic Insurance plan to mobilize funds
- Pandemic Emergency Financing Facility will generate global and national responses to disease outbreaks that threaten large population after the 2014 Ebola Disaster in West Africa
- Aim is to organize fundsquickly against virulent disease outbreaks
- Combination of disaster insurance and bonds
HSBC to halve branches in India
- HSBC will halve the number of branch in India to 26 from the present 50 and keeping focus on retail banking over digital channels
- Branch Shut will lead to over 300 employees being affectedalso less than one per cent of its total workforce of over 33,000 people.
- Branches that are being closed service less than 10% ofits Indian customers
People in News
Anurag Thakur becomes youngest BCCI president
- Replacement in respect of President was chosen by Senior BCCI Vice president KC Khanna headed the Special General Meeting
- Previous President: Shashank Manohar
Former IPS officer Kiran Bedi appointed as Lt Governor of Puducherry
- country’s first woman to serve as IPS was put under the additional charge of Lt Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Island.
- Bedi is the first woman to join the Indian Police Service(IPS) in 1972.
- Bedi contested the 2015 Delhi Assembly election as the BJP’s Chief Ministerial candidate
Government promotes 4 general managers as directors at general insurers
- GIC Re and Hoda at United India Insurance, K K Rao at Oriental Insurance, P Venkatramaiah of National Insurance Company and Segar Sampath Kumar at New India Assurance have been promoted.
- Centre also created one more post of whole-time director at the country’s sole reinsurerGIC Re
Sudhakar Rao steps down as USL’s Independent Director
- former Chief Secretary of Karnataka, was appointed as an Additional Director of the USL in 2013.
World’s Oldest Olympic champion Sandor Tarics dies
- He was the team member of the Hungarian waterpolo team
- gave triumph to its side in the Berlin Olympics in 1936, pushing Germany into second place.
- earned recognition in the USA as a designer of earthquake-proof building technologies.
- gave attendance to the 2012 London Olympicsas the oldest living champion.
Science and Technology
New form of light discovered
- Researchers from Trinity College Dublin have discovered a new form of light that go against predicted qualities of light
- Earlier, findings says that the angular momentum could only be a multiple of a number called Planck’s constant
- New findings details a new form of light with an angular momentum of just half Planck’s constant.
Water staircases in seas proposed
- Possible mechanism by which the upper layers of the Arctic Ocean warm up, causing the ice to melt.
- Water staircases are step like variations of density of water due to step like changes in temperature and salinity.
India successfully launches reusable launch vehicle RLV-TD
- the Reusable Launch-Vehicle – Technology Demonstrator (RLV-TD) is the first time that ISRO launches an indigenous space craft with delta wings.
- test launch is considered a significant step in India’s space endeavor.
Mohun Bagan beats Aizawl FC 5-0
- a record 5-0 marginto regain the title after eight years, at the Indira Gandhi Stadium in Kolkata.
- Mizoram strikerJeje Lalpekhlua became the most prolific Indian striker, He scored eight goals, including a hat-trick in the contest
Ashwin retains No. 2 spot in Test bowlers ranking
|1||Stuart Broad||Steve Smith||R Ashwin|
|2||R. Ashwin||Joe Root||Shakib Al Hasan|
|3||James Anderson||Kane Williamson||Stuart Broad|
|4||Yasir Shah||Hashim Amla||Ben Stokes|
|5||Dayle Steyn||Younus Khan||Vernon Philander|