e-Nivaran scheme to deal with real tax grievance
- “e-Nivaran”Scheme to deal with Tax related issues of the public on test mode.
- Organised by: Central Board of Direct Taxes and Central Board of Excise and Customs
- Feature of the Scheme: Officials have created a websiteto examine tax reforms.
App for HRD Ministry’s SWAYAM platform
- All Indian Council for Technical Education(AICTE)signed agreement with Microsoft and chosen Microsoft as their Technical partner for Online Courses.
- The Online Course program is named as SWAYAM (Study Webs of Active-Learning for Young Aspiring Mind)
- About 2,000 Massive Open Online Courses to be started.
- Over 3 Crore Students and public will be nurtured under the Courses.
Duraiappah stadium in Jaffna renovated by India, inaugurated
- Prime Minister Narendra Modiand Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena, jointly inaugurated the newly renovatedDuraiappah Stadium in Jaffna
- Stadium was kept unused since 1997, has been renovated by the Indian government at a cost of over Rs 7 crore.
- Duraiappah Stadium, named in honour of a former Mayor of Jaffnalate Alfred Thambirajah Duraiappah.
India, South Korea launch ‘Korea Plus’ for FDI
- an initiative called Korea Plusto promote and facilitate Korean Investments in India.
- Korea Plus, which encompasses representatives from the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Energy, Korea and representative from Korea Trade Investment andPromotion Agency (KOTRA) and three representatives from Invest India.
Business and Economy
Initiative to make NRIs to join National Pension System through eNPS
- Finance Ministrylaunched the scheme that Non Resident Indians can open National Pension System Accounts online if they bear Aadhaar Card or PAN Card
- NPS accountcan be opened both on Repatriable and on Non-Repatriable basis
- Repatriable Basis:An NRI will have to remit the amount through his/her NRE/FCNR/NRO account
- Non-repatriable Basis:NRIs can join NPS through their NRE/FCNR/NRO accounts at the time of maturity or during partial withdrawal.
State Bank of India creates a dedicated Rs 200 crore fund for Fintech startups
- State Bank of India has created IT innovations and startup fundand have allotted Rs 200 crore for investment in promising startups.
- fund would be covering upto Rs 3 crorefor any India registered entity for their business promotion in India using information technology for banking.
Max Life, Max Fin Services to merge into HDFC Standard Life
- HDFC Standard Life and Max Life and Max Financial Servicesare entered into merger agreement that will create the largest private player in India’s insurance sector.
- proposed merger between the companies will create an entity with assets worth over Rs 1 lakh crore.
- combination of the entities would be overtaking ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Co.Ltd
- agreement facilitates for a commonly agreed exclusivity period for due diligence and discussions between the parties in relation to a proposed transaction.
Boeing, Tata to set up joint aerospace facility in Hyderabad
- will be set up under the government’s ‘Make in India’ initiativein Hyderabad.
- American player Boeing and Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL) jointly to set up a facility to co-produce Boeing AH-64 Apache helicopter fuselagesand other aero structures at the aerospace Special Economic Zone (SEZ) at Adibatla in Hyderabad.
- production facility will eventually be the only producer of AH-64 whichis the world’s most advanced multi-role combat helicopter and used by the US forces as well as many other countries, including India.
Science and Technology
Indigenous trainer aircraft HTT-40 makes inaugural flight
- Hindustan Turbo Trainer-40 (HTT–40)developed by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- Two-seater aircraft designed for training for all flying cadets of the three services, HTT-40 aircraft weighs about 2,800 kg and has Turbo Prop engine of950 shp class.
- HTT-40 program intends both IAF and HAL toensure development of the trainer.
CSL delivers Fast Patrol Vessel “ICGS” to Indian Coast Guard
- ship is the 18th vessel inthe series of twenty Fast Patrol Vessels under construction for the Indian Coast Guard
- vessel is responsible for safeguarding the Nation’s Coasts by patrolling within theExclusive Economic Zone and Coastal Patrol, carrying out anti-smuggling, antipiracy and search and rescue operations, and for fisheries protection and monitoring.
SpaceX successfully launches two commercial satellites into orbit, Falcon 9 rocket crashed
- Falcon 9 rocket that carried them into orbit then crashed into its drone ship while touching down in the Atlantic Ocean from Cape Canaveral’s Complex 40 launch pad.
- project intended to build a reusable rocket enginethat can deploy its cargo and return safely to Earth and also the rocket can be prepped for another launch in a short amount of time.
- reusable rockets could save the company $60 millionper launch.
People in News
First batch of three female fighter pilots commissioned in the Indian Air Force
- First batch of three female pilots:
- Avani Chaturvedi
- Bhawana Kanth
- Mohana Singh
- Three female fighters will be inducted to fly fighter Jets like the Sukhoi and Tejas after the completion of the Stage III training at Bidar in2017.
Major General Sanjeev Kumar Sharma new General Officer Commanding of Tiger division
- He succeeds Maj Gen Sanjeev Narain.
- Sanjeev is a distinguished officer has an illustrious career spanning over three decades
- an alumni of the Defence Services Staff College and has also appeared the prestigious higher defence management course and the national defence course.
Kerala Tourism bags four awards at ‘FilmAT’ International Film Festival
- film festival dedicated to tourism, art and ecology,in Poland.
- Three of the honors were given to a single campaign. ‘Responsible Tourism’initiative started by Kerala
- Best Promotional Social Campaign and in the Protection of Nature and Eco-Food, categories for, respectively, the New Worldsfilms Sowing the Seeds of the Future and A Taste of Life.
- fourth award for the tourism board’s ad film‘The Great Backwaters of Kerala’won the ‘Best Editing Award’ which showcased life in and around the legendary backwaters.
India settle for silver medal after Australia win penalty shoot-out
|· Gold medal||· Australia|
|· Silver medal||· India|
|· Bronze medal||· Germany|
- India finished with Silver Medalin the 36th edition of the Hockey Champions Trophyafter losing to Australia in the final.
- Apex body for hockey in India, announced a cash prize of Rs 2 lakheach for the players and Head Coach Roelant Oltmans and a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh for all other coaches and support staff
- The body announced additional prize of Rs 1 Lakh for Harmanpreet Singhas he was adjudged as the Best upcoming Junior Player of the Tournament.