first phase of SUANI project launched
- first phase of SAUNI – Saurashtra Narmada Avataran for Irrigation Project launched at Sanosara village near Dhroll in Gujarat’s Jamnagar district.
- nearly 10 dams and reservoirs of Rajkot, Jamnagar and Morbi, would be filled up with the water of Narmada River.
- Saurashtra-Narmada Avataran Irrigation Yojana (Sauni Yojana) has been launched to divert one MAFT excess over flowing flood water of Narmada allocated to Saurashtra Region
- excess over flowing flood water of Narmada will be distributed to 115 reservoirs of eleven districts of Saurashtra through total 1126 km long four link pipelines benefitting 10,22,589 acre land.
- Link: 1 From Machhu-II dam of Morbi district to Sani Dam of Jamanagar District
Link: 2 Limbdi Bhogavo-II Dam of Surendranagar District to Raidi Dam of Amreli District
Link: 3From Dholidhaja Dam of Surendranagar District to Venu-I Dam of Rajkot District
Link: 4 From Limbdi Bhogavo-II Dam of Surendranagar District to Hiran-II Irrigation scheme of Junagadh
Myanmar President Htin Kyaw made his state visit to India
- Myanmar President Htin Kyaw participated in bilateral talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modiin New Delhi.
- a host of issues, including border management and ways to contain militant activities along the Indo-Myanmar border were discussed.
- India and Myanmar signed four pacts in the field of infrastructure development and for the cooperation in renewable energy.
- Agreement I – Construction of 69 bridgeson the Tamu-Kalewa section of the trilateral highway connecting India, Myanmar and Thailand.
Agreement II – Upgrading the Kalewa-Yargi section of the trilateral highway.
Agreement III – Cooperation in the field of renewable energy,
Agreement IV – cooperation in the field of traditional medicines.
Mera Aspatal – My Hospital initiative launched
- This move seeks to empower the patients by seeking their views on quality of experience in a public healthcare facility.
- ICT-based Patient Satisfaction System (PSS) Mera Aspataal / My Hospital” for implementation in public and empanelled private hospitals, is envisaged to empower thepatient by seeking his / her views on quality of experience in a public healthcare facility.
- a multi-channel approach will be used to collect patients feedback i.e. web portal, mobile application, Short Message Service (SMS), Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS) and Mera Aspataal, together with the Kayakalp awards,as part of Swacchata Abhiyaan”
- operational framework on management of common cancers, Guidance Note for Out sourced Call Centre for tele-consultation, grievance addressal and providing informationabout schemes.
- Free Drugs Services Initiative, the Free Diagnostics Services Initiative, the District Hospital Strengthening support, roll out of comprehensive primary health care, Quality Assurance Program and the Kayakalp awards – all represent initiatives intended to reduce fragmentation of care, improve quality of care and reduce out of pocket expenses.
Haryana Assembly passes Sports Council Bill
- Haryana Vidhan Shabhahas unanimously passed the Haryana Sports Council Bill, 2016 to constitute statutory sports councils at state, district, block and municipal levels.
- Council upon would be constituted under the Haryana Sports and Physical Fitness Policy, 2015 will neither select sports personsnor send teams for competitions.
- Council is meant for promotion of sports, games, yoga, physical fitness, the ‘Sports for All concept and to augment athletic efficiency, adding that they would also be responsible for coaching, competitions and other sports-related activities.
- a sports injury center would be set up in Haryana.
- Sports Council would be headed by the Chief Minister and would have the Sports and Youth Affairs Minister as its Vice President and it will also have some other members in the body
Telangana & Mizoram ratifies GST Bill
- Telangana and Mizoram State Assemblyhas unanimously passed a resolution of Constitutional Amendment Bill on 30 August 2016.
- Telangana becoming 12th state to ratifythe legislation and Mizoram ratifies as the 13 th state to do so, The move will pave the way for roll-out of a single and unified tax system in the country.
- The Constitution 122nd Amendment GST-Bill, passed by the Parliament and it needs approval by simple majority to follow the roll out, So far 13 states ratified.
India and US signed LEMOA agreement for the revival of defense sector renovation
- United States andIndia signed LEMOA(Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement) governing the use of each other’s land, air and naval bases for repair and resupply.
- This is considered as a step toward building defense ties in order to counter the growing maritime assertiveness of China
- agreement facilitates the provision of logistical support, supplies, and services between the US and Indian militaries on a reimbursable basis, and provides a framework to govern them.
- Logistic Support, Supplies, and Services include food, water, billeting, transportation, petroleum, oils, lubricants, clothing, communication services,medical services, storage services, training services, spare parts and components, repair and maintenance services, calibration services, and port services.
Turkey launches Operation Euphrates Shield
- Turkey has launched a major military intervention in Syria as a part ofOperation Euphrates, sending tanks and warplanes across the border in a coordinated campaign with Syrian opposition fighters
- Turkish military announced it had killed 25 Kurdish militants of the PYD in northern Syriaduring airstrikes, as part of its Operation Euphrates Shield.
- The military campaign, going on for at least five days, has targeted Islamic State (Isis) fighters as well as Kurdish militias.
- Turkey has been preparing for the Jarabulus operationfor days. Last weekend, an Islamic State-linked suicide bomber attacked a Kurdish wedding in the southern Turkish city of Gaziantep, killing 54 – many of them children.
- This move was a message: a reminder of Ankara’s determinationto limit US cooperation with the Kurds, Washington’s most effective partner against the Islamic State in Syria.
- Syrian-Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) is a key US ally in the fightagainst the Islamic State, often acting as the effective ground force for the US-led coalition’s operations in Syria.
Business and Economy
PFS ties up with banks for clean energy project loans
- Indian non-banking financial institution PTC India Financial Services(PFS) has tied up with banks to provide loans to companies working on renewable energy (RE) Generation.
- these banks set to letter of credit (LC) based on the issue letter of comfort (LOC) issued by PFS, to project companies in the renewable space with diligence on certain parameters.
- Banks will issue credit upon the request made by the companies involved in Clean Energy projects on various associated costs for issuance of letter of credit, which generally takes 3-5 months.
- Following this agreement LC can be opened in a much shorter time on a case-to-case basisand project companies shall not be required to individually track with each bank.
Canara Bank launches UPI app ’empower’
- Canara Bankhas launched Unified Payment Interface [UPI] App named ‘empower’, at its board of directors’ meet held at Bengaluru.
- move is in line with the digital initiative which enables any Bank customers to link and operate their various Bank accounts using a single app. This app is available for download from Google play store.
- app simplifies customers to create a virtual payment address to Pay and Collect Money.
- This App makes transactions safe that anyone able to use the service without disclosing their account related information, link their bank accounts across banks in a single app, transfer funds using mobile number, account number and IFSC and Adhaar number, know their account balance.
China unveiled a state-owned aircraft engine maker
- China has set up a state-owned aircraft engine maker with registered capital of 50 billion yuan($7.5 billion).
- It is considered as the next step in the latest effort to develop home-grown, high-tech businesses to compete in international markets.
- This is part of Beijing’s push to ramp up home turf tech.
- The government’s overhaul of state-owned enterprises to push Chinese products and services up the value chain has prioritized aircraft engines, high-speed rail and nuclear power as areas in which it wants China to excel.
- State-owned AVIC will finalize a 129 billion yuan merger of its aircraft engine businesses in a moveto create a giant that could eventually compete with the likes of United Technologies Corp’s aircraft engine maker Pratt & Whitney.
- China already makes its own planes, but has struggled for decades to develop engines that meet global requirements.
- Chinese government, as well as the Aviation Industry Corp of China (AVIC) and Commercial Aircraft Corp of China (Comac) are investors in the new firm.
- VIC makes military jets and helicopters while Comac producesChina’s biggest domestically-produced passenger plane, the C919.
Padma Sachdev gets Saraswati Samman for year 2015
- Jammu-based Novelist Padma Sachdevwas awarded the prestigious Saraswati Samman 2015 for her autobiography ‘Chitt-Chete’ written in Dogri language.
- autobiography Chitt-Chete published in 2007, was shortlisted from 22 workswritten in as many languages published between 2005 and 2014.
- Padma Sachdev is a Jammu based first modern woman poet of Dogri language. She has penned 60 books and published her several poetry collection including Meri Kavita Mere Geet that has won the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1971.
- She has been honored with Padma Shri, the Indian fourth highest civilian award in 2001.
People in News
Ashok Kumar Pradhan took charge as the Chief General Manager of State Bank of Travancore
- Pradhan is fromCuttackin Orissa, started his Banking career in 1985 as aProbationary Officer in State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur.
- Prior to this, he served in various key assignments as Controller and Zonal Headand has functioned Zonal Head and also Deputy General Manager (Credit) at State Bank of Hyderabad.
- State Bank of Travancore(SBT), is a subsidiary of the State Bank Group, but also has private share-holders. It is the premier bank of Kerala, where it handles the majority of its business.
CRPF appoints PV Sindhu as its Brand Ambassador and Commandant
- The country’s largest paramilitary force CRPF has decided to appointOlympic silver medalist PV Sindhu as its brand ambassador and bestow the honorary rank of Commandant on the ace badminton player
- Commandant rank in the CRPF is equivalent to the position of a Superintendent of Police (SP) and such an officer commands a battalion of about 1,000 personnel, when posted in field operations
- Sindhu would be asked to hold motivational sessions with troopswhen she is not playing or practicing and her messages would be sent to all the personnel deployed across the country.
- Central Reserve Police Force also has the credit of raising thefirst all-women battalion in a central paramilitary or a police force way back in 1987 and at present has four such contingents, with three in active duties.
Digicel Appoints Usain Bolt as Chief Speed Officer
- Jamica based Digicel Caribbean Ltd named the world’s fastest man, Usain Bolt, as its Chief Speed Officer (CSO)
- Digicel CSO will interact with customers in a number of ways from both a commercial and community point of view in the years to come.
- Digicel has been sponsoring the speedster Usain Bolt since 2004
Shri R. Ravindra – Ambassador of India to Republic of Liberia
- Shri R. Ravindra Indian Foreign Service – 1999 batch, presently Ambassador of India to the Republic of Cote d’Ivoire, has been concurrently accredited as theAmbassador of India to Republic of Liberia, with residence in Abidjan (Cote d’Ivoire).
- Liberia, officially the Republic of Liberia, is a country on the West African coast. Liberia means “Land of the Free” in Latin.
Gene Wilder, the star of comedy classics passed away
- Gene Wilder, the star of comedy classicssuch as The Producers and Blazing Saddles, has died at the age 83
- Jerome Silberman(June 11, 1933 – August 29, 2016), known professionally as Gene Wilder, was an American comic actor in film and theater, screenwriter, film director, and author
- Wilder began his career on stage, and made his screen debut in an episode of the TV series The Play of the Week in 1961. Although his first film role was portraying a hostagein the 1967 motion picture Bonnie and Clyde
- Wilder’s first major role was as Leopold Bloom in the 1968 film The Producers for which he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.
- Wilder directed and wrote several of his own films, including The Woman in Red (1984).
- After his last contribution to acting in 2003 – a guest role on Will & Grace for which he received an Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actor – Wilder turned his attention to writing.
- He produced a memoir in 2005, Kiss Me Like a Stranger: My Search for Love and Art; a collection of stories, What Is This Thing Called Love? (2010);and the novels My French Whore (2007), The Woman Who Wouldn’t (2008) and Something to Remember You By (2013).
Science and Technology
India’s first military heritage website launched
- India’s first military heritage website, org was launched by Glory Foundation at Chennai
- The Foundation will conduct various awareness programs across the country, commencing with major metros, to educate the people about our military history and heritage.
- The programs will be in the nature of exhibitions, seminars and talks, film shows, sound-and-like shows and the like.
- Foundation is also planning battle re-enactments or military tattoos, which used to take place in Madras (Chennai) before Independence.The British, for instance, arranged a military tattoo of the Siege of Madras in 1946.
Wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt confirms upgrade to silver for London Olympics
- Indian Olympic medallist and wrestler Yogeshwarbronze medal, which he clinched the podium by finishing third against Russia’s Besik Kudukhov’s,
- Silver Medalist Besik Kudukhov’s is a four time world champion who has been tested positive.
- According to the norms of International Olympic Committee (IOC) the samples stored for up to 10 years for re-testing to allow the use of advanced testing methods to weed out dope cheats, conducted by the.
- freestyle wrestler Dutt will join the likes of wrestler Sushil Kumar and shooter Vijay Kumar as silver-medalists for India.
Bhutan set to host Asian Tennis Tour event next month
- Bhutanis set to become the fourth Asian country to host a tournament on the Asian Tennis Tour (ATT).
- Earlier India, Thailand and Iran hosted a series of tournaments, both men and women titles on ATT and ATT Bhutan is set to be hosted from September 16 to 18