| [Download not found] |
Draft ‘Trafficking of Persons (Prevention, Protection and Rehabilitation) Bill, 2016’ released
- Objective: To create a strong legal, economic and social environment against trafficking of persons and related matters.
- Highlights of the Initiatives:Khoya-Paya web portal, Pasting of posters in railway coaches, Expansion of Children helpline – 1098
India tops global slavery index
- highest number of people in the world ensnared in slavery with 35 millionaccording to the Global Slavery Index report
- Causes:Forced labour, Prostitution and Beggings.
- Released by:Australia-based Human rights group Walk Free Foundation.
India in 41st slot on competitiveness ranking
- ranked at 41st positionon the IMD World Competitiveness Scoreboard, 2016.
- Hong Kongtakes the place of US by the World’s most competitive economy
- Top places of Countries:Switzerland, Singapore, Sweden, Denmark, Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway and Canada.
Govt adds four new vaccines to immunisation drive
- Union health ministry to revamp its flagship immunisation programme Mission Indradhanush
- four new vaccines forrotavirus, measles rubella, inactivated polio vaccinebiavalent and Japanese Encephalitis for adults.
Retirement age of doctors of Central Health Services raised to 65 years
- Cabinet will soon approve a Bill to increase the superannuation age of all central government doctors from 60 to 65 years.
- Purpose:To retain the experienced doctors for a longer period & provide quality health services to citizens, particularly the poor.
- there are about4,000 doctors under the Central Health Service.
Delhi Government Launches ‘DVAT M SEWA’ Mobile App
- ‘DVAT M SEWA’ mobile app is launched in order to boost the tax collection.
- app will ensure VAT registrationwithin 24 hrs of filing request.
- city traders can register themselves with the VAT department of the state government.
- VAT inspector’s visit at traders’ business premises will not be required instead traders will have to upload a picture of their business premises in the app only.
Indian Railways, PEC sign MoU to set up Kalpana Chawla Chair on geospatial technology
- would develop in-house solutions to problems that are otherwise often outsourced to western countries.
- railways to provide a corpus of Rs 10 crore to the University for the Chair.
Business and Economy
Indian Economy May See 7.8% Growth In FY17
- Indian economy is expected a growth of 7.8 per centin the current fiscal year due to improvement in agriculture and private consumption.
- Credit Suisse expected that growth to improve to8% in current fiscal from 7.5%
Mahindra inks brand licence agreement with Pininfarina
- Mahindra & Mahindra has signed a brand licence agreementwith Italian car designer Pininfarina for using trademarks
- Deal to acquire 76.06per cent stake in the company.
- Vehicle major had announced to acquire Turin-based Pininfarinafor an overall outgo of over 50 million Euros after months of negotiations last year.
A.R Rahman conferred with Japan’s Fukuoka prize 2016
- for his outstanding contribution towards creating, preserving and showcasing South Asian traditional fusion music.
- usician has been invited to the Fukuoka to give a public lecture on From the Heart: The World of A.R Rahman’s Music.
- Prize is an award established by Fukuoka, Japan and the Yokatopia Foundation, to honour the outstanding work of individuals or organisations in preserving or creating Asian culture.
Pope Francis Awards Medals to Richard Gere, George Clooney, Salma Hayek
- award is to promote the work of a foundation inspired by the pontiff, Scholas Occurrentes
- actors had agreed to be ambassadors for one of the foundation’s arts projects for the foundation named schools that meetin Spanish, links technology with the arts, aiming at social integration and a cultural of peace.
Virat Kohli named T20 Player of the year, Ashwin best bowler at Ceat Award event
|The Award winners:|
|International Cricketer of the Year||Joe Root|
|International Batsman of the Year||Joe Root|
|International Bowler of the Year||R Ashwin|
|Test Cricketer of the Year||Kane Williamson|
|ODI Cricketer of the Year||Martin Guptill|
|T20 Player of the Year||Virat Kohli|
|Indian Cricketer of the Year||Rohit Sharma|
|Domestic Cricketer of the Year||Shreyas Iyer|
|Young Player of the Year||Rishabh Pant|
|Special Award||Ajinkya Rahane.|
|Lifetime Achievement Award||Dilip Vengsarkar.|
People in News
Former Delhi Police commissioner B S Bassi appointed UPSC member
- It is a Constitutional post, with a five year tenure.
- Union Public Service Commission has a maximum strength of 10 members besidesa chairperson
- with this appointment the Commission is in its full strength.
- Bassi is a 1977 batchIPS officer Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram and Union Territories (AGMUT) cadre
- has served the police force for almost 40 years.
Admiral Sunil Lanba takes charge as 21st Navy chief
- current CNS AdmiralK.Dhowan retired after four decade of service.
- Lanba will have a full three-year-term in office till May 31, 2019
- he is a qualified specialist in navigation and direction course.
- He was commissioned in 1978 into the Executive Branch of Indian Navy
Noted Kannada writer D Javare Gowda passes away
- he suffered from heart failure at Mysuru. He was 101.
- Gowda served as the Vice-Chancellor of Mysore University from 1969 to 1975.
- He was also awarded with the Pampa Prishathi in 1998and the Guru Award in 2003.
- Karnataka government had honoured him with the Karnataka Ratna and the Nadoja title in recognition of his contributionto literature.
BJP leader and former MP Rudra Madhab Ray passes away
- Rudra Madhab Raypassed away after prolonged illness in Bhubaneswar. He was 79.
- Ray was a member of the Indian Parliament, and represented Kandhamal Lok Sabha Constituency for BJD ticket in 2009.
Alastair Cook Becomes Youngest Cricketer To Score 10000 Test Runs
- England Test captain Alastair Cook, became the first English batsman to score 10,000 runsin test matches
- First English batsman and the 12th player fromany country to reach the landmark and he also became the youngest at 31 years and 158 days to achieve the feat.
- Sachin Tendulkar was 31 years and 326 days old when he reached the landmark in 2005.
Gurpreet Singh Sandhu becomes first Indian to play in top flight European League game
- Indian national team goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhuis the first Indian to feature in a top-tier league match in Europe, by turning out for Norwegian side Stabaek
- He had already represented India at the U-19 and U-23 levels in the last few years has displaced Subrata Paul as India’s number one.
- made his debut for the Indian national team against Turkmenistan in 2013.
Science and Technology
Snapdeal opens data sciences centre in California
- Snapdealhas established a data sciences centre in San Carlos, California to get top global talent and build high-value solutions.
- Data Sciences Center will focus on big-data and advanced-analytics to define consumer-centric growth strategy
- centre has experienced data expertsfrom leading global brands like Groupon, Google, Yahoo and Amazon