India, US hold first Maritime Security Dialogue
- to promote the partnership in theMaritime Field
- India and US made the successful first round of discussion under the Maritime Security Dialogue
- Discover the scope of maritime cooperation under the framework of this maritime dialogue at the bilateral and multilateral level to be brought up
Section 144 imposed in Chandigarh
- Protesters will not be allowed to enter into the city.
- Protest by the AAP party is against the alleged Rs 12,000-crore missingfood grain scam in Punjab, rampant corruption and failure of the Punjab government to curb the drugs racket.
Military tourism initiative ‘Veer Yatra’ launched
- An initiative by the Military body that aims to spice up a vacation with on-locale narratives of real-life dare-devilry and heroism.
- Provides a peek into the lives of the country’s defence forces, also focusing on areas of historic importance.
- Targets to provide employment to 1,000 ex-servicemenand war widows over the next year.
National Conference on ‘Gaushalas’ Inaugurated
- According to Agriculture Ministry thereare 19 crore livestock in the country, which is about 14% of the world’s livestock and out of this, 15 crore are indigenous livestock.
- Ministry is mulling for draft of a policy is being prepared, which will include a provision to provide protein-rich fodder free of cost to the people living in villages adjoining the jungles.
Green Passage Scheme for orphan students
- Odisha government has coined a special scheme named Green Passagefor orphan students.
- Scheme eases the onus on the orphan students due to pressure of fees as admission fees, examination fees and tuition fees for pursuing higher education.
- Will also be provided free hostel facilities and food.
India suffers from huge gender pay gap, says report
- There exists a gender pay gap of 27% in India
- men earned a median gross hourly salary of Rs 288.68, whereas women earned only a median gross salary of Rs 207.85 per hour.
- Monster Salary Index is aimed at empowering jobseekers by establishing a benchmark to compare their salaries with other anonymous profiles across a broad spectrum of industry domains, experience, functional groups both in India and other global markets.
No profiteering at the cost of farmer
- Supreme Court has declared land a “scarce natural resource” and forbidden the government from using its powers of compulsory land acquisition to strip poor farmers of their livelihood
- Land, acquired in the name of residential or commercial projects, should revert to its rightful owner — the farmer — in case the project does not take off.
panel to review FRBM Act
- constitution of a panel under Former Revenue Secretary and Rajya Sabha MP N.K. Singh to review the Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management (FRBM) Act of 2003.
- Committee will review the working of the Act in the context of the uncertainty and volatility of global economy and suggest changes
- Committee will examine whether a broad fiscal deficit range should be adopted in place of specific target.
- Committee will also provide an assessment of the impact of its recommendations on the government deficit and FRBM parameters.
Italian Parliament approves same-sex civil unions
- Italian senate has passed legislation legalizing same-sex civil unions, with 372 voting in favour, 51 against and 99 abstaining.
- more than 20 countrieshave legalised gay marriage.
- law also makes this right available to unmarried heterosexual couples.
- With this, it has become the last country in Western Europe to do so
Business and Economy
RBI authorises 29 agency banks to accept payments of I-T dues
|1.||Allahabad Bank||16.||Syndicate Bank|
|2.||Andhra Bank||17.||UCO Bank|
|3.||Bank of Baroda||18.||Union Bank of India|
|4.||Bank of India||19.||United Bank of India|
|5.||Bank of Maharashtra||20.||Vijaya Bank|
|6.||Canara Bank||21.||State Bank of India|
|7.||Central Bank of India||22.||State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur|
|8.||Corporation Bank||23.||State Bank of Hyderabad|
|9.||Dena Bank||24.||State Bank of Travancore|
|10.||IDBI Bank||25.||State Bank of Mysore|
|11.||Indian Bank||26.||State Bank of Patiala|
|12.||Indian Overseas Bank||27.||HDFC Bank Ltd.|
|13.||Oriental Bank of Commerce||28.||Axis Bank Ltd.|
|14.||Punjab & Sindh Bank||29.||ICICI Bank Ltd.|
|15.||Punjab National Bank|
IDFC Bank launches #IDFC Twitter Resume campaign on Twitter
- will help in applying for a new job as simple as sending out a tweet.
- Soft launch intends to post job vacancies that there are about 12-14 profileson offer at junior to mid-levels, largely across sales, service and operations.
- bank intends to make around 500-700 closuresthrough this medium even as it looks to nearly double its current workforce to 4500-odd by the end of this fiscal.
DBS Bank to set up new technology hub in Hyderabad
- The company also plans to hire about 1,500 peopleover the next two years.
- tech hub comes at a time when the lender is awaiting clearance from the RBI India to convert into a wholly-owned subsidiary in the country.
Tata Trusts inks pact with the/Nudge Foundation
- to help alleviate poverty through product innovation and capacity buildin
- Tata Trusts will help in much needed product innovation in the poverty alleviation efforts, and support capacity building of the team to scale the results.
- This comes after the success of the recently concluded pilot iniative of both sides called ‘Mphasis Gurukul’ in Bangalore.
Pfizer to buy Anacor Pharma in $5.2 bn deal
- global Pharmaceutical Corporation Pfizer Incwill buy California based Anacor Pharmaceuticals in a deal valued at $5.2 billion
- To increase access to Anacor’s experimental gel for treating eczema.
- Acquisition will facilitate the American major to access a non-steroidal topical gel, crisaborole,
- presently under review by the US Food and Drug Administrationfor the treatment of mild to moderate eczema.
SBI begins merger with associate banks
- merger move comes after the government announced a road map for bank consolidation during the budget.
- five associate banks are State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur, State Bank of Hyderabad, State Bank of Mysore, State Bank of Patiala and State Bank of Travancore.
- merger is expected to be completed by the end of the current financial year.
People in News
Manzil Saini becomes first woman SSP of Lucknow
- Saini will fill the shoes of Rajesh Pandeywho has been attached to the DGP office.
- was earlier posted in Badayun, Muzaffarnagar and Mathura
- she launched a crackdown against unauthorized usage of party flags by Samajwadi Party workers in four-wheelers and also penalizing them for bearing tinted windows during her tenure as an SSP in Etawah.
Science and Technology
NASA launches near-space monitoring balloon
- NASA has successfully launched a 532,000 cubic metres sized super pressure balloon from New Zealand’s South Island Wanaka Airport to conduct near-space scientific investigations
- The aim is for it remain airborne for more than 100 days.
- the fifth attempt to get the massive balloon airborne made success.
IT dept launches e-portal to fast track taxpayer’s grievances
- System is called ‘e-nivaran’ means electronic solution which integrates all online and physical complaints gathered by the department
- an exclusive also separate window for grievance redressal has been launched in the Income Tax Business Application electronic platform for the regular operations.
- to clear taxpayers grievances and ensure early resolution of their complaints in fast track route.
- South Korean Novelist Han Kanghas been awarded the Man Booker International Prizefor his Novel “The Vegetarian”
- deals with a woman’s rejection of Human Brutality and giving up of eating meat.
National Medal of Science awarded by US president Barrack Obama
|1||Behavioral and social science||Albert Bandura|
|2||Biological Sciences||Stanley Falkow, Rakesh K. Jain, Mary-Claire King, Simon Levin|
|3||Chemistry||A. Paul Alivisatos, Geraldine Richmond|
|4||Mathematical, Statistical, and Computer Sciences||Michael Artin|
|5||Physical Sciences||Shirley Ann Jackson|
Indian-American Teen Syamantak Payra Wins Intel Young Scientist Award
- for developing a low-cost electronically-aided knee bracethat enables a person with a weakened leg to walk.
- ward was given by Intel Corporation and the Society for Science and the Public (SSP) at the 2016 ‘Intel International Science and Engineering Fair’ in Arizona
- 15-year-old teen Payrais from Texas has begged USD 50,000
JK Rowling receives highest French civilian honor
- It is officially named National Order of the Legion of Honor is the highest French order for military and civil merits.
- She was given honorary title by the President of France Nicolas Sarkozyat a ceremony in Paris.
Indian women’s archery Team qualified for the Rio Olympics
|Women’s Team||Deepika Kumari|
- The Indian body AAI also announced a three-member men’s team consisting Jayanta Talukdar, Atanu Das, Mangal Singh Champia for the third stage World Cup in Antalya, Turkey in June.
- India has earned one individual spot for the Olympics in men’s archery during the World Championships last year.