- to monitor the timely clearance of the letter boxesthrough a mobile application.
- An Initiative to make use of Department of Space in different sectors
- India ranks at third positionafter the United States and China in the category of Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index
- Ranked on the basis of Size and Scale of renewable activity
3 Medical Colleges In Jammu And Kashmir
- Three medical colleges, to be set up at a cost of around Rs 189 crore each, in Jammu and Kashmir.
- built at Rajouriin Jammu,Anantnag in south Kashmir and Baramulla in the north.
- Each medical college is to have intake capacity of 100 for MBBS course.
EC issues showcause notices to Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi
- Election Commissionissued show cause notices over violation of Model Code of Conduct Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, J Jayalalithaa and DMK Chief, M Karunanidhi.
- the manifestos of the two parties have not substantially fulfilled the guidelines of the Commission.
2nd phase of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana in Gujarat
- second phase of Pradhan mantri Ujjwala Yojana at Dahod district of Gujarat.
- free LPG connectionwill be given to BPL families in tribal district of Dahod.
- ambitious Rs 8,000 crore initiativewill be funded using the money saved from 1.13 crore cooking gas users voluntarily giving up their subsidies through PM’s Give It Up initiative.
Global Film Industry stakeholders at Cannes Film Festival
- intent of the meeting was to impart them about the new initiatives taken by India in the films sector and the myriad opportunities available for the global film industry in India.
- discussed about the participation of United Kingdom in the International Film Festival of India held every year in
Kalinganagar National Investment and Manufacturing Zone approved
- Kalinganagar National Investment and Manufacturing Zone projectas part of Ease of Doing Business in Jajpur district.
- will be a mega industrial zone sprawling of 163 square kilometerhaving a world-class township to cater to the needs of the investors.
- project is likely to attract 1 lakh crore rupees investment and generate 1 lakh 50 thousand direct jobs.
- Odisha government also committed to providing 24×7 power, dedicated industrial feeder and quality physical infrastructure and common facilities for the project.
high level meet on drought, water scarcity
- mass movement to be generated for water conservation and rainwater harvesting.
- 911.64 crore givento the State under the National Disaster Response Fund.
- released Rs 273 crore as central shareof State Disaster Response Fund for 2015-16.
India, Bangladesh power ties with 21st-century nuclear deal
- 21st century nuclear agreementwith Bangladesh to engage the bilateral neighbourhood relationship between two nations.
- Four Indian based companies— BHEL, Reliance, Shapoorji-Pallonji and Adani — have bid to set up power plants in Bangladesh
UN agricultural arm IFAD to grant $150 million to India in next 3 years
- will provide grants worth $150 million to Indiain the next three years to aid the farm sector.
- IFAD’s projects in rural areas have been able to improve the material conditions of the households and health of women.
- provided$17.7 billion in grants and low-interest loans to projects reaching about9 crore people in rural areas to reduce poverty in India in the last 3 decades.
Indian short film ‘Beti’ at Seattle International Film Festival
- four minutedocumentary film ‘Beti’ which is a non-fiction on girl child education has been invited for a special screening at the 42nd Seattle International Film Festival
- short film promotes girl child by narrating the real life story of three girls from a government school and their dream for the future
- only film from India to be featured amongst 421 films representing 85 countries
US and IAF conclude Exercise Red Flag’ in Alaska
- successfully concluded their four-week Red Flag aerial combat exercises at Alaskain the U.S.
- Joint trial is to showcase the IAF’s capability in undertaking integrated air ops but also to absorb operational lessons from the exercise engagements.
Business and Economy
- Declaration of domestic black money will start on June 1and those opting to come clean by paying 45 per cent tax and penalty, will not be subjected to scrutiny and enquiry by tax department.
- Aim:To fish out black money from the domestic economy.
People in News
Claire Furlong is new ICC General Manager: Strategic Communications
- Claire Furlongas new General Manager to steer its strategic communications
- Furlong is presently working at Hannover Sport Companyas a head of sport with clients including England and Wales Cricket Board, NFL and Asian Football Confederation.
Justice Mukul Mudgal appointed as deputy chairman of FIFA governance committee
- Ex-Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana
- FIFA’s governance committee which will be headed by Portuguese Luis Miguel Maduro who is a former European Court of Justice Advocate General.
ASI core committee chairman G C Mitra resigns from his post
- Mitra is put on preservation work of Jagamohan, the chamber facing the sanctum sanctorum of Sri Jagannath Temple in Puri Odisha.
Science and Technology
India test fires home-grown Advanced Air Defence interceptor missile
- missile successfully test fired from the launch complex of Abdul Kalam Island in Odisha.
- This was 12th test of the interceptor missile.
- first phase of the missile seeks to destroy incoming enemy missiles in exo-atmospheric region and the second phase predicts to kill enemy missiles of more than 2,000 km rangein inside the atmospheric region.
1,284 planets discovered beyond solar system
- NASA’s Kepler mission has helped its scientists to discover a total of 1,284 more planets beyond our solar system.
- discovery brings to 21 the total number of known planets with such conditions, which could pave the way for life
- found nine planets suitable for surface water.
- In the NASA’s new planets, just about 550 could be rocky like Earth. Nine planets are the right distance from a star to support temperatures at which water could pool.
US mission in India wins annual greening diplomacy award
- American mission in Indiahas won the prominent Greening Diplomacy Initiative Award of the US State Department for its innovative approach to greening throughout the country.
- The Consulate General in Kolkata reduced water use by 45 per cent through waste water recycling.