Scheme for wind power projects
- Union Government initiated grid-connected wind energy projects targeted at producing1,000 MW clean power
- Scheme is organized by The Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI).
- Features of the Scheme:Progression among project sizes, effective e-bidding, e-auctioning processes
Union Cabinet approved civil aviation policy
- India should stand the third largest position among civil aviation market by 2022.
- Aim:Improving India’s 9th position to 3rd largest civil aviation market by the year 2022.
Ministry of Railways Signed JV Agreement with Government of Odisha
- for improving Railway Infrastructure in the State
Rs 2,070-crore highway project in Punjab
- Rs 2,070-crorehighways project in Punjab under its hybrid annuity mode to for faster movement of traffic between Chandigarh and Ludhiana.
- project of 76km highway stretchis conversion of two lanes into Six/ four laning of Kharar to Ludhiana section of NH 95 (New NH 5) has been approved by the Cabinet.
- project is planned to be completed in 30 months, out of the total, 54 km will be widened to six lane and the 22 km will broadened to four lanes.
Andhra Pradesh to start Internet-based phone service
- AP is the first State to have obtained a telecom license and it can issue phone numbers starting with the 797 series later this year.
- internet based telephone service comes without requiring any further registration’ after it obtained permission from the Telecom Ministry for starting its own IPTV (Internet Protocol based Television network) as part of its Fibre Grid project.
- project aims at providing affordable net connectivity in every corner of the State, the government can offer free telephone serviceswithin the region by internet.
Business and Economy
Florida bank issues first US credit card for use in Cuba
- Stonegate Bank isset to issue the first credit card that can be used in Cuba since Washington and Havana normalized relations.
- card will be a limited-edition MasterCard. Stonegate will issue only 1,000 cards initially
- Cuban government will waive the usual 10 percent penalty on dollar exchanges for those using the Stonegate cards.
- card will allow U.S. travellers to make purchasesat state-run businesses and a handful of private ones, mostly high-end private restaurants equipped with point-of-sale devices.
Cabinet approves SBI takeover of units
- biggest Indian lender wants to take over five units that had been running at arms-length,
- merged entity will create a banking giant, which can compete with the largest in the world with an asset base of almost Rs 37 lakh crores- thatis nearly one-fifth of India’s GDP.
- Bank’s board had approved the takeover of State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur, State Bank of Hyderabad, State Bank of Mysore and State Bank of Travancore, as well as Bharatiya Mahila Bank.
Pranab Mukherjee receives Highest Civilian Award of Ivory Coast
- President Pranab Mukherjeewas conferred with the highest civilian award of Ivory Coast, the National Grand Crois
- Mukherjee held one-to-one dialogue with his counterpart during his visit
- He is the first Indian President to visit the nation.
- It is highest state order of knighthoodof the Ivory Coast to celebrate the independence from France in 1960.
Australian rodent named the 1st mammal to go extinct due to human-caused climate change
- Tiny rodent fromAustralia has become the first known mammal to go extinct due to human-caused climate change.
- also the first recorded extinction of a mammal anywhere in the world.
- rodent also known as mosaic-tailed rat, was only known to live on Bramble Cay a small coral cay, just 340m long and 150m wide off the northcoast of Queensland.
- rodent was known to have existed only on Bramble Cay between the Cape York Peninsula in the Australian that sits at most 3m above sea level.
People in News
Suresh Chandra appointed as new Law Secretary
- He is currently Additional Secretary in the department. G Narayana Raju, Legislative Secretary
- He was appointed by the approval of an appointments Committee chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- first time in recenttimes that the government decided to look outside the legal fraternity for a candidate for the top post. There were 45 Applicants for the top job.
Peter Thomson elected as President of 71st session of United Nations General Assembly
- United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) elected Peter Thomson, a permanent Representative of tiny Pacific Island nation Fiji, as President of its upcoming 71st session.
- Peter Thomson won 94 votes, with one abstention and compared to Mavroyiannis’ 90 votes.
- he is the first representative from the Fiji to get elected for the largely honorific post in the UN’s 71-year history.
Renowned Hindi writer Mudrarakshas passes away
- Renowned Hindi novelistand critique Mudrarakshas passed away after a prolonged illness in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. He was 82.
- Lucknow hailed Mudrarakshas’ original name was Subhash Chandra,who penned novels and other forms of Hindi prose besides producing literature for children with his pen name.
- He graduated from Lucknow University and later worked as as Assistant Editorof Hindi Journal Gyanodaya, that was published from Calcutta from 1955 to 1958.
- He edited Hindi journal Anuvartaand was also associated with All India Radio.
India complete 3-0 sweep over Zimbabwe ODI Series
- Skipper MS Dhonibecame the first Indian captain to lead the team in three ODI series whitewashes.
- skipper and stumper became thefirst Indian wicket keeper-batsman to complete350 dismissals in 50-overs cricket. He has taken 261 catches and effected 89 stumpings.
- also became the 2nd most successful ODI skipperwith 107 wins. He is joint second with Allan Border, and behind Ricky Ponting (165).
Indian men 4x400m relay team breaks 18-year-old national record
- Indian men’s 4x400m relay teamcreated a new national record, clocking 3:02.17 time
- record bound quartet, comprising of Asian Games Bronze medalist Arokiya Rajiv, Mohd. Anas, A Darun and Mohd Kunhu.
- last record of 3:02.62 set at the 1998 Asian Games in Bangkok.
- Indian women’s 4x400m relay team clocked 3:30.16 and jumped to world No 12 in the rankings. While their counterpart is currently placed No.17.