| [Download not found] |
Railways launched the Optional Catering Scheme and Janani Sewa on test mode
- Janani Sewa for mothers
Optional Catering in Rajdhani and Shatabdi Trains on test mode
Children’s menu on trains
First Meeting of National Committee on Ramayana Circuit & Krishna Circuit
- Ramayana Circuit:11 Destinations
Krishna Circuit: 12 Destinations.
- Ministry of Tourismhold the “1st Meeting of National Committee on Ramayan Circuit & Krishna Circuit” under Swadesh Darshan Scheme
Government Sanctions Rs. 164 Crore for Rajasthan, 156 Crore for Telangana
- This is for Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority (CAMPA) with the two States.
- money has been sanctioned for afforestation, relocation and other biodiversity worksin these states.
- The CAMPA corpus currently stands around Rs 42,000 crore of this only 10 per cent of the funds can be released this year.
Rise of Environmental Crime Report released by UNEP and INTERPOL
- The World’s Fourth largestcommitted crime is the Environmental crime
- Environmental crime extended largely upto 26%from the previous record in 2014
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) joined hands with INTERPOL spreading awareness about the Environmental Crimes.
- most endangered species including Rhinos and elephants were killed at growth rate of 25% over the last 10 years and about 3000elephants were killed in Tanzania every year.
UN Assembly elects Israel as committee chair for first time
- Israel will head one of the world body’s six permanent committees, since joining the N. in 1949
- this is first time that country is Chairing the committee.
- Israel a chance to have a higher profile in routine affairs at the United Nations.
- Israel received 109-yes votes. Nobody voted against Israel but there were 23 abstentions, 14 invalid ballots, and 43 votes for other countries in the Western European
- Sweden was runner-up with 10 votes.
People in News
RBS India chief Brijesh Mehra to head corporate banking at RBL
- Small sized private lender RBL Bank(formerly known as The Ratnakar Bank Limited) announced that the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) India chief Brijesh Mehra will be joining the company as head of corporate banking.
- Appointment comes from the lender after the UK based Royal Bank of Scotlandannounced it will close down its retail operations in the country.
Bharti Airtel names Shashi Arora as new CEO
- Airtel Payments Bank has named Shashi Aroraas chief executive and managing director of the company,
- Sunil Bharti Mittal group’s Bank informed that Arora has over 26 years of experience across sectors including FMCG, Telecom, Media and Banking.
- Arora started his career at Bharti Airtel in 2006 and was hired as the chief executive of Bharti Telemedia Ltd, a subsidiary of Bharti Airtel that provides DTH services.
Gopal Rai Resigns As Delhi Transport Minister
- Aam Aadmi Party leader Gopal Raiwas relieved of the charge of the Transport Department,
- AP government has cited health reasons for his decision
- Satyendra Jain is likely to take charge as Transport Minister for now.
- Satyendra Jain currently holds key portfolios includes PWD, Health, Power and Home.
Justice Rakesh Ranjan Prasad takes charge of Chief Justice of Manipur HC
- He succeeded Justice Laxmi Kanta Mohapatrawho has relinquished the charge of office.
- President Pranab Mukherjee had transferred Justice Rakesh Ranjan Prasad from Jharkhand High Court to Manipur High Court.
DBS Bank appoints Niraj Mittal as institutional banking head
- DBS Bank’s Indian Armhas appointed Niraj Mittal as the Managing Director and Head of Institutional Banking for the country.
- will be responsible for increasing business with institutional banking clients by driving both new client acquisition and deepening existing relationships.
Deutsche Bank Asia chief executive Gunit Chadha quits
- The appointment dated back in October 2015 as CEO for the Asia Pacific, in charge of 16 regions in the region.
- This is the second high profile departurefrom the bank, later it had declared €6.8 billion loss for the year ended December 2015.
- Gunit Chadha had joined Deutsche Bank in 2003as the CEO for the global lender’s India operations. In 2012, he was promoted to co-CEO for its Asia Pacific business.
Business and Economy
‘Scheme for Sustainable Structuring of Stressed Assets’
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has come up with the Scheme for Sustainable Structuring of Stressed Assets
- To further strengthen the lenders’ ability to deal with stressed assets and to put real assets back on track.
- Resolution of large stressed accounts and valid for those projects that have started commercial operations and have outstanding loan cap of over 500 crore rupees.
- banks will have to divide the outstanding debt of a company into Sustainable that makes the share which can be serviced by the company
Shortlist of candidates for Reserve Bank of India governor post
- Union government had formed a selection committee headed by cabinet secretary P.K. Sinha for shortlisting candidates for RBI governorship.
- Reserve Bank of India governor post is up to financial sector regulatory appointment search committee(FSRASC).
- the panel includes Additional Principal Secretary to the PM, PK Mishra, who is a permanent government nominee, and three other experts – Rajiv Kumar of Centre for Policy Research, Manoj Panda of the Institute of Economic Growth and Bimal N Patel from Gujarat National Law University.
SBI and Mastercard Partners with Centrum
- To launch a distribution alliance with travel prepaid cards distributor Centrum.
- Tie-up will help in distribution strength of the Bank for its multicurrency prepaidcard and will largely target the corporate customers of the bank.
- SBI MasterCard Foreign Travel Card offers frequent travelers a safe and convenient way of carrying multiple currencies in a single card.
BHEL commissions 195 MW unit at Muzaffarpur plant
- This is the second unit of 195 MW to be commissioned by BHEL atthe 2×195 MW Muzaffarpur Thermal Power Station Stage-II of Kanti Bijlee Utpadan Nigam Limited
- The first 195 MW unit was commissioned in March last year.
Science and Technology
NASA Hubble telescope spots mysterious solitary dwarf galaxy “UGC 4879”
- thistype of galaxy does not have the distinct regular shape of elliptical and spiral galaxies.
- galaxy is about 2.3 million light years away from its closest neighbour, Leo A which is about the same distance as that between our Milky Way Galaxy.