Aadhaar bill 2016 passed
- Aadhaar card to be mandatory to avail the subsidies and schemes of the Government
- Aims to ensure targeted services to intended beneficiaries through Aadhaar card
370 crore mobilized for Swachh Bharat Khosh
- It is a fund created to support the various cleanliness programs across the nation
IMF and India to establish SAARTAC
- To further strengthen the economic operations of the Nation
- Regional cooperation center will be established in Delhi
India to supply Locomotives to Myanmar
- 18 Meter Gauge 1350 HP Diesel Electric Locomotives will be supplied to Myanmar Railways.
Haryana to join UDAY scheme
- Scheme for restructuring debt of power distribution companies (discoms) in the state.
- Seven states have already joined the UDAY (Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana) scheme
NITI Aayog launches Women Transforming India Campaign
- Seeks for entries in the form of written essays/stories.
- Should reflect new ground broken by women in empowering themselves/others, or of challenging stereotypes.
Kakrapar nuclear plant shut down
- There was heavy water leakage at the plant.
- A small leak in the Primary Heat Transport (PHT) System.
- No harmful, radioactive leakage and the backup safety mechanisms were active
Mumbai and Bangalore among cheapest cities to live
- London was sixth and New York seventh
- Survey was done by a top London forecast group (EIU)
Serbia declares state of emergency over floods
- Heavy rains are causing extensive flooding and might force thousands to leave their homes
- More than 50 people died in the deluge and about 700 homes were flooded across the country
- 170 people needing to be moved for their safety forcing thousands to leave their homes.
- 2 billion euros worth of damage
India, US launch Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship
- Initiative will advance bilateral cooperation on climate change
- Will enable Indian research scholars to work with American institutions in the field.
Business and Economy
Employees to get incentive for 1 year from EPFO
- Incentive for the employees who register between January and December 2016.
- Employees can claim 5 to 10% of administrative charges for 1 year
Yes Bank signs pact with Indo-Brazil chamber for strategic co-op
- Yes Bank is India’s fifth largest private sector Bank
- Core sectors covered under this MoU are
- Media and entertainment with
- Special focus on IT,
- Broadcast driven business opportunities
- MoU emphasizes strategic grouping of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS).
- Yes Bank and IBCC will jointly effort to explore exchange of best practices in sports goods manufacturing, CSR in sports, SM&E talent management.
PSUs Spent Over Rs 2400 Crore in CSR in 2014-15
- Rs 2447.59 crore was spent on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) activities in 2014-15.
- A meeting would be called to monitor spending of these funds.
Uber opens Asia’s first engineering hub in India
- Tech Hub to have software engineers, product developers and others working initially on problems specific to users in India,
- Will expand to improving Uber’s customer support worldwide.
BSNL Jumps into Video-On-Demand Service
- Have announced partnership with DTH Major Tata Sky to kick-start their operations.
- Tata Sky, which has a user base of about 11 million, will approach potential subscribers across the country.
- Will offer its VoD service free for the first month to download content worth up to Rs 500.
Science and Technology
Plastic Decaying Bacteria Discovered
- Japan researchers have discovered a new species of bacteria that is capable of breaking down plastic
Railway launches online ‘clean my coach’ service
- You can ask for your coach or toilet to be cleaned by putting a request on the app.
- A total of 18,709 requests have already been served since the service was launched.
Google’s next operating system is ‘Android N’
- Upgraded OS “Android N” for now, offers a split-screen feature so users can toggle between apps more easily.
- Enables users to reply directly to notifications
- New edition initially being recommended only for mobile app makers
- Will only work on a few smartphones and tablets.
People in News
Ajit Singh & Satish Mittal sworn-in as Guwahati & Rajasthan HC CJ respectively
- Justice Satish Kumar Mittal was sworn in as Chief Justice of the Rajasthan High Court.
- Justice Ajit Singh was sworn in as Chief Justice of the Guwahati High Court.
Lt Gen N P S Hira appointed as Deputy Chief of Army Staff
- Has been the commander of Sikh Light Infantry
- Has wide experience in counter insurgency operations in J&K
- Has commanded Assam battalion during high violence period
- He has experience in North eastern states
- He commanded 10 Infantry Division in Jammu and Kashmir on the Line of Control with distinction for which he was awarded the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal.
Keyboardist Keith Emerson dies
- Emerson’s first commercial success with the Nice in the late 1960s
- Founding member of Emerson, Lake and Palmer one of the early super groups, in 1970.
- Considered as one of the top keyboard players of the progressive rock era.
Tezpur and JNU won Visitors Award for 2016
- Tezpur University won the annual Visitor’s Award for the Best University.
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) has won the Visitor’s Awards for Research and Innovation.
- Professor Rakesh Bhatnagar of JNU Won Visitors Award for Innovation for development of a vaccine and a therapeutic antibody against anthrax
Kerala Tourism campaign wins Golden City Gate Award
- It won the award at the travel trade show ITB in Berlin.