new Print Media Advertisement policy
- Focus:Transparency and Equity
- Objective:To Promote transparency and accountability in issuing of advertisements in Print Media
PM Modi 5 Nations visit – Overview
- India-US inked 8 MoUs to bolster economic growth & sustainable development
- PM Narendra Modi addresses US Congress
- India’s membership of NSG dominates meet between PM Narendra Modi and US President Barack Obama
- domestic processes to ratify Paris climate deal
- Indo-US commitment to join Paris agreement
- India, Mexico to elevate ties to strategic partnership
Business and Economy
logo, tagline design contest for payments bank
- Open Contest invites participation from all Indian citizens, institutions, agencies and entities for a period of one month, until 9th July 2016.
- best entry will be awarded Rs 50,000/.
- expert panel will help shortlist 20 best entrieswhich will thereafter be put up for voting on the MyGov platform to choose the winner.
- Union cabinet cleared a proposal of Rs. 800 crore to set up India Post Payments and a plan for 650 branches operational by September 2017.
People in News
Emaar MGF MD Shravan Gupta steps down
- Emaar MGF’sExecutive Vice Chairman & Managing Director Shravan Gupta has resigned from the post
- This happens after Emaar MGF’sExecutive Vice Chairman & Managing Director Shravan Gupta has resigned from the post
- realty major Emaar would take control of the company’s uncompleted projects to ensure completion of those projects.
- Shravan Gupta will continue to act as director of the company,
- Sanjay Malhotrais the new acting CEO of the company.
Madhya Pradesh BJP MLA Rajendra dadu dies in car accident
- BJP MLA Rajendra Dadu passedaway in a road accident in Madhya Pradesh’s Sehore district
- He represented from Nepanagar assemblyconstituency in Burhanpur district for a second time.
Canadian ice hockey legend Gordie Howe dies at 88
- Canadian hockey star Gordie Howe has passed away after a prolonged illness
- Howe is considered one of thegreatest ice hockey playersof all time.
- He retired in 1971and was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto in 1972
- Howe maintained in the top 10 of scorers for 21 successive yearsand was named Most Valuable Player six times.
- He was the inaugural recipient of the NHL Lifetime AchievementAward in 2008.
Veteran journalist Inder Malhotra passes away
- He was known as one of the doyens of political journalismwho witnessed India from Jawaharlal Nehru to Narendra Modi.
- Malhotra began his career in journalism at United Press of Indiaafter graduating from Punjab University.
- worked with the Statesman, the Times of India and the Guardianand as Indian Express columnist.
- was also a Nehru Fellow and a Woodrow Wilson Fellow.
- was awarded the Ramnath Goenka Lifetime Achievement awardin 2013.
- has penned several books which includes Indira Gandhi: A Personal & Political Biography (1989) and Dynasties of India and Beyond (2003).
Karnataka Bank former chairman MS Krishna Bhat passes away
- He became the Chief General Manager of the bank in 1994.
- Krishna Bhat took over as the Chairman in 1995,for a period of two years. This was extended for another three years up to 2000.
- the paid-capital and owned funds of the Bank increased gone up significantly also registered a growth rate much higher than the industry growth rateand Computerization of the operations began.
Science and Technology
Iceland scientists turn CO2 into Stone under CarbFix Project
- This method couldbe a viable way to store CO2 underground permanently and without risk of leakage.
- This technique requires large amounts of water 25 tons for each tonof CO2 buried
- CO2 is pumpedinto the volcanic rock and sped up a natural process where the basalts react with the gas to form carbonate minerals (limestone).
- Carbon Capture and Storage(CCS) is thought to be essential to halt global warming.
Paralympic Committee of India gets recognition
- Paralympic Games is a major international multi-sport event, involving athletes with a range of physical These games are organized in parallel with the Olympic Games,
- Union Minister of State for Planning and Defence, Rao Inderjit Singh, along with vice president Gursharan Singhhad paid a visit to the IPC Headquarters in Bonn last month to make sure the approval of the PCI election