| [Download not found] |
India’s first smart grid to come up in Gurgaon
- country’s first smart grid project to be set up at Gurgaon in Haryana under UDAY.
- State has been a performing state under the debt restructuring program for state-owned power distribution companies.
- maiden phase of the smart grid project centre would extend a grant of Rs 273 crore to the Haryana.
- assistance to Haryana would be given from the Power System Development Fund (PSDF) for Rs 7,000-crore project, the first phase of which would cost Rs 1,382 crore.
- project would ensure 24 x 7 quality power supply to the city which depends on diesel gensets due to irregular power cuts.
Bihar signs MoU with Bangkok firm for disaster risk reduction
- MoU with Bangkok-based Asian Disaster Preparedness Centre (ADPC) to implement the Roadmap for Disaster Risk Reduction in Bihar (2015-30).
- move will help reduce disaster risk management in the state.
- ADPC centre will deliver technical assistance to implement the Roadmap for Disaster Risk Reduction in Bihar (2015-30).
- One of the targets of the roadmap is bring down the loss of human lives in natural disasters by 75 percent within 2030 in comparison to the current data.
Panel to consider MSP hike, bonus for pulse production
- high-level committee headed by Chief Economic Adviser Arvind Subramanian to consider a reasonable increasein minimum support price (MSP) for pulses and bonus for farmers
- It will look into various options, including MSP and bonus.
- increase the buffer stocks to 20 lakh tonnes from the existing 8 lakh tonnes.
- government will import 1 lakhtonne of arhar and tur dal annually from Mozambique.
PM Narendra Modi on a four nation tour of Africa
- historicFive day visit to the Four African Capital Countries in order to fortify the bilateral relationship with the developing African Countries.
|· Country||· Capital||· President|
|· Mozambique||· Maputo||· Filipe Nyusi|
|· South Africa||· Pretoria, Cape town||· Jacob Zuma|
|· Tanzania||· Dodoma||· John Magufuli|
|· Kenya||· Nairobi||· Uhuru Kenyatta|
- An MoU for long term agreement for purchase ofpulses from Mozambique,
- MoU on drug demand reduction and prevention of illicit trafficking of drugs
- MoU in the field of youth affairs and sports
- India handed over 30 Mahindra SUVsto the Mozambique government, completing the delivery of $4.5 million grant assistance as part of supporting institutions in the African country.
- South Africa
- Modi addressed more than 11,000 members of the Indian community in Johannesburg
- MoU on grassroot innovation in selected areas,
- MoU in including agricultural technology
- MoU for indigenous knowledge systems
- five MoU’s in order to fortify the bilateral relationships.
- Modi also offered $500 million of concessional credit for water supply connections to 17 cities in addition to an existing $100 million to Tanzania.
- India, Kenya sign 7 pacts including cooperation in defence
- MoU between Bureau of Indian standards and Bureau of Kenya standards
- India has extended two Lines of Credit to Kenya
Business and Economy
HDFC to become first issuer of Masala Bonds to overseas investors
- It is the first Indian public issuerof the Synthetic INR Notes.
- plans to raise Rs 3,000 crore through these synthetic bonds.
- These bonds will bear a fixed coupon and will have a incumbency period of 3 years and 1 month.
- The company has named Axis Bank, Credit Suisse and Nomuraas joint venture runners and lead managers to the event.
‘Paperless SIP’ introduced by BSE for mutual fund investors
- ‘Paperless SIP’ (systematic investment plans) which allows mutual fund investors to make transactions through various modes of payments
- investment plans also allows MF distributors to register SIPs for their clients, who can pay SIP amounts through different modes.
- once the SIP has been registered, the investors would receive an e-mail for all the payment modes, including direct pay, nodal account, one time mandate and cheque.
- Capital market regulator SEBI had allowed mutual fund distributors to use the stock exchange platform for non-demat transactions
- scheme is available only for non-demat transactions and for instalment of amount more than Rs 2 lakh.
Myntra acquires Bangalore-based start-up Cubeit
- Myntra Designs Pvt. Ltd has acquired Bangalore-based Cubeit to gain access to its employees also to expand Myntra’s technology
- Myntra, which was acquired by Flipkart for about $330 million in 2014, has bought two technology start-ups previously.
- Myntra acquired Bangalore-based app development companyNative5 lastyear
- company also acquired San Francisco-based start-up Fitiquette.
People in News
K V R Murthy new chairman-cum-MD at Jute Corp of India
- The appointment is valid for a period of five years or till the date of his superannuation, whichever is earlier.
- Prior to this appointment Murthy was earlier associated with Eastern Railways in the capacity of Chief Commercial Manager.
Tathagata Roy sworn-in as acting Governor of Arunachal Pradesh
- He has been given the additional charge of Governor of Arunachal Pradeshduring the leave of absence of incumbent Governor Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa.
- Chief Justice of Gauhati High CourtAjit Singh had overseen the oath of office to Tathagata Roy as per the provisions of Article 159 of Constitution of India
UP creates world record by planting over 5crore trees
- Forest department of Uttar Pradeshhas set a world record for orchestrating the largest state-wide plantation drive in 24 hours mission to plant 5 crore saplings.
- the state claimed it had achieved the target and planted 5.01 crore saplings across the state.
- UP’s official entry into theGuinness Book of World Records, however, will only be announced once the record keeping team verifies the claims,
- Biggest plantation exercise carried out globally.
51st Jnanpith Award on Dr. Raghuveer Chaudhari
- Without posthumous conferrals, this award is given to only Indians, who have been writing in Indian Languages and in English.
- the 51st Jnanpith Awardto the famous writer, Raghuveer Chaudhari from Gujarat
- He started his career by writing novels and by now he wrote more than 80 renowned books and he has also been awarded with Shakitya Academy Award.
- He reiterated that it is not possible on the part of one agency to ensure the full-fledged development of art, literature and development of creativity.
- award comprises a citation plaque and a cash prize of 11 lakhand a bronze replica of the Hindu goddess of knowledge and wisdom, The Saraswati.
Science and Technology
New electronic tattoo can read emotions
- a new adhesive Electronic Tattoothat can read emotions and also can improve muscle control of amputees and patients with brain injuries.
- tattoo consists nanotechnology-based conductive polymer coating that increases the carbon electrode’s performance.
- It archives a strong, steady signal for hours on end without irritating the skin.
- may develop the therapeutic restoration of injured nerves and tissue.
Rio 2016: Sreejesh to lead men’s hockey team
- Hockey Indianamed senior goalkeeper PR Sreejesh as the captain of the national team for the Rio Olympics
- Sreejesh, one of the finest keepers in world hockey at the moment,was rewarded after the team, under his leadership, ended up with a silver medal at the Champions Trophy in London.
- Playmaker SV Sunil, who is also a key player in the side, has been named vice-captain. He was Sreejesh’s deputy in the Champions Trophy.