Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) in Meghalaya
- This will be addressing the concern over the high Maternal Mortality Rate in the state of Meghalaya.
- Governor in his speech called upon all stake holders including the government, social and religious organizations, youth bodies and the general public to come together to ensure safe and secure delivery of children.
- Governor also impressed upon the pregnant women in attendance at the program to visit hospitals and other health care institutions like PHCs, CHCs etc during the early stages of pregnancy in order to avoid complications during and after delivery.
- inaugural program was followed by a daylong Free Medical Camp for Pre-Natal and Post-Natal care which was availed by hundreds of women and children.
- PMSMA Scheme is a new initiative of the central government aimed at boosting the health care facilities for pregnant women especially the poor
- scheme provides that pregnant women would be given health check-up and required treatment for free on the 9th of every month in all government hospitals and health centers across India.
Auto Ingress sets up first assembly unit in Tamil Nadu
- Auto Ingress, Manufacturing Company of automatic sensor doors has set up its first assembly unitat Chennai .
- unit will assemble sliding, swing, revolving, telescopic, hermetic doors and gate accessories serving both residential and commercial segments
- will produce automatic sensor doors priced between Rs 50,000 and Rs 3 lakh per unit.
- the company expects to increase its revenue by 40 per cent as sales in India contribute 50 percent to its total pie. The company has set a sales target of 3,500 units over the next two years.
- factory will have an initial capacity of producing 4,000 units a year operating in a single shift
- The company plans to convert the factory into an automatic operator manufacturing plant in coming years.
JK’s first Seed Processing Unit to come up in Kathua
- In order to produce and procure high quality seeds for cultivation and generate employment in the state
- It will not only help the farmers here but even in neighboring states like Himachal Pradesh, will be able to procure high quality seed for cultivation
- this Unit will also generate employment avenues for the youth.
Nirmala Sitharaman led business delegation to Russia
- Indiais the partner country for ‘INNOPROM 2016’, one of the largest annual international industrial trade fairs of Russia.
- Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will led a delegation which comprises of over 110 Indian companies
- The 4-day fair started from July 10 in
- Russia is the first countryto have agreed to invest under the ‘Make in India’ umbrella in two key strategic sectors – nuclear and defence.
- Apart from the 110 Indian companies, some states are also participating in the event. The states are:
♦ Himachal Pradesh
♦ Andhra Pradesh
- India and Russia have set a goal of boosting bilateral trade to 30 billion dollars and mutual investment to 15 billion dollars by
US introduces bill to prevent Indian firms from hiring on H-1B, L1 visas
- The bill, if passed, will have huge effect on Indian firms.
- bill if passed would prevent Indian companies from hiring IT professionals on H-1B and L1 visas that will prohibit firms from hiring H-1B employees on certain grounds.
- The ‘H-1B and L-1 Visa Reform Act of 2016’introduced by Democratic Congressman Bill Pascrell from New Jersey and Republican Dana Rohrabacher from California.
- bill likely to close loopholes in the H-1B and L-1 visa programs, reduce fraud and abuse, provide protections for American workers and visa holders.
NATO Summit 2016 concluded in Warsaw
- deployment of 1,000 more US troops to Poland to bolster NATO’s eastern flank
- “most important moment” for the alliance since the end of the cold war.
- NATO’s Summit in Warsaw concluded on Saturday (9 July 2016), following two days of decisions to strengthen the Alliance’s deterrence and defence, and plans to project stability in the wider neighborhood.
- The Declaration sets out areas where NATO and the EU will step up cooperation – including maritime security and countering hybrid threats.
People in News
Ramesh Negi appointed as acting Chief Secretary of Delhi
- Delhi government appointed Ramesh Negias the acting Chief Secretary in the absence of K. Sharma, who will remain on leave till July 25.
- Negi, who is Principal Secretary in Urban Development Department and is retiring this month end, has been given the charge.
- Negi has been specified the charge after getting the clearance of Lieutenant Governor Najeeb.
Sanjay Gupta appointed Konkan Railway CMD
- Sanjay Gupta has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of Konkan Railway Corporation Limited (KRCL)
- He is the youngest ever CMD of KRCL.
- Gupta had been officiating as the CMD since November 24, 2015, after the retirement of B P Tayal.
- He was from the Indian Railway Services of Mechanical Engineering(IRSME)
- Prior to his new appointment he was Director (operations and commercial) of Konkan Railway
- He also worked as chief mechanical engineer of Konkan Railway.
Business and Economy
Telecom ministry clears Airtel – Aircel 4G spectrum trading deal
- Airtel has entered into an agreement with Aircel to acquire rights to use 4G spectrum of Aircel in eight telecom circles for Rs.3,500 crore.
- These eight circlesinclude Tamil Nadu, including Chennai, Bihar, Jammu and Kashmir, West Bengal, Assam, the North-East, Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
- In a circle, no player can hold more than 25% of the total spectrum allocated in that particular service area.
- For a telecom operating company, spectrum is the main asset.
Science and Technology
DRDO signs Accord with IITs
- Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO)on Saturday signed an agreement with IIT-Bombay and Madras to establish a bi—nodal ‘Centre of Propulsion Technology’ (CoPT) at the two institutions
- agreement is aimed at achieving synergy between DRDO and IITs for channelizing research efforts towards developing products and aerospace technologies.
- Will also undertake advanced collaborative research in the areas of critical defense technologies.
- CoPT will evolve mechanisms to facilitate execution of programs related to propulsion technology and will engage the primary Research Nodes (IIT Bombay and IIT Madras).
Spanish train Talgo train clocks 120 kmph during Mathura-Palwal trial
- Spanish made train Talgo commenced its second phase trial from Mathura at a speed of 120kmph
- train fitted with nine coachescovered 84 km distance in about 53 minutes.
- The trial between Mathura and Palwal will go on for 25 days and the speed will go up to 180 kmph this
- Talgo coaches are lightweight and designed in a way that it can run on curves without decelerating the speed.
- Talgo’s lighter trains consume 30 per cent less energy.
China Navy Conducts Combat Drill in the South China Sea
- Chinese navy conducted combat drills near its southern island province of Hainan and the Paracel islands in the South China Seaon July 9
- drills come ahead of a July 12 ruling by the Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration on a case brought by the Philippines disputing several of China‘s territory claims in the South China Sea.
- China claims nearly all the South China Sea, but its claims overlap in part with those of Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam.
- Ships from China’s northern, eastern and southern fleets participated in July 8 drills, which focused on air control, surface operations and anti-submarine warfare, among other training exercises.
Serena Williams equals Steffi Graf’s record of 22 Grand Slams
- Serena Williams won a historic 22nd Grand Slamtitle in the Wimbledon held at London
- It was William’s seventh Wimbledon title.
Women’s hockey captain Ritu Rani dropped from Olympics Squad
- Indian women’s hockey team captain Ritu Rani has been dropped from the Rio Olympics squad owing to lack of performance and attitude problems.
- It is believed that in her absence, the leadership role could fall on another senior player Rani Rampal.
- final squad of 16 is to be picked in three days’ time.
- the Haryana hailed skipper the Indian women’s team qualified for the Olympics for the first time in 36 years since 1980.
Sandeep Tomar Wins Silver, Narsingh Yadav Bags Bronze in Spanish GP
- Sandeep Tomar and Narsingh Yadav has bagged the silver and bronze medals in 74kg and 57kg respectively at the Spanish Grand Prix Wrestling championship
- In the 74kg category, Livan Lopez of Cuba and Zelimkhan Khadjiev of France won the gold and silver medal respectively.
- in the 57kg category, Erdenebat BekhbayarofMongolia won the gold and Darthe Capellan of Canada and Levan Metreveli of Spain won the bronze medals.