| [Download not found] |
Union Government to introduce International Yoga Award Scheme
- to promote yoga
- AYUSH ministry is working on the scheme and it will start giving the award from 2017.
New Indian reserve battalion named after Maharana Pratap
- Government to set up 17 new reserve battalionsfor Jammu and Kashmir and Left Wing Extremism affected areas.
Google, Tata Trusts launch `Internet Sathi’ in West Bengal
- Google India and Tata Trustsjointly launched Internet Saathi program in West Bengal to focus on training women and larger communities in the state
- Initiative is part of Google’s Helping Women Get Online campaignto create awareness about the benefits of Internet among women in rural parts of India.
- the initiative will initially be rolled out to cover over 400 villages in Purulia district with an objective to reach 1 lakh women
21st of every month as Yoga Day in Maharashtra
- Maharashtra government has decided to celebrate the 21st day of every month as Yoga Dayacross all schools, colleges and universities in the State.
- Also a dedicated state-level committee will monitor and coordinate with these committees.
India ranked 141 in Global Peace Index
- India ranked 141stposition out of 163 countries. India jumped from 143rd during last year to 141st position
- The slight rise due to worst performance of other countries
- Iceland – 1st
Denmark – 2nd
Austria – 3rd
World Bank Report cuts global growth forecast to 2.4%
- World Bankhas decreased its forecast for the global growth to 2.4% for the year 2016
- World economy is challenging opposing forward motion.
Thailand becomes first Asian country to eliminate mother to child HIV
- Thailand hasbecome the first Asian country to eliminate mother-to-child HIV transmission to ensure an AIDS-free generation.
- report also says Belarus and Armenia werealso stated free of mother-to-baby HIV transmissions
- Both countries have a much lower dominance of the virus.
- Cuba was the only other countryand the first country to eliminate this epidemic under the WHO’s criteria in 2015.
India becomes third largest oil consumer
- Indiahas exceeded Japan to become the world’s third-largest oil consumer, with its oil demand galloping 1 % in 2015.
- India with demand of 4.1 million barrels a day becomes the third-largest consumer behind the U.S. (19.39 million bpd) and China (11.96 million bpd).
- India accounted for 4.5 per cent of world oil consumption in 2015.
Vladimir Putin awarded UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon with Order of Friendship
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moonhas been honoured with Russia’s Order of Friendship by Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin
- Purpose:To award foreign nationals whose work, deeds and efforts were aimed at the betterment of relations with the Russian Federation and its people.
People in News
Rama Mohana Rao named TN Chief Secretary
- Would also hold full additional charge of Vigilance Comissionerand Commissioner for Administrative Reforms.
- Rao was a 1985 batch of IAS and hails from Andhra Pradesh
- he has held key positions in many departments – Health, Water Resources, Transport, Social Welfare and other stints.
Swedish general appointed to head UN India-Pakistan military observers
- High-ranking Swedish military official will be the new head of the United Nations mission tasked with monitoring the ceasefire line between India and Pakistan in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Major General Per Gustaf Lodin as appointed by United Nations
- He succeeds Major General Delali Johnson Sakyi of Ghana, who completes his two-year assignment as chief military observer and head of mission for the UNMOGIP on July 2.
MTNL CMD Narendra Kumar Yadav steps down
- MTNL Chairman and Managing Director Narendra Kumar Yadav has resigned on completion of his tenure.
- Telecom major has operations in Delhi and Mumbaicircles and in the island nation of Mauritius in Africa.
Former Kerala Assembly Speaker T S John passed away
- John was founder member of Kerala Congress, he represented Kallooppara constituency in the State Assemblyfour times.
- He served as the Speakerfor one year period during 1976-77.
- He was the Civil Supplies minister in A K Antony cabinet in 1978.
Maria Sharapova receives two-year suspension
- Russian tennis star Maria Sharapovawas banned for two years by the International Tennis Federation.
- ban comes after the Russian tested positive at the Australian Open 2016for using the banned substance meldonium.
- Meldoniumwas put on the banned list by the World Anti-Doping Agency this year.
- She had been taking the drug for a decade legally for health reasons she said.
Eden to host first day-night Test in India
- Eden Gardenswill host to the first ever day-night Test in the country when India take on New Zealand later this year
- venues for the Test matches are Indore, Kanpur and Kolkata.