Setu Bharatam Project launched
- Will ensure highways without railway crossings.
- Has a budget of 50,800 crore
- Target year for completion is 2019.
India’s first solar ferry in Kerala
- Alphuzha backwaters will get India’s first solar ferry
- Boat is built by NavAlt.
- Project estimated to cost 7 crore
- Boat will be 20m long, 7m wide and max cruising speed of 7.5 knots
Raisna dialogue begins in New Delhi
- Three day flagship program of geopolitics and geo-economics
- Joint initiative by ministry of external affairs and observer research foundation
Aadhar bill introduced
- Will provide support to Aadhar for use for transferring government subsidiaries and benefits to Indians.
Panel for regularization of casual laborers
- Will look into extent of problems pertaining to casual laborers and financial, legal and administrative issues.
Japan pledges 5700 crore loan for highways in North east India
- Japan International Cooperation Agency will pledge the loan.
- Two lane with paved shoulder and geometric improvements of NH54 in Mizoram and NH51 in Meghalaya
- Interest rate for loan on construction works and procurement of materials is 1.4% per annum and 01% for consulting
- Reimbursement of amount to be made in 20 years after payout period of 10 years.
- Engineering Procurement and Construction mode has been adopted
World’s costliest train station in New York
- Cost of station is $3.85 billion.
- Connects New York to New Jersey
Sanctions on North Korea over Nuclear Test
- UNSC has imposed the sanctions after the recent nuclear test and missile launch by North Korea.
- The sanctions are
- Reduction or ban of exports of iron and iron ore, titanium, coal, gold, titanium and rare earth minerals and prohibit imports.
- Cargos to and from North Korea must be inspected by all the countries at the airport and sea ports.
Japan to supply defence equipment to Philippines
- It is the first such pact by Japan in South Asian region.
- Will set framework for supply of defence equipment and technology
- Japan has similar pact with US and Australia.
Sunil Sabharwal Occupies Key IMF Position
- He is an Indian-American independent investor
- He will take charge of International Monetary Fund’s Alternate Executive Director.
- It is one of the most powerful positions in the organization.
Business and Economy
MOU between Indian Army and Indusind Bank
- First MOU was signed in 2011 and valid for 3 years.
- MOU has been revised to suit requirement of soldiers and provides them modern banking facilities.
- There will be additional features free, concessional services include free drafts, cheque books and free fund transfer to any bank, free ATM cards.
Reliance Brands Ltd sign pact with Kate Spade and Co
- Long term licensing and distribution deal to bring Kate Spade fashion to India
- Few stores would be opened by Reliance initially
- Will market apparel and accessories under two brands Kate Spade New York and Jack Spade in India
- Kate Spade is an American fashion design house founded in
Murgank Paranjape appointed as MCX MD
- It is an independent Multi Commodity Exchange company founded in 2003.
- Praveen Kumar Singhal has been redesignated as president and Full Time director with effect from April 1st
- Paranjape is currently head of Deutsche Bank.
Pincon Spirit acquires Singapore based orbital solutions
- The deal size has not been revealed.
- Orbital Solutions becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Pincon Spirits
- Pincon has signed MOU with two brands Udan and Bengal Tiger.
Third round of Gold Bond Scheme announced
- Government has raised Rs 1045 crore through earlier two rounds.
- Bonds will be sold through banks, stock Holding Corporation of India limited and designated post offices.
- Bond tenure will be eight years with exit option from 5th year onwards
- Bond will be tradable in bourses and can be used as collateral for loans.
Special Cell setup to gather data on subsidies of other nations
- Will compile information on subsidies given by other countries to their industry.
- Anti-subsidy duties on subsidized imports of items such as steel will be imposed
- USA and other countries have taken trade measures to protect their domestic industries from unfairly low-priced imports.
Science and Technology
ZIka Virus kills cells that form key brain tissue
- Zika virus infects neuronal cells derived from human induced pluripotent stem cells.
- This is the first lab evidence of the potency of the Zika virus.
People in News
Former Lok Sabha speaker PA Sangama dies
- HE was a nine time member of Lok Sabha
- He was speaker from 1996 to 1998
- He contested from Meghalaya’s Tura constituency.
- He held various positions between 1974 and 2008 from Independent and National Congress party.
Coronation Street Creator Tony Warren Dies
- He has died at the age of 79
- Coronation Street has been aired for 56 years.
Manoj Kumar to be awarded Dada Sahen Phalke Award
- It is the highest award in cinema.
- Manoj Kumar is a veteran actor who became famous with popular movies like Roti, Kapda Aur Makaan
Whitfield Diffie and Martin Hellman win ACM 2015 A M Turing Award
- They are cryptologist from Stanford.
- The prize is referred to as the Nobel Prize of computing.
- It gets a $ I million prize funded by Google.
- Cryptography is a method of storing and transmitting data in a particular format so it can be read by intended receivers only.
Ratan Thiyam to get prestigious 11th Meta Lifetime Achievement Award
- Award is given for creating a new language in theatre and enriching the art form in various roles as writer, designer, director, composer and choreographer.
Singer Stevie Wonder was honoured with Global Green Hero award
- Award has been presented at the 13th Annual Global Green USA Pre Oscar Party
- He has performed in the music industry since the age of 11 till early 2010.
- He has been blind shortly after birth
- He was honored with the Gammy Award
Mumbai U-23 team wins CK Nayudu Trophy 2015-16
- They beat Madhya Pradesh in the final
- Mumbai senior team clinched their 41st Ranchi Torphy title against Saurastra in Pune
- The prize money for winning CK Nayadu Trophy is Rs 20 lakh.