SIDBI to raise 10000 crore for standup India fund
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) to rise 10000 crore for Stand Up India Fund from Reserve Bank of India
- Fund will be given to Dalit and women entrepreneurs.
- Each bank is mandated to lend to one micro enterprise promoted by women and SC and ST entrepreneur.
Government approves UDAY Bonds
- Ujjwal Discom Assurance Yojana (UDAY) is to help DISCOMs financially and operationally healthy.
- It will enable adequate power supply at affordable rates, enable electrification of villages and 24×7 power supply.
- Finance Ministry has approved issuance of UDAY bonds by four states:
- Uttar Pradesh
- Two new states have joined UDAY
- There are totally 16 states in UDAY
- 6 states have signed the UDAY contract
Budget Cut for ICDS
- Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) scheme has declined from 45% in 2008-09 to 3.26% in 2015-16.
- There has been a 7% reduction in funding.
- India has 442 million children. That is 39% of the country’s population. It receives less than 26% of the budget.
- ICDS was launched in 1975 in accordance with the National Policy for Children in India.
- It aims at holistic development of children under six years old.
- Six services are provided by the scheme:
- Supplementary nutrition
- Referral services
- Health checkup
- Pre-school non-formal education
- Health and nutrition education
Carriage by Air Amendment Bill approved
- The bill has been passed by the Rajya Sabha. Changes have been approved.
- It was passed by Lok Sabha in December 2015.
- Provisions of the bill are –
- Compensation for air travelers in case of death, injury, loss of baggage or delay of flights.
- Indian airlines will have to pay compensation once bill is implemented.
- The bill gives effect to the Montreal Convention which provides for application of international rules to domestic travel
- India acceded to the Montreal Convention in May 2009.
Business and Economy
Two more AWACS from Israel
- Additional surveillance aircraft will be purchased from Israel
- The proposal to acquire two more Phalcon Airborne Early Warning and Control Systems (AWACS) has been approved.
- The cost of the acquisition will be 7500 crores.
- A tripartite agreement has been signed with Russia and Israel.
Environment and Ecology
New frog species found in Biligiri
- New frog species has been found in BR Hills Tiger Reserve
- The frog is named Honnametti bush frog.
- It is a cryptic bush frog. It resembles another species of Seshachar’s bush frog.
- This is the first cryptic species found in the Western Ghats.
Randeep Hooda awarded in Australia
- Randeep Hooda was honoured by Melbourne based south Asian community members with Australia achievement award.
- Randeep Hooda launched nonprofit organization ‘Nobody dies Hungry’
- The organization was founded by Australian Indian Aloke Kumar.
Indira Gandhi Airport in World Number One position
- Delhi’s IGI is world number one in 25-40 million passengers per annum category.
- Ranking was announced by the Airports Council International.
- It retained the rank from 2014.
Rozle Prezelj elected chairman of IAAF Athletes commission
- The International Association of Athletics Federation Athletes’ commission appointed Rozle Prezelj as chairman.
- He will replace Frank Fredericks in the post.
- Britain Marathon world record-holder Paula Radcliffe was nominated Vice Chairwoman of the committee.
Art and Culture
Cave Art discovered in Kondane Caves in Raigarh, Maharastra
- 40 rock paintings have been discovered
- Paintings include a hunter standing with bow and arrow, a barasingha, footprints, palm impressions and some trees.
- Paintings are found in both natural and man-made caves
- The man made caves also have Buddhist architecture which belongs to Hinayana phase of Buddhism.
- Other paintings reflect everyday life and occupations