- China and Russia signed a gas deal estimated at nearly $4oo billion, culminating decade-long negotiations, for the annual supply of 38 billion cubic metres of natural gas.
- For China, the deal provides a source for clean energy that it will receive through a pipeline from Siberia’s gas fields.
- China had also pledged $ 20 billion investment in infrastructure and gas development in eastern Russia, further strengthening bilateral ties.
- This deal comes in as Russia is keen to end its dependence on European markets, especially since the impositions of sanctions by the West.
- Read at:http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/china-russia-sign-gas-deal/article6035170.ece
- China Russia Bilateral Relations
- Energy Security
- Central Asia