- There was a bomb attack in China’s western Xinjiang region. Law-breakers involved in terrorism could be considered for lenient punishments or mitigated punishments, provided they own up.
- Authorities prepared to launch a campaign to root out terror groups in the Muslim-majority Xinjiang region through extraordinary strike-hard measures.
- The attack left at least 39 people dead & many injured. The government fears that terror groups in Xinjiang, like the East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM), may be drawing support from cells or groups in Pakistan or Afghanistan.
- The government bans people from illegally crossing borders. Xinjiang borders Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK), Afghanistan and several countries.
- Read at : http://www.thehindu.com/
todays-paper/tp-international/ china-offers-lenient- punishment-to-terror-suspects- who-surrender/article6047586. ece
- Terrorism in China
- East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM)
- Uighur Muslims