U.S. slams ‘provocative’ China move on Philippine ships
- China was criticized by the U.S for blocking 2 Philippines vessels which prevented the ships from delivering supplies & troops. It urged ‘freedom of navigation’ in the tense South China Sea.
- US said that countries had a right to resupply & rotation of personnel.
- Philippines cited a “clear and urgent threat” to it’s interests.
- Beijing said that the ships had infringed China’s territorial sovereignty & a 2002 declaration of conduct in South China Sea.
- The Second Thomas Shoal which is called Ren’ai Reef by Beijing is 200 km away from western Philippine island of Palawan which is claimed by the Philippines, China & Taiwan.
- The other parts of Spratly islands which lie near sea lanes & enriched with mineral resources & fishes is claimed by Malaysia, Brunei &Vietnam.
- Spratly islands
- Second Thomas Shoal
- South China Sea