- Mohan Parasaran, the solicitor general is of the opinion that the central government has the powers to choose the Additional Director of CBI from the panel or list of names recommended to them to them by the selection committee.
- However, if only a single name is recommended by the committee, then the government will have the sole discretion of rejecting the name for any reasons, be it non-arbitrary, bona fide, reasonable, or cogent, provided that it is able to sustain any scrutiny from the judiciary.
- According to the Section 4C of the CVC Act, the central government can pass the appointment orders from the panel of officers, as they think fit.
- Therefore, they are not bound to accept the selection committee recommendation, when only a single name is proposed by them.
- CBI & autonomy
- Delhi Special Police Establishment Act