Notice to Centre on TTD plea against service tax
- Supreme Court has decided to check if the services like sevas and accommodation, provided by Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam will have to be scrutinized for the service tax purview
- K. Parasaran, the former Attorney-General and the senior advocate proposed that fundamental rights of practicing one’s religion are violated by this move. If service tax would be imposed on accommodation, then it would simply lead to including various other sevas in the purview of service tax.
- According to TTD, they offer a few minor yet essential things as basic amenities for the pilgrims. Income which is generated form lease or rent are used to maintain the building, and for developing better facilities
- There are no private hotels near the temples at Tirupati and Tirumanla. Hence, the temples provide all the facilities and rest houses to the pilgrims at very affordable costs.
- Contribution of Service tax in Direct taxes