- The Maldivian Demoratic Party (MDP) has accused the ruling Govt of misusing power to pressurise the Election Commission & other State institutions to favour them in the upcoming parliamentary elections, owing to which there is fear that elections maybe postponed, akin to the Presidential elections. Those pressurising EC are ones who fear free & fair elections.
- MDP President Masheed said that although EC had conducted free & fair elections ever since 2008, the Supreme Court had initiated suo moto criminal proceedings against it.
- Mohd Gayoom (pre-2008) ruled the country through conducting favourable elections by appointing his people to the EC.
- During last year’s presidential polls, intl observers criticised Supreme court for interfering in Presidential elections. The current Govt is interfering in EC’s functioning out of fear of being outperformed as they didn’t expect that MDM would perform well in the last local body elections.
- The rise of the religious Adaalath Party from 5 to 45 seats during this local body elections was a worrying factor. This was due to their seat-sharing alliance with Mohd Gayoom’s party.
- Mr.Nasheed appealed to international community, especially India to ensure that free & fair parliamentary polls take place.
- India Maldives relations
- Democracy in Maldives