IPL in United Arab Emirates sparks off debate over sanctity of game
- Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has zeroed in on United Arab Emirates (UAE) as the venue for 7th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL). There is skepticism about Dubai as a venue is for the following reasons :
- it can backfire as Dubai is the hub of match fixing and betting activities
- IPL in the United Arab Emirates amounts to exposing it to more illegal activities
- purity of the game cannot sustain as underworld don Dawood Ibrahim’s key accomplices reside in UAE
- Dubai is a considered as ‘Haven for fixing‘ activities
- Evidences for the skepticism about Dubai as a venue :
- IPL spot fixing links to an underworld network was traced to Dubai by Delhi Police
- 2000 match fixing was also linked to Dubai
- Indian cricket team stopped playing there few years ago because of the network’s presence there.
- The International Cricket Council’s (ICC) anti-corruption unit although vigilant need the assistance of police to expose any betting or fixing network.