A mandate for the UNHRC
- India was in limelight at 25th session of HRC as it had backed Sri Lanka unconditionally in 2009 session after the end of the war.
- It took an extreme move by voting twice against Sri Lanka which antagonized the majority Sinhala community.
- Tamil Nadu had influenced India’s vote last time but has lost steam with the Congress and DMK parting ways.
- It is debatable if it would overcome India’s long-standing opposition to intrusive international investigations as envisaged by the latest resolution.
- The northern Tamils have lost faith in India this time as it abstained.
- Tamils in Sri Lanka believe that nothing will change if OHCHR carries out the investigation as such a process hasn’t yielded genuine reconciliation with life & dignity anywhere thus far.
- 13th Amendment