- China has wasted no time in extending relations with the new govt in India. Chinese officials were one of the first to congratulate PM Modi and also visit the country.
- Amidst rising allegations of being a hostile neighbour, the move demonstrates China’s attempt to shed the tag.
- Visiting Chinese officials discussed various issues including border disputes and stresses for the need to solve the issues while raising bilateral ties.
- The visit also provided the PM with an opportunity to emphasize traditional links between the two countries and building relations on those grounds, an important step before the US-India-Japan trilateral to be hosted in New Delhi.
- But India’s strategic partnerships with China’s rivals should not be perceived to be a zero sum game
- The relations indicate that despite bilateral problems, there is willingness on both sides for pragmatic engagement.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-opinion/building-on-traditional-links/article6102755.ece