- According to various sources, a Boko Haram attack on Nigeria’s northeast town of Gamboru Ngala has left at least 300 hundred dead as gunmen burnt down many buildings and fired on civilians.
- The town was left unguarded as soldiers there had been redeployed to rescue more than 200 school girls who were kidnapped by Boko Haram earlier. A ransom of $300,000 has been announced for anyone providing information leading to the rescue.
- In another kidnapping, more than 11 young girls were kidnapped close to Boko Haram’s base.
- The country’s flaccid rescue efforts have been criticised by many,especially after Boko Haram’s leader released a video threatening to sell the girls as slaves.
- It has received offers of help from US, UK, France and China, which have set up various committees to help with the search and rescue plans.
- The Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan’s acceptance of military support indicates its inability to contain the 5yr old Boko Haram upraising by itself.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/hundreds-killed-in-boko-haram-attack-us-sends-experts/article5987631.ece
- Boko Haram
- Terrorism in Nigeria