- Battery-run e-rickshaws which were employed to provide last mile connectivity between residential areas and metro stations have been found operating on several
- arterial roads and parking on roads despite repeated warnings, causing traffic chaos.
- The absence of any legal backing and a policy to regulate their movement has made it difficult for traffic police to control them, turning them into menace despite their environmental benefits.
- The Transport Dept has issued notice directing the e-rickshaw owners to get vehicle type approvals from government-approved institutes, get trade licences and dealerships issued at the earliest.
- Government will now formulate a policy to register them, define their routes of operation and effectively rein their movement.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-newdelhi/battery-rickshaws-irk-traffic-cops/article5924484.ece