Now, Bangladeshi diplomat in soup
- Bangladeshi Consul General in New York Mr.Islam and his wife were slapped with a lawsuit akin to Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade as their help Mr.Rana claimed in the Manhattan federal court that Mr. Islam and his wife promised $3000 per month and will provide good working conditions if he agreed to be their domestic worker in U.S.
- The domestic help reported that he was forced to work from 6.30 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily without pay, made to sleep in the Kitchen, and serve as cook at Bangladesh Consulate events.
- Mr.Islam claimed that the house staff sued him and his wife in a bid to gain permanent residency in the U.S. and his charges were termed baseless.
- The career diplomat also claimed to have paid Mr. Rana’s father 12 lakh takas before bringing him to New York.
- Mr. Rana seeks damages in the lawsuit and alleged that he was forbidden to leave Mr. Islam’s residence and threatened to be beaten up or killed.
- He was physically assaulted and coerced by the couple to remain at home, saying that the police would arrest and kill him if he left their residence. They possessed his passport and withheld all compensation.
- USA Bangladesh bilateral relaitons
- VISA Fraud