- The Union Home Ministry has notified a five-year extension of the ban on the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
- Under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967, has been extended for five years with effect from May 14, the LTTE was banned after the assassination of the former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1991.
- LTTE is a Sri Lanka based organization which has supporters, and agents in India and its objective of a separate homeland (Tamil Eelam) for Tamils threatened the sovereignty and territorial integrity of India.
- The LTTE has not stopped at this but has been working towards fund-raising and propaganda activities in Europe
- The LTTE has spread an anti-Indian feeling among Sri Lankan Tamils by holding the top Indian political leaders and bureaucrats responsible for
- the LTTE’s defeat which will have an impact on VVIP security in India as well
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/ban-on-ltte-extended-by-five-years/article6014378.ece