- In Kerala,a case against the principal and 11 students of a college followed the arrest of five others in Bangalore in May and detention of one among them for using “objectionable and unsavoury” language against Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- In Bangladesh and Pakistan, people are regularly arrested.
- In Nepal arrest of people for their posts on Facebook asking for death against Home Minister Bam Dev Gautam for violating traffic rules.
- The government of Nepal introduced a Bill on Contempt of Court in Parliament.
- The bill consider as an attempt to muzzle the press and contain freedom of speech and expression,a retaliation against the media appointment process of justices to the Supreme Court.
- The government has denied the charge that the freedom of expression can easily be suppressed even in countries where press freedom is 100 % guaranteed.
- Mahendra Bista, Chairman of Federation of Nepalese Journalists (FNJ) pointed that the contends do not augur well for media. Clause 4 of the Bill states that “publishing falsified documents regarding sub judice cases may influence a verdict or erode people’s trust in the court.”
- Social Media
- Contempt of Court