- Seas are getting polluted due to microplastic particles.
- Wave action, heat and ultra-violet (UV) damage break the plastics which enter the sea into microplastic.
- These microplastic enter the bodies of marine creatures through their gills and it takes around 6 times longer to leave the body compared to standard digestion.
- These microplastics get into the body of the common shore crab, after sticking to hair-like ‘setae’ structures in the crabs.
- The plastics are retained within the animal and are being passed up the food chain.
- Read at:http://www.thehindu.com/
todays-paper/tp-in-school/are- we-gulping-down-plastic-with- sea-food/article6239007.ece