- Even with Ukraine continuing its crackdown against protesters, “Donetsk People’s Republic” has approved a referendum with the question: “Do you support the declaration of state sovereignty by the Donetsk People’s Republic?” and has started its printing.
- The wording doesn’t necessarily suggest a breakup with Ukraine and Russia is unwilling to absorb eastern Ukraine and has called for granting Ukraine’s Russian-speaking regions enough autonomy to veto Kiev’s likely decision to join the European Union (EU) and NATO.
- Donetsk, which has been the flashpoint of protests, is the industrial heartland and has carried out protests in a peaceful manner unlike its neighbouring city of Sloviansk. The latter paraded alleged observers who they are now planning to exchange for activists arrested by Kiev authorities.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/another-referendum-on-the-cards/article5954798.ece
- Geneva Agreement on Ukraine Reforms
- Ukraine crisis