- Nehru had envisioned about accommodating the cultures of tribal regions with the mainstream societies of the nation, but without diluting their root cultures. However, most of the tribes in the North East regions are getting absorbed by the mainstream cultures itself, which is mainly dominated by the North Indian Hindus. In the year 2010, Home Secretary had emphasized on this trend, and pointed out that the tribal population had also started celebrating Dasara, which is a Hindu festival of the mainstream population.
- The mainstream culture seems to have absorbed these tribal cultures, and one of the reasons for this assimilation could also be because they are looked down upon by the people from mainstream communities. The mentality of dominant mainstream does not give room for appreciating the tribal cultures unless they lose their origins altogether.
- Even some of the actions by the state provoke racial discrimination. Some of the legislative actions like the AFSPA also speak on the same lines. According to them, the tribal cultures should develop the civilised norms, so that they are able to fight more efficiently with insurgencies. That is why the tribal cultures are forced to adopt the civilised cultures and values.
- Although, it is natural for the dominant mainstream to absorb the small cultures, it is equally important for us to make sure that they do not lose their identity in the process. Uniqueness of each and every culture is to be genuinely appreciated. Proper knowledge of other small cultures and understanding can help in making way for this change in mainstream mentality.
- We should not let the ‘collective amnesia’ to take over us, which make people totally forget their roots in the process of getting accommodated. Each cultural group should be appreciated for their uniqueness and individuality.
- North east exodus
- Cultural tolerance
- Tribal Panchsheel by Nehru