Download : 8th April, 2017 - Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF's here )
National Current Affairs
Government sets up National Board for Electric Mobility
- In a bid to promote electric mobility and manufacturing of electric/hybrid vehicles and their components, Central Government constituted National Board for Electric Mobility (NBEM) on 3rd April 2017.
Berhampur Thakurani Yatra Festival Begins in Odisha
- The festival of Goddess Budhi Thakurani called Berhampur Thakurani Yatra begun in southern Odisha
- Berhampur is called the Silk city of Odisha. The festival has been celebrated in Berhampur from 1672.
Beneficiaries of PM’s Ujjwala Yojana crosses 2 crore mark
- The number of people benefitting from the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana for providing (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) LPG connections to Below Poverty Line (BPL) households has crossed 2 crore mark.
National conference on Communicating India 2017
A day-long conference was based on the three main themes
1.Telling India’s story to the world
2.Communicating via Journalism and
3.Dialogue with Diaspora
International Current Affairs
South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) Finance Ministers’ Meeting
- From this meeting onwards, Myanmar has become the 7th nation to join SASEC as a member country.
- Finance Ministers from Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal and Sri Lanka, officials from Asian Development Bank (ADB) were also present.
Business & Economy
ICICI Venture invest $20 to buy stake in Theobroma
- ICICI Venture is planning to do to do a new project by investing $20 million to acquire a considerable stake in Theobroma, owned and managed bakery, patisserie and chocolate based in Mumbai, India.
- The investment will mark the third transaction from ICICI Venture.
People in News
Tapan Singhel re-appointed Bajaj Allianz General CEO for five years
- Tapan Singhel has been re-appointed as MD and CEO for Bajaj Allianz General Insurance for a period of five years from April 1, 2017 to April 1, 2022.
Kishori Amonkar Hindustani classical vocalist passed away
- Classical singer Kishori Amonkar passed away at the age of 84
- Beside a singer, Amonkar was also a popular speaker and traveled throughout India giving lectures, most notably on the theory of rasa in music.
- Amonkar received Padma Bhushanin 1987 and Padma Vibhushan in 2002.
- In 2010, she became a fellow of the Sangeet Natak Academy, the national academy of music, arts, and dance. She also received Sangeet Natak Academy award in that year
Gilbert Baker – The LGBT rainbow flag creator passed away
- Gilbert Baker, a gay rights activist and the creator of the iconic Rainbow Flag passed away
- He was a part of a gay rights community in San Francisco in 1970.He had also served for the U.S Army for two years.
- In 1994, Baker created a mile long version of the flag for the 25th Anniversary of the Stonewall Riot of 1969. It was carried by 5000 people and measuring 30 feet by 5280 feet.