Download : 7th February, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
NATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal Launches Chief Minister Samagra Gramya Unnayan Yojana (CMSGUY) in Assam
- Chief Minister of Assam launched Chief Minister Samagra Gramya Unnayan Yojana (CMSGUY) with an aim to develop all the villages to Assam in the next five years.
- Aim is to The CMSGUY scheme aims to bring a revolutionary change in the state by doubling the farm income by 2022.
- For the proper implementation of the scheme a Mega Mission Society has been constituted under the chairmanship of Sarbananda Sonowal.
HRD Ministry to set up NTA to Conduct Exams for Higher & Secondary Education
- The Union Human Resource Development Ministry led by under Prakash Javadekar is set to constitute a National Testing Agency (NTA) which will be responsible for conducting examinations for higher and secondary education.
- The main aim of setting NTA is to ease the work of the bodies like CBSE, AICTE, from the responsibilities of conducting exams, and eventually enable them to focus more on academics.
- The National Testing aims to bring professionalism, competence and transparency in the field of conducting tests for higher educational institutions and benefit students as well.
Andhra Pradesh Gets its First Smart Police Station
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister inaugurates the State’s first Smart Police Station at Nagarampalem in Guntur city in Amaravati.
- The main motive behind such smart police station is to bring a sense of pride among the officers and satisfaction among the public.
- The smart police stations are fully air-conditioned with a staff room, dormitory, mini control room, a reception chamber and individual enclosures for the Station House Officer and three Sub-Inspectors.
- Instead of lock-up for detainees, a custody room with a double bed has been deployed.
- Above all, a closed circuit television cameras have been installed in and around the station for closer surveillance of staff behaviour and movement of visitors.
Railways Approves Rail Project in Andaman and Nicobar
- The Railway Ministry is set to develop the first ever railway line in Andaman and Nicobar Island that currently has no rail network.
- The Ministry of Railway is set to approve the project that will construct 240-km broad gauge railway line connecting Port Blair with Diglipur, the largest town on Andaman Island.
- It will connect the two islands with bridges and stations along the coast.
Tripartite MoU signed among M/o of Tourism, M/s NPCC & NBCC and Govt of J&K for Implementation of Tourism Projects In J&K
- A Tripartite Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) was signed among the Ministry of Tourism, M/s NPCC & NBCC and Government of J&K for the implementation of Tourism projects in Jammu and Kashmir.
- As a part of the new initiative, Development of Tourism in the State– New Projects, the Ministry of Tourism has sanctioned two projects, one each to NPCC and NBCC.
- The first project sanctioned to M/s NBCC includes Integrated Development of Tourist facilities at Gulmarg – Baramulla – Kupwara – Leh.
- The project under M/s NPCC includes Integrated Development of Tourist facilities at Mantalai – Sudhmahadev – Patnitop in Jammu & Kashmir.
- The main focus of these projects includes developments of Yoga centre, wellness SPA, Log Huts, heliports, Open air theatre, walking trail, landscaping, solar lighting, solid waste management & public amenities etc.
Supreme Court Directs Centre to Link Mobile Numbers to Aadhaar within a Year
- The Supreme Court has directed the central government to link the phone numbers of the entire mobile users, with their Aadhaar Number within a period of one year.
- The verification decision by bench of Judges including Chief Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar and Justice NV Ramana was needed as mobile phones are being used for banking purposes.
- The court has proposed the government to frame rules and regulations so that SIM cards, including pre-paid, are not misused.
INTERNATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
UN Agency Calls for International Collaboration on Wheat Rust to Curb Threat to Global Supplies
- According to a new study conducted by scientists in collaboration with the UN Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO),two new groups of wheat rust have been identified that posed threat to wheat produced in Africa, Asia and Europe in 2016.
- As per the data, the two new groups have been identified as yellow rust and stem rust.
- The study was published in the Journal Nature. It said that wheat rusts spread rapidly over long distances by wind.
- If they are not detected and treated on time, they can turn healthy crops into a tangle of yellow leaves, black stems and shriveled grains.
Indian Coast Guard to have Joint Exercise with UAE Coast Guard
- In an effort to strengthen the bilateral relations between India and UAE, the Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) Samudra Pavak made a goodwill visit at the Mina Al Rashid (Dubai Port).
- As a part of the visit, a joint exerciseis scheduled to take place between Indian coast guard and UAE coast guard to enhance co-operation and exchange of operational expertise.
- Besides, training and sporting events between the coast guards of both the countries will also take place.
- Samudra Pavak or “Purifier of the Seas” is the third ship of the Pollution Control Vessel series of the Indian Coast Guard that was indigenously designed and commissioned in January 2016.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Bank of Maharashtra ties up with Cigna TTK
- Public sector lender Bank of Maharashtra has partnered with insurance company Cigna TTK Health to market the insurer’s products in the bank’s branches across the entire country.
- Under the agreement, the bank will offer the all of Cigna TTK’s superior health insurance products to its 2 crore customers through its network of over 1,896 branches, its 14,000 bank employees across the country as well as through its digital platforms.
Axis Bank ties up with Earthport
- Axis Bank has tied up with Earthport Plc, a cross-border payment network, to enable faster outbound cross-border payments for its customers through Earthport’s state-of-the-art global payments network.
- Axis Bank has become the first bank in India to connect with Earthport’s global payments network, which spans over 60 countries.
- The Bank joins a growing number of major banks across the globe that can, through a single connection with Earthport, send payments seamlessly to almost any bank account in the world on behalf of their clients, while delivering a faster, more efficient and cost-effective service.
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Starts Pilot Operation in Bengaluru
- The Ujjivan Small Finance Bank officially started its operation with 5 pilot branches in
- The five pilot branches of the Ujjivan SFB would offer full services to its customers.
- The Small Finance Bank will test its technology, channels, people and processes for a period of one month as a part of its pilot launch.
- The Ujjivan SFB will work to become the leading retail bank in the next five years to cater to the needs of the un-served and under-served customers.
Uber Launches Taxi Hiring Service UberHIRE
- Uber has launched a new service under the name UberHIRE that will enable the customers to hire the taxi for the day on hourly basis.
- The pilot service was launched in Kochi after which it was made available in New Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Vizag and Nagpur.
- UberHIRE is a time-bound facility by Uber, available on-demand, for variety of activities like exploring a new city, business travellers etc. The service would help all sections of people ranging from senior citizens, business travellers and tourists.
Indian-Origin British Sculptor Anish Kapoor Wins $ 1 Million Israeli Prize
- Renowned Indian-origin British sculptor Anish Kapoor was honored with the prestigious $1 million 2017 Genesis Prize on February 6, 2017 by Israel for his utmost contribution for Jewish community.
- However, the money received by the innovative artist would be contributed by him to help the Syrian refugees and expand Jewish engagement in the global effort to reduce the refugee crisis.
- Anish was chosen by the prize committee headed by Jewish Agency Chairman Natan Sharansky.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Scientists Discovers Neurocalyx Calycinus Plant to Possess High Medicinal Values
- Scientists from Jawaharlal Nehru Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute (JNTBGRI) confirmed through clinical testing that Neurocalyx calycinus, a medicinal plant has multiple curative properties.
- Based on the knowledge of the tribal group, Cholanaickan tribe, in Kerala, who used the plant to treat inflammations and wounds.
- The herbal plant helps in burn-healing, wound-healing, anti-cancer, analgesic, immuno-enhancing, anti-inflammatory, platelet-augmentation and anti-oxidant effects.
Alastair Cook steps down as England Test captain
- Alastair Cook has resigned as England Test captain after a record 59 matches in the role, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said.
Iran Lifts Ban on American Wrestling Team
- Iran lifted up the ban it had imposed on United States Wrestlers, thus allowing them to participate in the Freestyle World Cup to be held in Iran in February.
- Iran had banned the American team on February 3, 2017 after the decision of US President Donald Trump to temporarily suspend Visas to seven Muslim majority countries including Iran.
- However, the United States Federal Judge suspended the ban imposed by US Government on Iranian Nationals travelling to the U.S. But the Trump administration is again appealing to reinstate the travel ban.
- The Freestyle World Cup is to be held in the Iranian city of Kermanshah from February 16 to February 17, 2017.
India Set to Host World Billiards Championship For Next Four Years
- The Billiards and Snoooker Federation of India (BSFI) informed that India will host the World Billiards Championship for the next four years.
- The Billiards and Snooker Federation of India (BSFI) is the central authority that deals with the growth and development of cue sports in India.