Download : 6th June, 2017 - Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF's here )
National Current Affairs
Segregated waste collection vehicles in NCR
- The government launched the solid waste segregation at source in the National Capital Region (NCR)
- It is being done in the backdrop of 145 waste-to-compost plants becoming functional across the country.
- At present increasing compost production from 1.5 lakh tonnes in March 2016 to 13.13 lakh tonnes.
Telangana launches single-woman pension scheme, first in India
- Under this scheme, Telangana State Govt. will provide 1,000 financial assistance per month to single women. The beneficiaries would get the pension in their bank accounts every month.
- Officials have identified 108302 beneficiaries in 31 districts.
- This scheme will benefit unmarried women, joginis and divorced women.
- Besides, children of single women would be admitted into all Telangana Residential Educational Institutions without having to write an examination or waiting for the lottery system.
India’s first public bicycle sharing project launched in Mysuru
- The World Bank, Global Environmental Fund andstate govt have jointly funded the initiative.
- The users have to obtain a smart card which they can swipe and take a bicycle from a docking station, and return it at any other station, where a user fee would be deducted from the smart card.
- The project is being operated by Green Wheel Ride, a city-based manufacturer of eco-friendly bicycles.
- A total of 450 bicycles (430 regular and 20 with gear) can be borrowed for a nominal fee from 48 automated docking stations set up at major tourist destinations, universities and offices.
NSDC, Bird Academy tie up to train 35,000 in aviation
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) has signed a pact with Bird Academy to train 35,000 unemployed youth across various states in the aviation space.
- Those trained will include youth from North Eastern states and minimum 5,000 women and tribal youths from the underprivileged sections of the society and assist states in capacity building over the next six years.
- Under the guidance of aerospace and aviation sector skill council the two organizations will work together to set up training centers and center of excellence in India.
Women to be allowed in combat roles in Indian Army
- Currently women are allowed in medical, legal, educational, signals and engineering wings of the Army.
- The Indian Air Force created history last year when it inducted three women as fighter pilots.
- Women are allowed in a number of select areas including in medical, legal, educational, signals and engineering wings of the Army but combat roles are kept off limit for them due to operational concerns and logistical issues.
- The Indian Navy is currently deliberating on a policy of having women onboard ships.
- The Navy allows women in various other segments including in legal, logistics, naval architecture and engineering departments.
International Current Affairs
India overtakes China to top global retail index says GRDI report
- India has overtaken China and has ranked as the top country in the 2017 Global Retail Development Index (GRDI)
- 2017 Global Retail Development Index (GRDI) – Top 5:
|5th||United Arab Emirates (UAE)|
Denmark revokes 334-year-old blasphemy law
- Denmark has finally repealed its 334-year-old blasphemy law despite warnings that such an act could lead to an increase in hate crimes and terror attacks.
- The law that has just been revoked criminalized blasphemous acts such as burning the Bible or Quran.
- Paragraph number 140 in Denmark’s criminal code stated that persons carrying out public insults or denigrating, in this country, lawful religious teachings or worships, may be punished with fines or imprisonment up to four months.
Business & Economy
World Bank keeps 2017 global growth forecast at 2.7%
- Advanced economies are expected to grow at 9% in 2017, accelerating from the 1.7% growth in 2016. However growth of advanced economies will slow down to 1.8% in 2018 and 1.7% in 2019.
- In 2017, emerging markets and developing economies are expected to grow at 1%, as compared to 3.5% in 2016.
- These economies will soon catch momentum and are expected to register growth rate of 4.5% in 2018 and 4.7% in 2019.
ICICI Bank commissions 200 solar-powered ATMs
- ICICI Bank has mentioned that it has commissioned over 200 solar powered ATM sites in the last one year as part of its efforts to reduce carbon footprint and use more clean energy.
- ICICI Bank has reduced its overall energy consumption in large offices and branches from 198 million units in 2013-14 to 164 million units in 2016-17, saving 34 million units in last three years.
- On account of these initiatives, there has been reduction in the bank’s overall carbon emission by nearly 40,000 tonnes.
NSE launches international exchange at GIFT city
- NSE IFSC Ltd is the global exchange which is promoted by NSE.
- All the trades will be cleared and settled through NSE IFSC Clearing Corporations Ltd.
- Several products from the currency, commodity and equity segments will be get listed on the new exchange.
- Markets regulator SEBI has recently issued norms allowing international exchanges to operate up to 23 hours in GIFT and settle trades at least twice a day.
NTPC sets up electric vehicle charging stations in Delhi, Noida
- It has been launched to promote clean energy transportation in the country.
- The company is looking to venture into other cities, adding that installation is underway in multiple locations across the country.
Filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar to receive Bharat Gaurav Award by NRI community of US
- Spiritual leader,Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Late Kalpana Chawla (astronaut), Bindeshwar Pathak (founder of Sulabh International), Acharya Lokesh Muni are other prominent personalities, who will be conferred Bharat Gaurav Award this year along with Madhur Bhandrkar.
- Bharat Gaurav Awards are a set of awards given out by the Non Residential Indian (NRI) community of USA.
Science & Technology
India’s heaviest rocket with GSAT-19 satellite lifts-off into space
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle-Mark III (GSLV-Mk III) – D1, along with a communications satellite GSAT-19
- 43 metres tall GSLV-Mk III weighed 640 tonnes. It’s main and bigger cryogenic engine has been developed by ISRO scientists.
- The communications satellite GSAT-19 weighed 3,136kg (heaviest to be lifted by an Indian rocket till date). It is a multi-beam satellite that carries Ka and Ku band forward and return link transponders and geostationary radiation spectrometer. GSAT-19 has a life span of 10 years.
Mongolia’s first university satellite flies into space from US
- The launch took place at 5:50 am Ulan Bator time on Sunday ((2150 GMT Saturday)from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, United States.
- It includes four other CubeSats belonging to Japan, Nigeria, Ghana and Bangladesh. They were launched from the SpaceX Falcon9 Rocket.
- The Mongolian CubeSat is designed, built and owned by a team of young scholars of the National University of Mongolia (NUM) in collaboration with young scholars and students from participating countries including Ghana, Japan, Bangladesh and Nigeria.
- It’s the second satellite of Mongolia after the Mongol Sat-1 was sent into space on April 19.
Trai launches three apps for tracking call and data quality
- The application will help mobile phone users rate their experience about voice call quality.
- It will help Telecom Regulatory Authority of India to gather customer experience data along with network data.
- The caller will have to select the rating in the form of stars and indicate whether the call was made indoor, outdoor or while travelling.
- Callers can also provide additional details such as noise or audio delay and mark a call drop, if they believe that is how the call got terminated.
Sports Current Affairs
Ramkumar wins ITF Futures title in Singapore
- Indian tennis player Ramkumar Ramanathan has won Raymond Sarmiento of the USA in Singapore.
- It was the first title of the season for Ramkumar and 5th of his career.