Download : 6th January, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
National Current Affairs
Two-day Assam Biotech Conclave 2017 Begins in Guwahati
- Two-day Assam Biotech Conclave 2017 began in Guwahati, Assam.
- The main objective of the conclave is to bring together the policy makers, industry professionals, investment bankers, Angel Investors and academicians to deliberate the latest trends in this sector
- This will create business and partnering opportunities for its stakeholders and to showcase the facilities and opportunities offered by Guwahati Biotech Park.
- This conclave will revolve around a various sessions including technical, business tea research & biotechnology, sericulture biotechnology, entrepreneurship development, innovation & incubation,
- An MoU signing ceremony with various organizations, unveiling of draft state biotechnology policy for Assam and unveiling of master plan for Guwahati Biotech Park.
IPR Enforcement Toolkit for Police and IPR Awareness Campaign for school Children
- The IPR Enforcement Toolkit has been jointly prepared by Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM) and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
- This toolkit will enable the police officials across the country in dealing with IP crimes, specifically Trade Marks counterfeiting and Copyrights piracy.
- The device would include details of offences under various laws along with checklists for registering a complaint and conducting search and seizures.
- It also lays down general guidelines for search and seizure in case of IP crimes. This toolkit will be provided to all state police departments across the nation to assist them in dealing with the cases relating to Trademarks and Copyrights infringements.
Business & Economy
Karnataka Bank launches group Personal Accident Insurance Scheme
- The insurance scheme is named “KBL Suraksha”and provides insurance cover for accidental death.
- All the SB Account holders within the age group of 18-70 years can register themselves for the insurance scheme.
- The KBL Suraskha Scheme comes in two variants.
- Plan A– provides an accidental insurance of Rs 5 lakh on payment of Annual premium of Rs 50(plus service charge).
- Plan B– provides an accidental insurance of Rs 10 lakh on payment of Annual premium of Rs 100(plus service charge).
- The maximum renewal age for the policy will be 75 years.
SIDBI ties up with LIC for capital support to enterprises
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has tied up with Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) to give a boost to the venture capital ecosystem for MSMEs.
- LIC and SIDBI signed Contribution Agreements with 7 Venture Capital Funds(VCFs) with an aggregate commitment of Rs 99.50 crore from LIC
- This is over and above commitment of Rs 162.75 crore already given to these funds by SIDBI.
- Commitments made by SIDBI in fiscal years 2015 and 2016 were Rs 314.40 (11 funds) and Rs 606.75 crore (19 funds), respectively.
People in News
Capgemini Appoints Anil Jalali of IBM as HR head for India Operation
- Jalali takes over from BL Narayan who is joining Capgemini’s Business Services Strategic Business unit as head of solutions and sales support.
- Capgemini is a French multinational management consulting corporation headquartered in Paris, France. It is one of the world’s largest consulting, technology and outsourcing companies with 180,000 employees in over 40 countries
IBM India Appoints Karan Bajwa as Managing Director
- Karan Bajwa succeeds Vanitha Narayana, who has been elevated as Chairman of IBM India.
- Bajwa will be responsible for all strategic and operational matters related to IBM’s sales, marketing, services and delivery operations in the India/South Asia region, including Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
- International Business Machines Corporation is an American multinational technology company headquartered in Armonk, New York, United States, with operations in over 170 countries.
S Padmanabhan Appointed as Chairman of Tata Power
- Tata Sons has nominated S Padmanabhan as the Chairman of Tata Power Co Ltd with immediate effect, in place of Cyrus Mistry who resigned in December 2016.
- He is also the executive chairman of the Tata Business Excellence Group and has recently been appointed as Tata Sons’ group head for human resources.
- Padmanabhan has been with the Tata Group for 34 years, of which 26 were with Tata Consultancy Services.
Sir Tim Barrow has been appointed as the Britain’s ambassador to the EU
- Sir Tim Barrow has been appointed as the Britain’s ambassador to the European Union(EU) by after Sir Ivan Rogers resigned from the post.
- Sir Tim Barrow was earlier the Ambassador of the United Kingdom to the Moscow.
- The replacement of Sir Ivan Roger was needed quickly as there was need to prepare for the Brexit talks. Also the appointment of Sir Tim Barrow is bit surprising as he is not a wholehearted supporter of Brexit.
Sitar Player Abdul Halim Jaffer dies at 88
- Renowned Sitar maestro Abdul Halim Jaffer Khan has died at the age of 88.
- Khan was the last survivor of the Sitar Trinity that comprised Pandit Ravi Shankar and Ustad Vilayat Khan. He has been credited for innovating the unique music style of “Jafferkhani Baaj“.
- The musician was the recipient of the Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and Sangeet Natak Akademi
Gangumei Kabui, Former Manipur Minister Passes Away
- Renowed historian and former minister of Manipur Gangmumei Kabui passed away in Imphal, Manipur. He was 77.
- Kabui was the founder & president of the Federal Party of Manipur . He had served as a Cabinet minister twice from Nungba constituency.
- He joined BJP in 2013 and established several social bodies related with history and performing arts.
- He has written more than 15 books related with the history of Manipur and the various ethnic groups settled in the state.
Science & Technology
Scientists discover a new human organ, Mesentery, in digestive system
- Scientists in Ireland have discovered a brand new organ named Mesentery, inside the digestive system which was not known till date.
- Mesentery as an organ was for past 100 years being considered as a fragmented structure made up of multiple separate parts.
- Mesentery is a fold of the peritoneum which attaches the stomach, small intestine, pancreas, spleen, and other organs to the posterior wall of the abdomen.
- The discovery is hoped to aid better understanding and treatment of abdominal and digestive diseases with less invasive surgeries, fewer complications, faster patient recovery and lower overall costs.