Download : 5th May, 2017 - Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF's here )
National Current Affairs
Indore is India’s cleanest city, UP’s Gonda dirtiest: Swachh Bharat survey
|1st||Indore – Madhya Pradesh|
|2nd||Bhopal – Madhya Pradesh|
|3rd||Visakhapatnam – Andhra Pradesh|
|4th||Surat – Gujarat|
|5th||Mysuru – Karnataka|
Approvals by Central government – May 2017
- Cabinet has cleared the nonperforming asset (NPA) resolution package that includes an ordinance to amend the Banking Regulation Act for empowering the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to deal with bad assets in an effective manner.
- Ex-post facto approval to the signing the Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) with Japan on Railway Safety. This MoC was signed in February 2017.
- Approved modifications in the recommendations of the 7th Central Pay Commission (CPC) relating to the method of revision of pension of pre-2016 pensioners and family pensioners.
- Ex-post facto approval to signing of mou with Malaysia on development of a urea and ammonia manufacturing plant in Malaysia.
- Approved the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (mou) on Cooperation in area of Civil Aviation with Spain.
- Approval for Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters (SAMPADA)for period 2016-20.
- Approval for the declaration of Vijayawada Airport in Andhra Pradesh as International Airport.
UP, Haryana and Madhya Pradesh State legislative Assembly Passes GST Bill
- With this the number of states that have passed the law of Parliament’s nod to the GST bills increased to
- Four key GST legislations— the Central GST Act, the Integrated GST Act, the GST (Compensation to States) Act and the Union Territory GST Act — were passed by Parliament in its last session.
- Different indirect taxes like the central excise duty, central sales tax and service tax are to be merged with the C-GST.
International Current Affairs
World’s first quantum computing machine made in China
- The world’s first quantum computing machine is 24,000 times faster than its international counterparts.
- Researchers believe that quantum computers in some ways may dwarf the processing powers of current day supercomputers.
Business & Economy
Reliance, SAP launch ‘SARAL GST’ solution for taxpayers
- SARAL GST will enable easy access to taxpayers once it will be started from 1stof July 2017.
- SARAL GST will provide simplified operations high quality of service and security to taxpayers
- t will hold the proficiency of RCITPL as GST Suvidha Provider (GSP) and SAP as Application Service Provider (ASP)
- GSP, RCITPL will connect ASPs to the Government’s GST system through Jio MPLS network.
- It will enable taxpayers to create, manage and file GST Returns in a simple, safe and effective way.
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank commences operations in Pune
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank has started its operations in Its total branches now come to 30 across the country.
- It provide services like doorstep banking, mobile, internet and phone banking, access to biometric ATMs and Aadhar enabled debit cards.
- It offers savings bank account with no charges for minimum balance.
- Ujjivan has presence across 14 districts in Maharashtra with 51 branches, catering to over 3.65 lakh customers.
ADB Predicts 7.4 percent growth for Indian Economy this Fiscal
- Asian Development Bank predicts 7.4% in the current fiscal year 2017-18 and 7.1% in the fiscal year.
- One of the reasons of Asian economies growth is that they have enjoyed from open free trade system.
- Open trade and free movement of capital plays an important in India’s economy growth.
- The rupee has appreciated by over 5 per cent against the US dollar since January
Cabinet approves National Steel Policy 2017
- National Steel Policy 2017 which aims to make India self-sufficient in steel production has been approved.
- The policy is geared towards increasing domestic steel consumption, ensuring high quality steel production and creating a technology-driven globally competitive steel industry.
- Additional 10 lakh crore will be invested by year 2030-31 to increase the steel production capacity.
Sports Ministry announces changes in National Youth Awards
- The changes are done to bring transparency in the selection process.
- A new Logo for the National Youth Awards was also released by the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports
- Increase in the number of the awards under National Youth Award. The prize money is now Rs 200000 with a Trophy and Certificate.
- For the first time, the nominations for the National Youth Awards (NYA) will be received and processed through online mode to cover the people on pan-India basis.
- It has been presented to give recognition to their outstanding work and to motivate them to achieve excellence in the field on National Development and Social Service.
- The number of Awards in the Organization category has now been increased from 1 to 10
- The number of awards in the Individual category has now been increased to 25 and amount of money for the Award has also been enhanced to Rs 50000.
Village Financial Services gets award
- Kolkata-based Micro Finance Institution, Village Financial Services has bagged MSME Banking Excellence Awards 2016
- Village Financial Services won the award under the category ‘Best NBFC-MFI for Promotional Schemes’. Village Financial Services was also adjudged as the runner-up in Eco-Technology Savvy NBFC-MFI category.
- Village Financial Services is the 1st Micro Finance Company in Eastern Region with Non-Banking Financial Company status (NBFC) registered by Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- It is also the 1st ISO certified Micro Finance Company in India.
Science & Technology
India test-fires Agni-II ballistic Missile from Wheeler Island, off Odisha coast
- Agni-II ballistic missile has a strike range of 2000 kilometers. The test was aimed at re-establishing the operational effectiveness of the weapon system.
- Agni missile series being developed by DRDO as a deterrent against nuclear armed neighbors.
Sports Current Affairs
India rises to 100th spot in FIFA rankings in 21 years
- In the latest FIFA rankings the Indian football team has raised to be ranked 100th for the first time ever in over two decades.
- This is India’s best-ever FIFA ranking since April 1996.
- The national team has secured victories in 11 of their last 13 matches (including an unofficial match against Bhutan), scoring 31 goals in the process