Download : 5th June, 2017 - Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF's here )
National Current Affairs
Uttarakhand Governor launches Vidya-Veerta mission
- Vice Chancellors of universities will be presented with the portraits of Param Vir Chakra recipients.
- These portraits will be displayed at the institutions to pass the message to every citizen of this country is responsible for the country’s safety.
International Current Affairs
India has 31% of world’s poor kids: report
- According to a new report by the Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (OPHI) about 31% of the world’s “multi dimensionally poor” children live in India
- In terms of countries, fully 31% of the 689 million poor children live in India.
- This is followed by Nigeria (8%), Ethiopia (7%) and Pakistan (6%).
- A multidimensionally poor child is one who lacks at least one-third of ten indicators, grouped into three dimensions of poverty: health, education and standard of living.
- The health dimension comprises indicators such as nutrition, child mortality, and education.
- Under standard of living are indicators such as access to cooking fuel, improved sanitation, safe drinking water, electricity, flooring, and asset ownership.
- Out of India’s 217 million (21.7 crore) children, 9% were multidimensionally poor.
UN General Assembly elects five non-Permanent UNSC Members
- UN General Assembly has elected Cote D’ Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Kuwait, Poland and Peru as the non-permanent members of the Security Council for a two-year term.
- Netherland was also elected to serve a one-year term. It will share with Italy.
- The UN Security Council is made up of 10 elected members and five permanent veto-wielding powers– the United States, Britain, France, China and Russia.
Business and Economy
SBI funds 100 MW Rooftop solar projects under WB program
- State Bank of India (SBI) has announced financing of 100 MW rooftop solar projects for private developers under a World Bank program.
- The total cost is worth Rs 400 crore.
- SBI has availed loan of USD 625 million from the World Bank for on-lending to viable Grid-Connected Rooftop Solar PV (GRPV) projects.
- Under this programme the developers that the SBI will be financing include Azure Power, Amplus, and Cleanmax.
- SBI has also provided Rs 30,000 crore finance to the clean energy projects.
- The capacity of the projects and programmes financed range from 25kWp to 16MW.
- SBI has so far sanctioned GRPV projects with aggregate capacity of 100 MW, and proposals are in the pipeline with aggregate capacity of around 125 MW.
SEBI constitutes committee on Corporate Governance
- This move is aimed at improving the standards of corporate governance of listed companies
- The panel has been mandated to submit the report within a period of four months.
- It includes representatives of Corporate India, stock exchanges, professional bodies, investor groups, chambers of commerce, law firms, academicians and research professionals and SEBI.
- It ensures independence in spirit of independent directors and their active participation in functioning of the company.
Samsung inks MoU with Ministry to open 2 more technical schools
- Samsung Indi ahas signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) to open two more technical training schools in Bengaluru and
- MSME-Samsung Technical School Scholarship programme for girls and differently-abled trainees. 1,000 girls and differently-abled trainees will get Rs 20,000.
- A Meritorious Reward Programme for toppers– Rs. 20,000 to toppers
- The government joined hands with Samsung to creating an industry-ready workforce and provide industry-oriented skills to our youth under the Skill India programme.
- They also working together to promote ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Yojana’ to generate awareness about various welfare schemes for girls in the country.
People in News
Param Jit Mann appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Republic Slovenia
- Param Jit Mann has been appointed as the Ambassador of India to the Republic of Slovenia.
- Currently he was working as the Ambassador of India to the Slovak Republic
Shashi Shekhar Vempati named CEO of public broadcaster Prasar Bharati
- Part-time member of Prasar Bharati, Shashi Shekhar Vempati was appointed as the CEO of New Delhi based public broadcaster Prasar Bharati
- He has over two decades of experience as a technocrat with specialization in areas of corporate management, technology consulting and digital media.
- Prasar Bharati; is India’s largest public broadcasting agency. It is an autonomous body set up by an Act of Parliament and comprises Doordarshan Television Network and All India Radio.
Indian-origin Leo Varadkar to be next Ireland PM
- Indian-origin doctor Leo Varadkar (38) was elected as Taoiseach of Ireland by country’s governing Fine Gael party after he secured 60% of the vote
- Varadkar is the successor of Enda Kenny who stepped down as Prime Minister earlier this year
- He will become the country’s youngest-ever and first homosexual Prime Minister-in-waiting.
Veteran journalist T.S.V. Hari dead
- Hari was a former IANS Bureau Chief. He started as a crime reporter and later switched to political reporting.
- He wrote for the Free Press Journal and later worked for Amrita Bazaar Patrika and Indian Express before joining IANS.
- He wrote for the satirical magazine “Thuglak” under the pseudonym Venkat and Tamil script for B.R. Chopra’s Mahabarata tele-serial.
- Hari was a linguist fluent in Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Hindi, Marathi, Punjabi and German.
‘Kavikko’ Abdul Rahman passes away
- Tamil poet Abdul Rahman passed away in Chennai
- He was popularly known as ‘Kavikko’. Abdul Rahman received several awards and honours includes ‘Kalaimamani’ title in 1989, and ‘Agni Akshara’ Award in 1992.
- He also received the Sahitya Akademi award in 1999 for his collection of poems, Aalapanai.
Science & Technology
IIT Kharagpur develops technology for doctors to monitor hospital-bound patients
- The technology has been developed in the SWAN lab of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) of the institute.
- AmbuSens is capable of wireless monitoring of various physiological parameters like ECG, heart-rate, temperature and blood-pressure.
- It can be fittedin an ambulance to ensure remote monitoring of patient condition by the doctors even before they reach the hospital.
- The web interface of the AmbuSens system provides an easy-to-use graphical interface for doctors and paramedics.
- It can be accessed from internet-enabled laptops, tablets and smartphones. The embedded system of AmbuSens includes both hardware and software.
- The patient will be fitted with wireless body sensors, which will help doctors of both referred and referee hospitals to continuously monitor the health condition of the patients in real-time.
BEML bags Raksha Mantri’s award
- Bengaluru headquartered Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) has won the ‘Raksha Mantri’s Award for Excellence’under the group award category for design and development of 180 tonne class electric hydraulic excavator –
- BE1800E is the biggest-ever excavator designed and developed in India.
- It is packed with leading-edge technologies, and it is cost-efficient and an emission-free alternative to engine-driven excavators.
Sports Current Affairs
Indian wild card Nitin wins Asian Junior Tennis Championship boys singles title
- Indian wild card Nitin Kumar Sinha defeated Malaysian player Christian Didier Chin to win the boys singles title of HCL Asian Junior Tennis Championship held at the Shri Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex, Mahalunge – Balewadi, in Pune.
- Sinha defeated Chin in a final match held at the Shri Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex, Mahalunge – Balewadi, in Pune.
Ganeshan Neelakanta Iyer first Indian to be inducted in ITTF URC
- Ganeshan Neelakanta Iyer has become the first Indian to be nominated as a member of the Umpires and Referees Committee (URC) by International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF).
- URC look all the technical issues involving in the sport.
- The mandate of the committee is to oversee the training, certification, appointment and performance of umpires and referees.