Download : 5th Apr, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
National Current Affairs
PowerTex India scheme for powerloom sector
- It is a gamut of schemes aimed at development of powerloom sector in India with a special focus on small powerloom weavers.
- The scheme was simultaneously launched at 45 locations across India.
Country’s longest Chenani-Nashri All-weather road tunnel inaugurated
- The tunnel is among the longest highway tunnels in Asia.
- The tunnel was built at a cost of Rs 2519 crore at an altitude of 1,200 meters above sea level. The Chenani-Nashri tunnel is India’s 1st and the world’s 6th tunnel to have transverse ventilation system, providing fresh air to passengers.
International Center for Foot and Mouth Disease inaugurated
- This centre will play a key role in protecting livestock from Foot-and-Mouth Disease Virus (FMDV).
- The estimated cost has been Rs. 450 crore. Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) has funded the establishment cost. 100 acres of land for the centre has been provided by Odisha State Govt.
Mizoram becomes 27th State to join UDAY scheme
- The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between Government of India (GoI) and Mizoram under the scheme Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY).
- By this agreement Mizoram would get an overall net benefit of approximately 198 crores by participating in UDAY.
- This benefit is achieved in the way of cheaper funds, reduction in Aggregate Technical and Commercial (AT&C) and transmission losses and interventions in energy efficiency.
Business & Economy
SBI merged with all its subsidiaries and entered in the league of top 50 Global Banks
- State Bank of India (SBI) successfully merged with its five associate banks and Bharatiya Mahila Bank.
- By this merger, SBI entered the league of Top 50 Global Banks which ranks 44th and a balance sheet size of Rs 41 lakh crore along with the new logo.
- The associate banks of SBI are
1.State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur,
2.State Bank of Hyderabad,
3.State Bank of Mysore,
4.State Bank of Patiala and
5.State Bank of Travancore.
NDB invests USD 1.5 billion in 7 projects in past 2 years of operation
- New Development Bank (NDB) backed by BRICS has invested a total of USD 1.5 billion through 7 projects in the year 2015 and 2016.
- Out of the seven projects, six of the projects were from renewable sectors and one in transport financing The first ever project signed by NDB is with China in December, 2016. The second loan was signed with projects in India.
- The NDB is planning to raise up-to $500 million through ‘masala bonds’and increase its exposure to infrastructure projects in India.
- Bank has an approval to raise 10 billion renminbi from China, out of which it has raised 3 billion renminbi.
- New Development Bank (NDB) is a multilateral development bank established by the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa)
Full Multi-Crore Heavy Duty Satellite to be made by Private sector
- For the first time, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) assigned a task of making two Full Multi-Crore Heavy Duty Satellites to Alpha Design Technologies, a private sector high-tech defense equipment supplier.
- The NAVIC or the Swadeshi GPS system is fully functional. But to be on a safer side, ISRO needs two spare satellites on the ground for a quick launch in case something went wrong. So this project is carried out.
- This decision was made by ISRO after almost 150 missions and three decades of space explorations, seeking help from a private industry to make a full navigation satellite.
People in News
Rajiv Kumar Chander appointed as Permanent Representative to Geneva UN offices from India
- Rajiv Kumar Chander, who is from 1983 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer, has been appointed the Ambassador and Permanent Representative of India to the UN offices in Geneva (UNOG)
- He will succeeds Ajit Kumar, who is from 1979 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) at the Geneva office in May, 2017.
- Rajiv Kumar Chander first assignment abroad was at the Embassy of India in Moscow.
- After that, he worked as First Secretary (Political) in Germany and then in New Delhi as Director (UN) in early 1990’s.
- Chander served as Deputy Permanent Representative in the Geneva office from 2006 to 2009.
Science & Technology
MP E-Nagarpalika APP launched by Madhya Pradesh to provide Municipal Services Online
- Madhya Pradesh government has launched mobile application MP e-Nagarpalika to provide various municipal services online.
- The mobile app is the part of Rs 225-crore e-nagarpalika project, under which all municipal services would be made available online on a unified web platform.
- A total of 378 services which includes online payment of property tax, seeking building permission, birth, marriage and death certificates are provided through this app.
- In addition, the app will also register complaints related to garbage, water and streetlights.
- Online payment gateway is made available on this app.
Sports Current Affairs
Grant Elliott announces Retirement from International cricket
- New Zealand all-rounder Grant Elliott has confirmed his retirement from international cricket
- He will retire from cricket after playing his last T20 series against
- Grant Elliott is a former New Zealand cricketer, who played all formats of the game.
Three world records held by Jepkosgei at Prague Half Marathon
- Joyciline Jepkosgeiof Kenya broke three world records by winning the Prague Half Marathon in Czech Republic
- Defending champion Violah Jepchumba and Fancy Chemutai, both from Kenya finished 2nd and 3rd
- Joyciline Jepkosgei passed 10 km mark at 30:05 breaking previous record of 30:21 set by Paula Radcliffe in 2003.
- She crossed 15 km mark at 45:37 which surpassed the world record of 46:14 set by Florence Kiplagat in 2015.
- Jepkosgei finished the race with 1:04:52 beating world record time of 1:05:06 set by Peres Jepchirchir at the Ras Al Khaimah Half Marathon in UAE.
- Prague Half Marathon is an annual half marathon road running event which takes place in spring on the city streets of Prague in Czech Republic.