- Hours before the meeting between Ukraine and Russia over the cut in gas prices, Pro-russian rebels in the eastern provinces of Luhansk in Ukraine launched intense offensive against govt troops killing around 49 troops.
- US accused Russia of abetting the attacks by providing the rebels with tanks and rockets – which was denied by Russia.
- Ukrainian Prez vowed to clear out all the rebels by intensifying the attacks. Meanwhile cars bearing Russian Embassy flags were torn down in broad daylight in the presence of police who did not intervene.
- In Mariupol, which was captured by the govt troops clashes resulted in the death of 3 others.
- Europe expressed extreme concern over the escalating crisis and highlighted the necessity of a ceasefire.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/49-killed-as-rebels-down-ukrainian-military-plane/article6115873.ece